What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Joybulb said:
Won't happen till next march or April, that's how apple does things

Noo, not really..lol. They can change the game up anytime they wish. The ball is in their court and can play however they want. Just like people didn't think ipad2 was reality already, same thing gonna be for ipad3. People justify the reasoning by saying ohhhh..it falls within the release schedule. Noe of the release schedules has been precisely exact. Same day, same time, every year. Just like now they're world wide release schedule has changed from b4. releasing sooner worldwide thn expected. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though..lol ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

rdclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a third generation iPad comes out soon, I would have to get free because I would just return my iPad 2 because of light leakage and they would probably have to gve me an iPad 3 for it.

If only. But no, they keep stock of replacements for any models that are still under warranty or Applecare. So you always get the same exact model as a warranty replacement.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
.... So Apple thrives in rumorville. I believe Apple will change up the release scheme, and release ipad3 b4 the holidays. Watch! Ipad3 will probaly have 1gb of RAM, better cams, even faster/better processor thn the new A5, some type of new better resolution display( doesn't have to exactly be retina but better thn current models), possibly new ports(maybe thunderbolt) and it's gonna have the new IOS 5. Possibly some other new surprises also. Just as analysts speculated on ipad2 and was dead on correct, these same analysts now saying enough evidence to believe ipad3 launch b4 holidays is a real possibility. Nothing in life is guaranteed, so Never say Never. Apple can change up anytime they please. This is a business of making $$$$. Not business of being mr. Nice guy sticking to schedules and caring how people would feel if they released another model in less than a year..lol I know an ipad3 release would make ipad2 owners very mad but oh well. I hope they do release so I can upgrade my ipad1 to ipad3 ;-)

Joybulb said:
Won't happen till next march or April, that's how apple does things

LOVE THESE TOTAL CONTRADICTIONS!!!

rdclark said:
If only. But no, they keep stock of replacements for any models that are still under warranty or Applecare. So you always get the same exact model as a warranty replacement.

not true, it's in their warranty agree that if you are so far into your warranty, they will offer you a free upgrade cuz they want you to show off the latest!!!!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i cant see it happening at least until 2012 as well. and i certainly wouldn't diss Apple if they did release it early. thats progress. get used to it. nothing stands still and you must buy and purchase when you can. next week you'll be out of date. your problem not Apple's.

besides, they got time on their hands. competition is still trying to catch up with the ipad 1 even! why should Apple release an ipad3 now? other than profit, they'd have nothing to gain. they've already got the high ground and will probably still hold it for years to come. so why release a new product now? no need.

majura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The story of gadgets/tech goes like this.

Buy it (or even order it online & wait a month) and it's already 'out of date'
The worst time to buy any gadget - if you're concerned about keeping up with the Jones' - is when a product is 6 months old, because in 6 months there will most likely be a new model. Hence, buying an iPad now is a good idea. Waiting till Xmas to buy one, not so much.

As soon as a company is ready to release a new product they're already - or have been - working on the next one. Thus far Apple has been on a roll establishing itself as the one to beat and therefore can almost dictate when they want to release products to the market & competitors. All you have to do is look at Samsung and the Galaxy tab 10.1 debacle of thinking they had a worthy tablet alternative, then releasing a new thinner version under the same name within 2 months! That's where you'd have to be 'worried' about snap-release new products (but remember, you can't buy either of those tablets yet!). Regardless, this power within the tech market place has shown that 10-12 months is the minimum 'shelf-life' of an Apple product - bar the G4 Cube. I could get into the economics of R&D vs. Product/Sales Life... but basically doing what Samsung did= bad. Selling a design for as long as po$$ible=good (just look at the refreshed MBP line/rumoured iMac line refresh- same outer shell, different internals).

The rumours stem from the speculation of just what iOS 5 will enable users to do.

Fact:
details of the new iOS will be released to developers (and hence the world) at WWDC 6th of June.

Fact:
nobody but those within Apple right now knows the details of iOS 5. Unless someone has broken ranks, it's all rumour.

Like any tech company Apple wants you to buy new products- it's how they earn a crust/Bentley. However, they also know to not burn their customer base by making products obsolete after 1 year. So iOS 5 may be revolutionary and be more "magical" than ever, however I'd put money on it working without issue on the iPad 2, work on the iPad but maybe with the loss of some small features if any (might just be slower) and of course work on the yet-to-be-conceptualised iPad 3.

As mentioned, there might be a revamped iPod Touch/mini iPad 2.5 type device- a in-between device and/or smaller tablet. However, that's all just rumour.

Last edited:

jellybean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a first time ipad buyer and waited for ipad 2 before jumping in. And when the rumors of ipad 3 came out, I also was tempted to wait longer but realized that same rumors popped up for the ipad 2 during the christmas season of 2010. It makes sense to push the release date early for the christmas buying season but more I thought of it, 2 things that makes sense.

