What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 not working

Reaction score
HI

have had the iPad 4 from release date with no issues but yesterday while charging had fallen down the side of the chair and got very hot it took a while to cool down but was ok to use but didnt last long before it ran out I tried to charge but now won't charge so thought it was the battery so bought a new one but still doesn't charge so thought it was the charging port so bought a new on but still doesn't charge so any help would be much appreciated please

thanks andrew

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi l'm no expert but until they wake up, l guess you know that the idea would have been to return your iPad to Apple for help.
Anyway job done, if you had it connected to the wall socket is it possible that the plug or cable are damaged?
Maybe you have another you can try or clean any fluff from the cable

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When the iPad got very hot after the fall, it could have been the result of some internal damage. Normally I'd recommend a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store but since you've already attempted a repair, Apple will no longer diagnose or service it. Are there any third party repair shops in your area where you can get a diagnostic done? This would save wasting money on unnecessary parts.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know this doesn't really help but did the iPad in question have a case on it to protect it from falls? I'm not a expert but judging from the fact that the iPad got hot hot I'm guessing it overheated and that might have damaged the battery.

OP
T
Reaction score
i did buy and install a new battery but still does not turn on would it still connect to iTunes with no screen on it

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought iPad batteries are not replaceable looking at iPads in general it would be hard to get to the battery.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought iPad batteries are not replaceable looking at iPads in general it would be hard to get to the battery.

Well, Brian can provide a better answer from experience, but many items can be 'fixed' on iPads and even as a DIY job, if willing (and 'lucky' from my reading); as an example, your iPad Mini 2 battery can certainly be replaced - checkout the iFixit Website (pic below from the link) - looks quite difficult to me. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 2.34.23 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad screens are glued to the case with a very strong adhesive and even experts sometimes break the screen trying to get it off.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess that is good to know but I would never attempt that myself it looks really hard. Any how mine is still healthy yet since I just got it at the start of the year.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I guess that is good to know but I would never attempt that myself it looks really hard. Any how mine is still healthy yet since I just got it at the start of the year.

Hi Thomas - LOL! ;) I've looked at iFixit guides for a while but agree would never want to try a fix on my own, plus I'm a pretty good amateur woodworker w/ a rather decent basement shop, and could give it a try if I had the patience.

If you went to that link, the first 30 steps/pics are just getting the glued on screen off (as mentioned by SciFan..) using little 'sandbags' heated in a MW oven, a suction cup, and multiple thin plastic picks - one of the first pics shown below - no thanks - Brian will likely 'chime in' w/ his comments. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 6.07.34 PM.png

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Getting a screen off is not for the faint of heart. Lots of adhesive involved and removal requires heat and patience. My secret weapon is a $20 toaster oven. I place the iPad in at 70 degrees Celsius for 8-10 minutes and then use about 6 guitar picks to break the seal. Batteries are even harder to remove due to the adhesive and there is a high risk of puncturing the battery during removal. If you puncture the old battery it could catch fire or explode.
However the point I want or make is that the battery is often not the issue. It's usually a charge port or power circuit on the logic board. Keep in mind that there are literally millions of iPad 2s out there with 6 year old batteries that still hold a charge relatively fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts