What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g data use

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I use my iPhones micro sim card with unlimited data on my iPad 2? I'm always on my work iPhone and wouldn't mind being with out my personal iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

There have been some posts on the Forum that suggest that AT&T don't allow this, for some reason and that you need a special iPad data plan. I'm not sure how they 'stop' it, though. Have you simply tried it? In the UK the situation seems to vary carrier-by-carrier - I have a '3' microSIM ('3' is a UK service provider) and there's no problem.

Tim
Scotland

what happens if someone trys to ring or text you while the sim is in the ipad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I use my iPhones micro sim card with unlimited data on my iPad 2? I'm always on my work iPhone and wouldn't mind being with out my personal iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

There have been some posts on the Forum that suggest that AT&T don't allow this, for some reason and that you need a special iPad data plan. I'm not sure how they 'stop' it, though. Have you simply tried it? In the UK the situation seems to vary carrier-by-carrier - I have a '3' microSIM ('3' is a UK service provider) and there's no problem.

Tim
Scotland

From your perspective on the iPad - nothing. You do not receive the call or text, of course.

The caller's text message is forwarded from their phone to your network. It cannot be delivered and, if requested by the originator, a report is returned to them after the 'expire by' date specified by them. The message is then deleted from the sending network.

If the originator attempts to call you the response they get will be network dependent. Either they will get a 'number unavailable' indication or their call will be transferred to voice mail.

Tim

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

From your perspective on the iPad - nothing. You do not receive the call or text, of course.

The caller's text message is forwarded from their phone to your network. It cannot be delivered and, if requested by the originator, a report is returned to them after the 'expire by' date specified by them. The message is then deleted from the sending network.

If the originator attempts to call you the response they get will be network dependent. Either they will get a 'number unavailable' indication or their call will be transferred to voice mail.

Tim

so the message never gets delivered or will it get delivered when you put the sim back in the iphone?

thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

so the message never gets delivered or will it get delivered when you put the sim back in the iphone?

thanks

It will be delivered if the SIM is put back before the expiry time specified by the originator - they can set this up on their phone - otherwise it will not be delivered. Since you do not know what delivery expiry time they have set (probably was the default of 72 hours) you risk missing it.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts