What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4G LTE, 3 G, & E Issues with Current Carrier

Berean4Him

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to try and come up with a different phrase than "Good Morning" as we have so many in different time zones! So to start, Good day to all!
Okay, here is my issue. Having mentioned in my intro I have some issues that basically caused me we'll say to, "re-arrange" my life. I sold things I probably couldn't use anymore in exchange for an iPad (which I have been wanting anyway for quite some time). So it seems I held back my money for the "right" time and they came out with the iPad 4, newer operating system, and 128gb version! I was all in! My dilema was I had to pick a provider/carrier but because I own it outright no 2 year commitment. In NY I was given 3 choices, AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.

I had at least two sound years with Verizon 4G as my PC internet provider through a USB Modem on my PC (2years before as 3G), problem was I couldn't use the device as a "hotspot" as it only plugged into one PC at a time and although I agreed with the "upgrade" for a free 4G Modem, I never during my new two year commitment required ever received any 4G signal. Phone calls over the the time period assured me they were "upgrading towers". So before I bought my iPad I made some calls, checked on-line coverage maps, and felt I did a diligent study before settling with AT&T this time.

What I found is this. I live in a Rural area, basically all country, five miles outside of the nearest village. BUT AT&T showed 4G coverage anyway. The iPad arrives, I'm sure we all can recall the excitement then!, I called to set up my new service. I should mention the 128gb version was hard to find anywhere in stock. We have a "Wholesale" club both on-line and 35 miles away that also offered the 4th Gen 128gb, but only had it on-line. The difference is they were 10.00 less than Apple BUT offered a longer extended warranty for a lot less! So I have a four year extended warranty.

Okay, AT&T sets me up, took them some time, hours, to get it done. Still had issues so I had to call back next day
:(:(:(, next day they get things figured out, I'm up an running but occasonally got "4G" and then "E", never "3G". This has been going on since March 22, when I received my iPad. My wife has a Kindle Fire, (are we allowed to say that here?), and she wanted in on the action of finally being able to connect at home for the first time in years without share our USB modem computer to computer. Whenever she connected it would "wipe me out" as everything came to a stand still, not enough speed or bandwidth to handle us both at once.

Throughout the many, many calls for help to tech support I was assured I am in the 4G LTE service area by almost everyone I talked to, except for the other day! Finally, I connected to a tech support agent who was VERY familiar with my area and he told me that I will never get 4g LTE but should get 4G, no 3G, and yes, "E"! I was horrified as I have almost 1100.00 of hard earned/saved money into my iPad. Sprint is not an option, and Verizon had for the most part consistent 3G.

Well, back to the same story, AT&T is telling me they are upgrading their towers, Verizon is now telling me that they have 4G in my area, and I am at a loss of what to do as I am now down to days to return this iPad and hope a Verizon one is available. In every case I used my "street address with number" to verify if I had coverage, I am really disappointed at how many employees led me to believe I had the 4G LTE coverage! Finally a mangager gets on the phone yesterday and has me download an app called, "Mark The Spot" and asked me to give it 24-48 hours to see what's wrong as he felt I should be getting the 4G without LTE.

Apparently AT&T does not have any 3G towers in the area at all, its either 4G or E only. My zip codes are 14527, 14842, and 14837 that I am in the middle of if this helps anyone. I only have until the 18th for an exchange and even that is "iffy" as some say 14 day exchange, others 30 at the wholesale club. I have talked to "supervisors" who were no help either and never let me know I am not in the full 4G coverage area, at times I couldn't even get an answer of what E meant until I went on-line and found out for myself that it basically means 2G!

Sorry I have to add one more
:(! Any suggestions? should I trust that Verizon now has 4G and make the exchange? Or should I just stick with the E to 4G bounce until towers get upgraded? Sorry to be so long winded, but that's the short version of what I have been going through, thank you for all replies. I should mention, the manager had me do a Network Resetting. It may have helped a little but still get the E.

Last edited:
OP
Berean4Him

Berean4Him

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I would add when I do receive 4G, it is usally 1 or 2 bars, today I note I actually reached a 3rd bar!

OP
Berean4Him

Berean4Him

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after 333 people looked at this post I guess there aren't any ideas here either. Not your fault that AT&T employees lied to me and Verizon strung me along for years never getting the all elusive 4G while being told the towers were being upgraded, (just not mine), of course the same thing with AT&T now that I found out the truth, 848kbps-3.7bbps & 95-31kbps just doesn't equal 4G, never mind 4G LTE! So I can't let another company string me along for years and unfortunately I'll have to make the 70 mile minimum round trip to bring back my long awaited iPad 4Gen 128gb. I am usually not a complainer, learned to roll with the punches, but this one really hurt! Hours of phone time with tech support instead of an apology saying I'm not in the full coverage zone or that E doesn't even mean 3G! It will be hard to bite my tongue tomorrow as I'm sure no one is going to apologize and hand me gas money to cover my expenses, it's not really the retailer's fault but I did ask questions before the purchase. I will keep registered here and occasionally see what's new. Appreciate those who extended the welcome!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after 333 people looked at this post I guess there aren't any ideas here either. Not your fault that AT&T employees lied to me and Verizon strung me along for years never getting the all elusive 4G while being told the towers were being upgraded, (just not mine), of course the same thing with AT&T now that I found out the truth, 848kbps-3.7bbps & 95-31kbps just doesn't equal 4G, never mind 4G LTE! So I can't let another company string me along for years and unfortunately I'll have to make the 70 mile minimum round trip to bring back my long awaited iPad 4Gen 128gb. I am usually not a complainer, learned to roll with the punches, but this one really hurt! Hours of phone time with tech support instead of an apology saying I'm not in the full coverage zone or that E doesn't even mean 3G! It will be hard to bite my tongue tomorrow as I'm sure no one is going to apologize and hand me gas money to cover my expenses, it's not really the retailer's fault but I did ask questions before the purchase. I will keep registered here and occasionally see what's new. Appreciate those who extended the welcome!

Just a suggestion here, I'm finding it impossible to read the first post in the the thread (and the quoted one) as it's just a big block of text. If you split it up with paragraphs it may help folks read it all and provide some assistance.

The Archangel

OP
Berean4Him

Berean4Him

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was forced to return my iPad. Gave me full refund at Store. AT&T although they were very dishonest with me refuses to return my 36.00 "Activation fee" for a service I never received. I am currently working with Verizon, although they didn't get 4G in my area at least they were honest about that they were upgrading their towers.

According to Verizon from several sources everyone should be on 4G before the end of the year. Maybe not 4G LTE (unless metropolitan), but at least 4G where the iPad can be used as a HotSpot. This time I will wait, I wish the iPad had a port for an external antenna! I will be getting an external antenna for a Verizon HotSpot, if it works out and the funds become available again, I will check to see what iPad varieties are available!

Most reactions

Latest posts