What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 screen cracked with smart cover on! help?!

Jackie_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey everyone,
I am going to be a freshman at my new highschool. at my school, they have decided to use iPads instead of textbooks. I
received my iPad about three weeks ago. I purchased a smart cover and everything was good. About a half hour ago my
iPad was on my bed charging and I went to unplug it and it slipped and fell on the vent on my floor..... it has a crack
about the size of my pinky finger nail but it looks like shattered glass and the cracks spread. what do I do? the smart
cover was on my iPad! will apple replace it?!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No harm in asking them. Make an appointment at your local Genius bar. Tell them what happened, and see what they say. They may be able to do something.

OP
J

Jackie_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you so much! do you think they will be able to help? and how much would a screen replacement cost?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hit and miss. Some people have had replacements. Others have been told they will have to pay for repairs/replacement. Prices have varied. There's no real way of knowing until you sit down with the guys at the Apple Store.

OP
J

Jackie_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay thank you so much! you are a life saver!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not me! You have no idea how often this subject has been raised. I'm just telling you what has happened over the last year or so. Good luck with Apple.

Btw. Let us know how you get on, if you wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the new AppleCare Plus warranty, they will cover two accidental damage incidents over the life of the warranty. AppleCare + cost $99 for two years of coverage and needs to be purchased at the time the iPad is purchased, or within 30 days with a Genius bar inspection. There is a surcharge of $49 per accidental incident.

If the school purchased the iPads, see if they bought the AppleCare +. If they did, then you pay $49 and its is covered. If not, I'd still contact the school and see if they have an Apple rep. If you purchased the iPad, then you should make a Genius appointment and ask them what to do.

Apple does not repair iPads themselves, but will replace the entire iPad for a flat fee; see the Repair Pricing section here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/faq/

Otherwise, there are independent iPad repair services that may be able to replace the screen for less. Do a web search for "ipad repair". Note, though, that if you elect to have the iPad serviced by an unauthorized shop, all further warranty will be void.

Good luck, let us know what happens. For others, it might be a good idea to buy AppleCare +. I just got AppleCare + after a Genius Bar appointment a couple weeks ago.

liquidxt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you do in the instance of buying the iPad used? Can you still get the care plus if it is still under warranty?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
liquidxt said:
What do you do in the instance of buying the iPad used? Can you still get the care plus if it is still under warranty?

AppleCare has to be purchased at the time the iPad is purchased or within 30 days,pending inspection.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
AppleCare has to be purchased at the time the iPad is purchased or within 30 days,pending inspection.

Sorry to nitpick, but it could be important.

AppleCare can be purchased at any time before the 1 year standard warrantee runs out. AppleCare + (plus) must be purchases as SciFan has specified. Only the AppleCare + plan covers accidental damage to the iPad.

jmbarker58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to my local Apple store, the version of Apple Care that preceded AppleCare+ is no longer available.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
According to my local Apple store, the version of Apple Care that preceded AppleCare+ is no longer available.

Huh!?

I checked and you are right. I only see AppleCare, but it now includes accidental damage coverage that was the key feature of AppleCare+. I wonder when they did that? Probably when the started the new iPad, and I just didn't spot it.

My apologies, everyone.

Edit: They are still calling it AppleCare + under the when you try to purchase the iPad online. I'm not sure why the discrepancy, but it would be wise to read the coverage for whatever plan you are getting and make sure it has the accident coverage.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Huh!?

I checked and you are right. I only see AppleCare, but it now includes accidental damage coverage that was the key feature of AppleCare+. I wonder when they did that? Probably when the started the new iPad, and I just didn't spot it.

My apologies, everyone.

When I purchased my iPad 3 I was given the choice of AppleCare or AppleCare +. They've since changed it as this screenshot from the Apple store shows.

image-1823605190.jpg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I purchased my iPad 3 I was given the choice of AppleCare or AppleCare +.

No idea then. I got mine at Verizon, and there was some deep consulting before they figured out how to add AppleCare +. I asked for it, so I don't know what the other options might have been.

Most reactions