What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 4 to android file transfer

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have Ipad4 with iOS 6.1 and galaxy tab2 with latest android version. I wish to transfer pdf and .doc files (which i edit or create on ipad) from ipad to tab2 without using internet. I have words and docs2go on ipad. I tried a lot of things including bump but could not figure out.

Can anybody please guide me with this

rocki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vicks said:
Hi,

I have Ipad4 with iOS 6.1 and galaxy tab2 with latest android version. I wish to transfer pdf and .doc files (which i edit or create on ipad) from ipad to tab2 without using internet. I have words and docs2go on ipad. I tried a lot of things including bump but could not figure out.

Can anybody please guide me with this

Hi there. Why you dont want to use internet? Easyst way is dropbox. But offline mode - over bluetooth maybe ? Grab some file manager that support bluetooh transfer

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am aware of how to do it over internet and thats how i do it. Sometimes i need to transfer files offline. Moreover once android i can easily share with others via bluetooh.

Most of the file sharing apps for ipad are for photos.. but i wish to transfer doc files and could not figure out how??

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it only works between ipad, iphone and other idevices..does not work with android..

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you had an app on both platforms that supports bluetooth file transfer, you could do it, if the iOS apps lets you.

The other way is to use a device like an Air stash, which has its own wifi. Both devices could connect to its wifi and you do you transfer that way. For this to work, the app on the app has to let you have the document to the Air Stash. The iWork apps all support WebDav so they work. Just remember that iOS is app centric, so you need the app you allow you to send files (documents) out of it. Many files cannot be accessed outside of the app that owns it without this process.

OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
problem is i cant find such any such application..

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
problem is i cant find such any such application..

Get an Air Stash....it has it's own wifi AP built in....so you log both devices onto it...save the file (must be app support, like Pages, Keynote, Goodreader)...then write from one, read to the other. There are several other wifi drives on the market too, like the Gaunlet Node or the Seagate GoFlex Satellite. These all basically work the same way and can be used with any tablet -- well, the app still must provide some means to get the file out. WebDAV is what is used by iWork apps and GoodReader.

I too would like to know how to do this...but iPad doesn't support bluetooth this way unless there is an app that does it. Have you done a search in the app store yet?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, that suggest a method that might work from iOS to Android, though it's limited.

You need to be on the same wi-fi network, but do not need internet.
You can only transfer apps that are stored in the iOS app being used.

Some apps are capable of creating a website style address. GoodReader is one of those. Since it's the closest thing you'll find to a file management tool on the iPad, it's a good choice.

Using Open In or some other method you copy the file(s) to GoodReader.

When you turn on web access in GoodReader, it gives you an IP address. You enter that IP address in the browser of a device on the same network and you can access files in GoodReader, and download them.

It works with a computer. I've never had reason (or the device) to try it with Android.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will try this and report back.

Edit: I love GoodReader. This works perfectly, twerppoet. Just get the file to GoodReader using "Open In", hit the little wifi button at the bottom...it sets up a web server...in my case at 192.168.1.7:8080. Then you type that into the url line in your Andriod Web Browser....then you get a listing showing you folders in GoodReader...then click one, find your file, and it downloads to your Android device (in my case, a Nexus 10). It should work on any device that can surf the web.

I have several other apps that can setup a web server...this is how movies are transfers from a PC to AVPlayerHD. FileExplorer can set up an FTP Server. Photo Transfer App can do this too, which means you don't need another iOS device on the other side. That's four apps that I own that can do this. I'm sure there are other apps that can do this. I'm not sure how this works on public wifi....that 192.168 thing is an internal (home side), access point addressing scheme.

Of course, for this to work you need some kind of wifi to log into [this doesn't necessarily imply internet access, either]. Portable access point might be a traveling solution for one who often finds him/herself not having access to wifi. Or, a device like an Air Stash would serve this and other needs too. Or a Gaunlet Node, or a Wi-Drive, iUSBport, or a SeaGate Goflex Satellite....and several other devices in this class.

Bottom line: if you want to do this offline, your choices probably are 1) jailbreak (I know nothing of this), 2) try public wifi, 3) bring portable wifi, 4) Wifi Drive. Those last three require the right app and spending some money.

I guess it is still possibe there is some iOS app that provides wide-open Bluetooth file transfers, so that any app can be on the other end...but that solution has not presented itself yet. AFAIK, iOS does not natively support this.

Last edited:
OP
V

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so its not possible without jailbreak..thanks a lot..well may be i shold read abt jailbreak.. semms to add a lot of new features..:)

Most reactions

Latest posts