What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 screen cracked with smart cover on! help?!

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So as it stands today in the US, you cannot buy AppleCare after 30days of purchase?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm looking at Apple's link to it's current AppleCare products. U.S. Store of course. It looks (to me) as if there are now two plans.

AppleCare Protection Plan
AppleCare +

The plans appear to be linked to the type of devices; AppleCare + for iPhones and iPads, AppleCare Protection Plan for everything else.

I don't see the old AppleCare plan, so it looks like you can't get it for the iPad anymore. You buy the new plan upfront within 30 days, or go looking for a third party insurance plan. They do exist.

That seems to mean there there is no way to simply extend your warrantee and get tech support after 30 days. Perhaps there were not enough people doing it for Apple to bother with it anymore. There is also the trouble they are getting into in Italy over AppleCare's extended warrantee and the local consumer laws, so maybe the dropped it for that reason too.

If someone is near an Apple Store and can get a more official answer, that would be great.

Last edited:

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad (3) 30 day support clock seems to start on the day you "register" the product, not the day the product is purchased. I confirmed this when I setup a Genius Bar appointment and got the inspection required to purchase AppleCare + (includes accidental damage with deductible). Regarding getting the older AppleCare, I tried to do this on an iPhone4 which was under 1 year old, but obviously over the 30 days. I got 3 different results when trying to by AppleCare. 1) its past 30 days, sorry no AppleCare Plus. 2) we don't sell AppleCare anymore, and 3) I was told that since the iPhone4 was purchased before the new AppleCare Plus program started, I should still be able to get AppleCare (not Plus), but calling Apple Customer Service.

AppleCare Plus is the version that covers accidential damage, vs just warranty work. So this is why there needs to be an inspection (of a product taken out of an AppleStore). That's why you can buy AppleCare Plus on-line when you buy a new iPhone or iPad. So, if you have an older, but under 1 year old product, you might be able to get regular AppleCare warranty extended coverage.

I have also used a mail order repair (in Cupertino) for an iPhone 4 with water damage. They specialize in water damage and cracked screens. Cost was $99 plus shipping and they recovered a "dead" water soaked phone by a take apart and cleaning process, they also replace the battery and all the interior seals. But they do not replace the 2 water sensors - which are still red now. They also repair cracked iPad screens (for about double the iPhone 4 screen price).

Most reactions