What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Data Usage too high?

jalexsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello....

I'm new here...and new to the iPad, but I have a problem, or what seems to be a problem. I have a 32GB iPad 3G and I signed up for AT&T's 250MB/month data plan. It seems to be sucking too much data from the network. I signed up for the plan on Monday (7/25) and used it very lightly. I had 3G on today for less than 10 minutes and I only opened Pulse news reader and the Weather Channel app, but it used up 9.2MB of data. I have push notifications off, and push emails off. It's done this every time.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Alex Smith

OP
J

jalexsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, never watched video at all. Just looked at the 36-hour forecast. Read a few news articles in Pulse and that's about it. Had it running for less than 10 minutes.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Also how many email accounts do you have setup? and how often are they checking for emails. The email app runs all the time and checks every 15 minutes. If you have an exchange or mobile me account it can use up bandwidth even more.

Also, Safari web browser is always running. If you have a webpage open thats set to auto refresh something, it could be reloading the website without you noticing.

I think very view people can do ok with 250mb/month plan. Unless your always connected to wifi.

Last edited:
OP
J

jalexsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only have one email account setup - MobileMe. I have it setup to fetch data every 15 minutes. I keep windows closed in Safari.

I think I'll end up getting the 2GB/month plan, but I'm not sure even that will last me through the month at this rate. I'm very careful and don't use it much. It's just odd that after having it on for less than 10 minutes to read update Pulse reader and check the weather forecast that it uses over 9MB of data. Maybe Pulse pulled all of that data? I do have 8 or 9 sources that I get articles from. Even that doesn't make sense though.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Most reactions

Latest posts