What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4.2 OS Coming in November

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-42-soon.jpg

We are nearly two months away from a major OS update that should make your iPad feel brand new again. Apple has posted a new informational page reminding us of all the features this upgrade will bring. The scheduled release is November and the wait will be worth it. Here's a quick run down for those that might have missed it:

• Multitasking: Run all your favorite apps — and switch between them instantly — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.2
  • Folders: Organize apps into folders with drag-and-drop simplicity. Get faster access to your favorites and browse and manage thousands of apps.
  • Printing: Print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network.
  • Air Play: Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.
  • Game Center: Experience social gaming on your iPad. Find friends or use auto-match to play multiplayer games against new opponents. Track achievements and compare high scores.
  • Even better mail: See messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize messages by threads, and open attachments in third-party apps.
  • Find text on web pages: In Safari, easily find and highlight specific words and phrases on large web pages.
  • Enhanced enterprise support: Businesses can take advantage of stronger security features, new device management capabilities, and improved enterprise integration.
  • Accessibility enhancements: Control VoiceOver using a wireless keyboard. Output in braille to over 30 supported wireless Bluetooth refreshable braille displays in more than 25 languages.
  • Keyboard and dictionary enhancements: Choose from more than 30 new keyboards and dictionaries, including Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew.
Source: Apple - iPad - iOS 4.2 Software Update coming in November

Irrational

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope they also use this upgrade to fix VGA out issues such as mirror the video on the iPad and allow any app to output to a projector. In fact, why not be able to direct the entire iPad image to the projector as I can with my netbook? As a teacher, not having these features really limits how I can use the iPad in the classroom.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
November, that's great. Why not next week?
To give app developers time to create apps that will exploit the capabilities of the new iOS so there will be plenty of apps available the day the upgrade comes out?

Athlwulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Video Out

I hope they also use this upgrade to fix VGA out issues such as mirror the video on the iPad and allow any app to output to a projector. In fact, why not be able to direct the entire iPad image to the projector as I can with my netbook? As a teacher, not having these features really limits how I can use the iPad in the classroom.

I agree, however, I think that the video out issue is not really something that they will "Fix" as it is not really a bug. I use the iPad for teaching and agree that there are many times where I wanted to show what I was doing, however, I also see the value of only showing the audience only the intended output. I always have found it unprofessional to show the desktop in a presentation, however, sometimes it is necessary especially if you are wanting to show a class how to use the device.

While it is not perfect, I found an app the other day called 2Screens that will at least allow you to show the web browser as well as an interactive whiteboard. What I would really like to see is a developer publish an app that does what Steve does in his Keynotes. At present, the only way to do this is to jailbreak the iPad, which I'm not quite willing to do.:(

jaybrass73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't wait, the iPhone's are on IOS4 but iPad's are still 3.2.2. Really want the folder function - roll on November!!

Most reactions

Latest posts