Value of apple products still retain alot of their value. If i can play with my ipad 2 for a year and the value only drop 100 to 150, thats still good compared to the rest of competitors. Second, it makes sense to keep the release date in the spring. So you have ipads coming out in spring, iphones an WWDC in the summer and ipods in fall....... basically easily stay in the news all year round. And with long ass lines from every successful launches from these products, free pubicity for Apple. If they moved all the products to the fall, which is ideal for the christmas buying season, they will fall out of the news in spring and summer, which just sounds bad.

dogenia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 1 still doing a great job for my requirements (kindle, email, pictures, movies), quite honestly I still have not heard the single one new feature that would swing me towards a new purchase.

For business I use Keynote, Numbers and Pages extensively while on the road and Goodreader takes care of the pdf files and file transfer.

If the Ipad 3 can boost the business part of my user experience, I'll be the first one on board. If not, I might still hang on to the current Ipad because it simply works.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New possibilities in hardware and software for iPads

Technically, we never know of the official word on a new product until the day they announce it. People forget to soon to how b4 ipad2 was released how much rumor and speculation went around about it. Although no one had concrete facts or Apple saying so themselves. No one "officially" knew of ipad2 until that day they had the keynote where Jobs presented it. So Apple thrives in rumorville. I believe Apple will change up the release scheme, and release ipad3 b4 the holidays. Watch! Ipad3 will probaly have 1gb of RAM, better cams, even faster/better processor thn the new A5, some type of new better resolution display( doesn't have to exactly be retina but better thn current models), possibly new ports(maybe thunderbolt) and it's gonna have the new IOS 5. Possibly some other new surprises also. Just as analysts speculated on ipad2 and was dead on correct, these same analysts now saying enough evidence to believe ipad3 launch b4 holidays is a real possibility. Nothing in life is guaranteed, so Never say Never. Apple can change up anytime they please. This is a business of making $$$$. Not business of being mr. Nice guy sticking to schedules and caring how people would feel if they released another model in less than a year..lol I know an ipad3 release would make ipad2 owners very mad but oh well. I hope they do release so I can upgrade my ipad1 to ipad3 ;-)

Interesting speculation on the new stuff. The extra RAM is always a possibility (just have to watch the power demand as long battery life is key here along with cost). I doubt Thunderbolt will ever be considered, as the chip from Intel only works with PCI express (intel processor design)... the Arm processors are entirely different (again look at the power demand ... also Thunderbolt is for high speed data transfer ... not hardly thinkable for ipad typical usage). I doubt that iPad will move away from the 30 pin connector anytime soon ... if you think about a hand held device, more ports mean more cable ... who wants more cables dangling. But it is highly conceivable that a simple software change will allow data transfer other than .jpg via an SD card (interface via camera kit adapter). What is the difference between data entry via wi-fi (or 3G) vs hard wire via SD. Only a software change in iOS. I think we can all expect an upgrade in the video cameras (front and rear) ... for stills (who cares) ... just remember the function is video conferencing not still photography. IMO. Again, more RAM could help in a lot of ways along with wider data busses. These are entirely feasible as long as it has reasonable power demands and doesn't drive cost much. What SJ does so very well is to keep the focus on the key essentials ... power demand (long battery life) ... cost (critical for mass consumer consumption) ... the rest of the issues all lie in the software decisions embodied in iOS for general availability of functions by all apps. IMHO. I think the display resolution is good enough ... others may disagree... so beit.

I personally think that the remainder of 2011 will focus on software upgrades. The hardware is positioned to last quite a while ... why ... many with iPad are satisfied with performance as is ... but the gamers and creative artists always want more.IMO:)

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I'm a first time ipad buyer and waited for ipad 2 before jumping in. And when the rumors of ipad 3 came out, I also was tempted to wait longer ......

thats an attitude a lot of people live by. which i dont understand.
i mean, why wait out for the ipad3 when, by the time thats out, the ipad4 rumours will be flying around. so why not wait for that? or the 5 or 6? whats so special about the 3 that the 2,4 or 5 or 6 wont equally suffice?

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every year since the iphone came out, rumors swell that the next generation is coming out sooner then the last, and what happens? Apple stays right on track with their yearly schedule. OS5 could be shown at the developers conference, but in my opinion, we wont see Pad3 till next year. That is Apples strong suit, they dont burn their customers by releasing updates upon updates in the same year...(cough cough andro...)I am one who has jumped ship from the other side because of the crazy updates of the other side. I couldn't stand being obsolete in 3 days.....;)

Last edited:

jellybean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a first time ipad buyer and waited for ipad 2 before jumping in. And when the rumors of ipad 3 came out, I also was tempted to wait longer ......

thats an attitude a lot of people live by. which i dont understand.
i mean, why wait out for the ipad3 when, by the time thats out, the ipad4 rumours will be flying around. so why not wait for that? or the 5 or 6? whats so special about the 3 that the 2,4 or 5 or 6 wont equally suffice?

I was set on buying the ipad 2 until the rumors of ipad 3 supposively was going to come out in the fall 11 came out strong before the ipad 2 launch. Luckly common sense prevailed. Rumor is just a rumor. And waiting for a 2nd gen of anything is usually justified. Wait til they iron out all the hardware bugs out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
From what I've read, it isn't going to happen this summer like everyone seemed to believe. Who knows, maybe C4 will be right.
Once in a great while I get lucky!

One thing for sure . If you say it will come out you may be right. If you say it wont come out you may be right. Either way it's a 50/50 chance you may be right

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Most reactions