What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G uses data whilst asleep

bengenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone could set me straight here as I have 2x 3G iPads and they both show up with data usage on my carrier's daily usage report even when I havent used them for days. During this period they are asleep (not totally off). I was wondering if anyone else had seen this, and perhaps could explain it? The data amounts arent huge (<50kb) but I would like to know how to stop it if possible without having to fully shutdown the devices. (they are business iPads and I need to track usuage but these little data downloads/uploads make this hard for me.
Cheers
Ben

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's probably caused by iTunes checking for updates for apps, etc.

If you're on a time-metered data plan (in contrast to a bandwidth-metered one), and want to completely turn off all data transfer, just change the APN to an invalid one.

This works for most carriers that require a specific APN (and on an iPhone, or using the SwirlySMS app, GSM capabilities like SMS and voice calls are not disabled, only the internet capabilities are). Some carriers don't require a valid APN though, so you might want to check if you can browse the web after invalidating your APN.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try going into "Settings" and turning on "Airplane Mode", this should stop any communications from occurring. You could also try turning off "Cellular Data" and in "Mail, Contacts..." Turn off "Fetch New Data". Try "Airplane Mode" first.:)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you access your email on your iPad, it keeps updating that.

OP
B

bengenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the iPads doesnt use mail but still uses data whilst 'asleep'. It could be iTunes checking itself I guess. Im just surprised that any thing happens at all whilst its 'asleep'.

Most reactions