What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supposedly Solid Source Shares Details on Next-Gen iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ipad-air-and-mini.jpg

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently revealed some juicy details regarding the next generation iPad Air and iPad Mini. Kuo has a reputation for being accurate with his leaked intel, so it is probably worth out attention. Here's the skinny on what he shared,

According to the report, Apple’s second-generation iPad Air model will be a relatively minor upgrade that features the same design as the current model, for the most part. Key additions include a Touch ID fingerprint scanner embedded in the home button, an upgraded camera and a new A8 processor.

Similarly, Kuo claimed that the new iPad mini with Retina display will be largely the same as the current model, but with a new A8 chipset and a Touch ID scanner.

“We think the upgraded iPad Air will be launched earlier in 2014 than the iPad Air was in 2013. The biggest changes will be A8 processor, Touch ID (fingerprint recognition), and main camera resolution of 8MP,†Kuo wrote.

He continued, “We previously thought Apple would not release a new version of the iPad mini this year, but we now think Apple will launch an upgraded version with same form factor, A8 processor and Touch ID (fingerprint recognition) to boost shipments of iPad mini with Retina display.â€

Kuo also said that the current-generation iPad mini with Retina display will remain in Apple’s tablet lineup at a lower price point.

At this time, it seems likely that Kuo's predictions seem probable. Of course, no one is infallible and Apple is famous for tight security. We will keep our eyes open and share any new details as they become available.

Source: BGR

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think one the big questions is whether or not the new Air will have 2GB of RAM. Seems to be a major issue for some folks.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think one the big questions is whether or not the new Air will have 2GB of RAM. Seems to be a major issue for some folks.

Yes. 2 GB of RAM. And what about better pixel density? Retina display doesn't mean anything now because of other devices with better pixel density.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMO, the Air doesn't need better pixel density. If Apple goes that way, they are simply battling on specs (like others). However, the additional RAM would probably improve performance and that will be welcome. Since they have gone 64-bit, it only makes sense to increase the RAM. Touch ID is welcome too, but I won't replace by current retina Mini to get that. However, now that office is available on the iPad, along with Lightroom, I might get an Air this year. I think the Air along with a keyboard and cloud storage (I currently have 48 GB of Onedrive space) make the iPad a killer laptop alternative for some things I do.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But honestly, the iPad Air is a gery powerful device. I may not upgrade until its dead if I have one.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the current iPad air is an excellent tablet, however the extra ram and touch id will be a great addition in the new model, and as long as there is no price increase, which apple to their credit have done so wonderfully, and benefited from it and keeping the compitition in their toes. (good for us consumers)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One feature I'd like to see implemented is where if you have one touch-ID device, then you can use it to command your other non-touch ID devices to automatically unlock when the two devices are near. That way, if you bought a 2013 iPad but then got an iPhone 5s or 6, with Touch ID, then just using touch ID on one device but having it hear your other devices will save you from having to use the passcode. Of course, it would be nice to have a timer on how long the other devices will not need the passcode.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the current iPad air is an excellent tablet, however the extra ram and touch id will be a great addition in the new model, and as long as there is no price increase, which apple to their credit have done so wonderfully, and benefited from it and keeping the compitition in their toes. (good for us consumers)

that is a great idea that i would have never thought of, this idea should be forwarded to Apple :thumbs:

Most reactions