What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 with iOS7.04...

Bright Bold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear friends, I suspect that after updating my iPad3 with iOS7, some of my 3rd party charging cables and/or adapters cannot be used...and there is this message appearing :"This Accesory May Not Be Supported". Is this true? Any suggestion to rectify this problem?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Bright Bold - welcome to the forum! :)

Well, I don't completely understand that if your 'adapters' worked before the upgrade to iOS 7 that they do not work on the same iDevice after installing the newer iOS? Why not tell us which adapters you own (brands) and do you have the original iPad charger, and if so does it still work w/ you iPad? Dave

OP
B

Bright Bold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Bright Bold - welcome to the forum! :) Well, I don't completely understand that if your 'adapters' worked before the upgrade to iOS 7 that they do not work on the same iDevice after installing the newer iOS? Why not tell us which adapters you own (brands) and do you have the original iPad charger, and if so does it still work w/ you iPad? Dave

The adapters worked before my upgrade.....one of the cable is of Capdase brand....an adapter is of Pisen brand.....I do have the original charger and it works ok ... No issue here.....just the non-Apple bundled cables and adapters...thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This happened to me with my camera adapter:

image-667304618.jpg

It worked before the update, afterwards I couldn't use it any more. Afaik, Apple started blocking unauthorized lightning cables with iOS 7.

Welcome to iPF, btw! Glad you joined us!

Last edited:

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me with my camera adapter:

View attachment 52020

It worked before the update, afterwards I couldn't use it any more. Afaik, Apple started blocking unauthorized lightning cables with iOS 7.

Welcome to iPF, btw! Glad you joined us!

Yep
Happened with me as well on my iPhone 5. The older ipad3 connectors work fine though.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dear friends, I suspect that after updating my iPad3 with iOS7, some of my 3rd party charging cables and/or adapters cannot be used...and there is this message appearing :"This Accesory May Not Be Supported". Is this true? Any suggestion to rectify this problem?

I get this same message with a lot of my third party accessories. Look at the charging icon on the iPad. If it is charging, ignore the message. If not, unplug and replug. That usually solves the problem. All of my third-party devices that worked before iOS 7.0.4 work afterwards. Notice that the message says "may not be". It is just apple's way to get you to spend more $ with them on their stuff.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The adapters worked before my upgrade.....one of the cable is of Capdase brand....an adapter is of Pisen brand.....I do have the original charger and it works ok ... No issue here.....just the non-Apple bundled cables and adapters...thanks

Well this issue piqued my interest - apparently there are 'authentication chips' in Apple charging cables and the decision was made in iOS 7 to block non-certified 3rd party cables from working w/ the iDevices - one story HERE, but just google 'ipad ios7 authentication charging cables' for many more hits. The link refers to Lightning cables, but I'm assuming the same applies for those using the older 30-pin dock, since that is the one in the iPad 3. Dave :)

P.S. in the link, a potential 'work around' is outlined (in the quotes below):

There seems to be a workaround solution:
  1. Turn on USB power
  2. Plug in lightning cable to iPhone
  3. Dismiss any warnings
  4. Unlock your iPhone.
  5. Dismiss any remaining warnings.
  6. Now with the screen turned on.
  7. Unplug the knock off lightning cable.
  8. Plug it back in.
  9. Dismiss warning again
  10. It should now charge

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well this issue piqued my interest - apparently there are 'authentication chips' in Apple charging cables and the decision was made in iOS 7 to block non-certified 3rd party cables from working w/ the iDevices - one story HERE, but just google 'ipad ios7 authentication charging cables' for many more hits. The link refers to Lightning cables, but I'm assuming the same applies for those using the older 30-pin dock, since that is the one in the iPad 3. Dave :)

The part about blocking cannot be true as mine all work. Some are from amazon and some are complete no-names. Of course, I see I have in effect been using that workaround, though I have never followed the ten steps listed there which seems a whole lot more complicated than need be.

Last edited:

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The part about blocking cannot be true as mine all work. Some are from amazon and some are complete no-names. Of course, I see I have in effect been using that workaround, though I have never followed the ten steps listed there which seems a whole lot more complicated than need be.

Both my cables don't work even with that workaround.
Maybe there are different qualities of generic cables.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both my cables don't work even with that workaround.
Maybe there are different qualities of generic cables.

Probably true. Where did you get yours? I bought all of mine on Amazon, but only two are Amazon Basic. The others are some no-name that I can't even remember. Probably best to stick with Amazon or go Apple.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the cheapie worked well before ios7

Read up thread. Apple must have some reason to disable those. Might be for the good of your devices.

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read up thread. Apple must have some reason to disable those. Might be for the good of your devices.

I think it's more because apple want some license fees these accessories made by third parties.

The point is that ALL other electronic companies have moved away from proprietary connectors and have opted for a universal standard with microUSB.

However apple still wants to keep their connector and it's only to make money.

http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-could-soon-be-forced-to-switch-to-microusb-chargers-in-europe

Most reactions