What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 will be thicker

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to accomodate the second row of led backlighting, the iPad 3 which is expected to be released in March according to reports, will be .7 mm thicker than the iPad 2. The iPad 2 is 8.8 mm, so the iPad 3 will be 9.5 mm. Still better than the original at 13.4mm.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I'll bite since I'm sure its in others mind. What is the purpose of more LEDs?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple plans to modify its LED backlight solutions for the display of the next generation iPad, in order to accomodate a much-improved screen resolution, according to Digitimes.

Apple is expected to adopt LCD panels with a resolution higher than 2048x1536 pixels, which means that the existing single LED light bar integrated in iPad 2 has to be improved, otherwise the panels' brightness cannot be maintained or strengthened.

Sources from Apple's Taiwanese based backlight unit makers, reveal that vendors have offered two alternatives for Apple's display to be integrated in the upcoming iPad.

One suggestion panel makers have made is "to keep the light bar in a single-bar form factor but with two LED chips inside", according to Digitimes; the alternative would be the use of dual-LED light bars.

The source inside the Taiwanese supply chain suggested that Apple will probably accept the design with dual light bars. Especially since manufacturers declared they have resolved the issue with heat dissipation and battery consumption for this solution.

Previously it was suggested that manufacturers are facing real challenges with the mass production of the Retina Display for the iPad 3, expected to be released in Spring next year.

This is from one of the rumours/suggestions. Until it is released, I will take most of these with a pinch of salt. I'm sure this is what Seadog is on about though.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing is real until it is mass produced. That is the fun of trying to anticipate future models. More pixels in the display means less room for light getting through, which means more backlight needed to push the image. Thus, adding more LEDs, which means more power consumption and more heat. Apple has to try different designs to see how it works in real life. Many of these designs get leaked out, and somebody pushes it as the real thing. However, there are some reports that are more reliable than others. When I notice something that has a good background and is logical, I like to post it for everyones thoughts and impressions.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A little thicker isn't a big deal but one of Apples big plusses is the iPads slim proportions. They won't mess with that too much!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly I like it to be more like the ipad1. I much prefer the design of the flat surfaces on the sides so the buttons are not at an angle.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:
Honestly I like it to be more like the ipad1. I much prefer the design of the flat surfaces on the sides so the buttons are not at an angle.

That's a great point. It makes it tougher to reach the buttons when you have the iPad in a case. Ya gotta wedge your finger back there and press aimlessly.... :D

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could there be a dual reason for making it slightly thicker. Given the number of reports of glass breakage in the iPad 2 compared to the original iPad it could be that the significantly thicker original has greater stiffness which may in turn protect the glass from sudden shocks........just my 2 cents.

The Archangel

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Could there be a dual reason for making it slightly thicker. Given the number of reports of glass breakage in the iPad 2 compared to the original iPad it could be that the significantly thicker original has greater stiffness which may in turn protect the glass from sudden shocks........just my 2 cents.

The Archangel

I can actually vouch for this, I dropped my iPad 1 about 4 months ago, HUGE dent at the top right corner. No screen damage. Though after a week I realized a section of the touchscreen wasn't responsive. Apple replaced it for another one, and just last week I've dropped it 3 times (not at a significant height tho) and still no screen damage. I haven't tried it with an ipad2 (nor would I want to...) but I would guess the screen would be more likely to crack since there is less to absorb the shock.

Most reactions

Latest posts