What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[iPad 3] Restore 5.1.1 / Update to 6.1.2

MrChiliCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys

All morning I tried to restore and update my iPad, but I'm failing. To maybe in general it is not possible anymore?

I have a jailbroken iPad 3 running 5.1.1 and my wish is to update to 6.1.2.
What do I need to do?

My first try was to restore the iPad using iTunes and the IPSW file. In the beginning i got the error 3194. So i edited the host-file. Then my device jumped into restoring, but I'm stopped always with errors 1600 and so on.
What am I missing here?

Thanks for help :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your biggest problem is that you cannot load iOS 6.1.2 on an iPad 3. The only version that can be installed now is iOS 6.1.3 - and it's not jail breakable (and probably won't be).

So, you have to decide whether to keep the iPad at iOS 5.1.1 and jail broken or move up to iOS 6.1.3 and run it stock. There are no other options. Sorry.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There isn't an exploit for the iPad 3 that allows you to selectively restore/downgrade as Marilyn has already. It was patched in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S and newer devices unfortunately. Looking for new exploits~~

toto2007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your biggest problem is that you cannot load iOS 6.1.2 on an iPad 3. The only version that can be installed now is iOS 6.1.3 - and it's not jail breakable (and probably won't be).

So, you have to decide whether to keep the iPad at iOS 5.1.1 and jail broken or move up to iOS 6.1.3 and run it stock. There are no other options. Sorry.

Marilyn

Hi, i've got this same kind of situation, iPad 3 on ios 5.1.1.
However, i've got the shsh for 6.1 can i upgrade to this version? How?
Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Marilyn

Hi, i've got this same kind of situation, iPad 3 on ios 5.1.1.
However, i've got the shsh for 6.1 can i upgrade to this version? How?
Thanks.

Sorry, toto, the only iOS version you can restore to is iOS 6.1.3, as Marilyn states in the post you quoted.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply.
You mean that in this case, the saved signatures won't help? Could you please explain a bit?
Thanks.

Blobs won't allow you to selectively restore to any iOS that matches the blobs on all A5+ devices since they're not susceptible to the LimeRa1n exploit that affects the pre-A5 devices like the iPad 1, iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 and iPod Touch 4th Generation and below. You can't downgrade either on the iPad 3 and 4.

But don't confuse it with the iPad 2, which follows a slightly different path. No, you can't selectively restore to an iOS of your choice on the iPad OUTSIDE of iOS 4 or 5 assuming you meet specific requirements.

If you'd like to read up about why it's possible on the iPad 2 to restore/downgrade to iOS 5 as you please, you can read up on it in this sticky here

But with respect to the initial question of downgrading or selectively restoring to iOS 6.1.2, you can't do it even with blobs since there aren't any soft or hard exploits to be taken advantage of that allows you to install custom IPSWs.

Most reactions