What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 retina display is greenish -- it's best feature is messed up

peejay1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also noticed the blues don't look as blue, especially noticeable on the Facebook icon and App store etc

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're not happy with your screen, take it for an exchange.

Screens vary from device to device, even among the identical model. My husband's iPad 1 is yellowish, while mine is true white, for example. We didn't consider it a prob. But you're the one who has to use your device, so you should be happy with the screen.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just purchased color profiles from Cydia and and installed it on my iPhone 4S and yes it is possible to fix almost all of these problems if Apple had just decided to put in some simple adjustment tools. And to get around anybody screwing it up, all they would need to do is have a reset to factory mode.

Anyway it's a crude app but I was able to adjust color temperature on my for 4S and get rid of a little bit of a bluish tinge to it. This was just eyeballing it of course.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This pic is my iPad "3" on the left and my old iPad 2 on the right, have to say I'm less than impressed with the "whites".

Camera's do not quite see the same as our eye's - and they can be adjusted so they can 'see' any shade as pure white - but on my monitor which is slightly warm the picture of the iPad3 display is much closer to white.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just purchased color profiles from Cydia and and installed it on my iPhone 4S and yes it is possible to fix almost all of these problems if Apple had just decided to put in some simple adjustment tools. And to get around anybody screwing it up, all they would need to do is have a reset to factory mode.

Anyway it's a crude app but I was able to adjust color temperature on my for 4S and get rid of a little bit of a bluish tinge to it. This was just eyeballing it of course.

Great news - thanks, I will be looking forward to the iPad 3 jailbreak - no point in even saying to wait for a fix from apple for this.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well an update. I've only had my 4S for a month and now that I've been looking at it, it has the yellow problem and color profiles is not able to resolve it. I looked at my old 4 which my wife now has and it doesn't have it. Went around to several dealers and looked at display models and none of them had it.

The issue isn't just yellow but the light output is at about 75% of the others. I really noticed yesterday when the sun came out for the first time since I had it and my screen went dark. While my old 4 was at least readable.

So Best Buy is going to replace it. I decided to go from the 32GB to the 64GB but they have to hunt one down. Long story why I need the extra storage but mostly so I can mirror my 64GB and not have to worry about space on the 4S.

Dang there goes my Jailbreak!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
well first off with the original posted link showing the iPad 3 and iPad 1 comparison. When taking a picture white balance should be set with a white balance card so that you get the tint of both screens in the picture. The author set the white balance to the iPad 1 screen, this would toss off the tint of the other screen as its not the same colors as you would be seeing if looking at the device.

With that being said, yes some screens may have some type of defective tint, its normal especially with the number of devices apple is cranking out. Also since they are cranking them out so fast and sending them right to customers or stores the same goes for the iPad 3 as with the iPad 1 & 2 about the glue used on the screen taking weeks to fully cure and causing a yellowish tint until fully cured.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure that there may be an issue with curing or the light source. In my case I think it's the light source throwing out less lumens and possibly skewing the color spectrum.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not just how many but what is the true reason. Is it a calibration issue or a light source issue? inquisitive minds want to know. If it is a calibration issue then some user controls would allow people to tweak it slightly. If it is a hardware issue then it is a must replace issue.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain this is a light source issue - all colours are affected but the white is the most obvious. You get different qualities of LED light and I'm sure it is this variance that causes the differences in the screens; I have seen it in many devices including iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you I think it is an LED issue. Having full control over calibration might be able to offset some differences in LEDs. But in some cases it so far off I don't think you can compensate for it. Brightness will also affect white balance and in the case of my iPhone 4S which I'm sending back it just doesn't put up the lumens that other iPhone 4S's do. In my case it was a noticeable difference out in sunlight where I couldn't see my screen versus others that I could, all of which were set to 100%.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm actually going to compare both my iPads against my iPhone tonight. I think my iPhone 4 is actually very neutral balanced and while I have it in my head that the iPad 2 looks the more neutral of the two iPads, a recent side by side comparison running the same movie made the iPad 3 look more neutral with a wider colour gamut. I think content and brightness level are contributing factors because the iPad 3 does go a lot dimmer but it also appears a little muddy at low light levels.

Most reactions

Latest posts