What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 factory settings

cris03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

This could be one of the common questions here.

>How can I perform the factory reset?
>Is factory reset can delete all information from my iPad including the old account and will look like a new one?
>Is it going to be like the first time I opened my iPad?

Need some inputs since the very first email that I set up is a company email and no longer existing. It was already locked during the update and I cannot figure out how can I access my device. I already called apple support and they did unlock my device with the help of my proof of purchase. My only problem is how can I delete the very first email that I set up since it is no longer active to activate a new email or itunes account.

Every suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A factory reset will erase everything on the iPad, leaving it in the same state it was in when you first opened the box. This includes the old email address used as you Apple ID.

Since you no longer have access to that email address, you'll have to set up a new Apple ID and password. This means that you will no longer have access to any apps, music, or other iTunes content purchased with that old ID.

This is why it's not a good idea to use an email address tied to your ISP or your place of employment as an Apple ID. Using an email address from a provider such as Yahoo, which is accessible from anywhere in the world is a good choice as an Apple ID.

OP
C

cris03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much @scifan57. The only remaining question I think is how can I perform the factory reset? Is it the one that you can do with itunes?

I tried to perform factory reset with itunes earlier but an error occurred stating that it cannot do the update which comes with the reset. Will the reset can delete as well the icloud log ins so I can register a new one?

I really appreciate your time answering all my query.

Thanks again!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your internet connection is weak, a restore through iTunes may fail. If you get it to work, you'll be offered the option to set it up as a new iPad or from a backup. Choose to set it up as a new iPad and when you get to the point of entering Apple ID details, use the new Apple ID and password you've created.

You can also do the factory restore on the iPad itself by going to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. Once the iPad is erased, proceed to set it up with the new Apple ID and password as with the iTunes restore.

OP
C

cris03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your internet connection is weak, a restore through iTunes may fail. If you get it to work, you'll be offered the option to set it up as a new iPad or from a backup. Choose to set it up as a new iPad and when you get to the point of entering Apple ID details, use the new Apple ID and password you've created.

You can also do the factory restore on the iPad itself by going to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. Once the iPad is erased, proceed to set it up with the new Apple ID and password as with the iTunes restore.

Hello scifan57,

I am trying to do the reset now unfortunately it still ask for a password for the old account. Anyway I can do this without the password needed?

cris03

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello scifan57,

I am trying to do the reset now unfortunately it still ask for a password for the old account. Anyway I can do this without the password needed?

cris03
If you're talking about the password connected with your old Apple ID, your first post said Apple fixed that problem, known as iCloud Activation Lock.

OP
C

cris03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're talking about the password connected with your old Apple ID, your first post said Apple fixed that problem, known as iCloud Activation Lock.

Actually, I am really confused with this one now. My iPad has been locked (disabled) after the upgrade of IOS or the software if I am not mistaken. They (Apple) did unlocked my device so I can have an access to it. I am not very familiar with this kind of system. My device still ask me to put the password of the first setup that I made and I thought they (Apple) will be doing the reset as well since I mentioned during the call that I don't have any access to my company email to retrieve or reset the password of my device. Apple just let me have an access to it but still the iPad ask for the password that I first set up.

Thank you again @scifan57 for a very quick response.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting Apple again? Maybe they could help you at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store.

Most reactions