What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 - Problems with downloading PDF Atachments

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I receive many PDF attachments through email and the majority of them can be downloaded and opened without a problem. However one company sends PDF email attachments which I can open on my PC. However with the iPad viewing the same email and attachment, while I can see the "paperclip" icon the attachment has not downloaded and so cannot be opened. I use Adobe Reader app & also have Goodreader app but they are no use as the attachment does not download.

Could the company be using a PDF format/version which is compatible with Adobe Reader on the PC but not with Adobe Reader on the iPad.

This is very frustrating and hopefully someone can assist or give me some guidance.

Many thanks in advance.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why don't you inspect the PDF on your PC...than transfer it to your iPad via dropbox..and see if you can open it that way. BTW, my mail apps defaults to iBooks for PDFs. Maybe you can change (somehow) what handles PDFs from your mail app.

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that and it transferred via Dropbox but when I opened it it just had 2 or 3 lines saying that I should update Adobe Acrobat - the attachment contents were not there! The thing is it is only PDFs from one company that will not download - all other PDF attachments download and open OK.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SR7133 said:
I tried that and it transferred via Dropbox but when I opened it it just had 2 or 3 lines saying that I should update Adobe Acrobat - the attachment contents were not there! The thing is it is only PDFs from one company that will not download - all other PDF attachments download and open OK.

Hi SR7133,
From what I understand so far, that the email program in our iPad will only handle a static amount of megabytes. If bigger it won't load completely
Here's an example from an email I received, from a large very reputable internet based company, while I am currently doing a warranty replacement, reply to me:

Please reply to this email with a copy of the receipt.
**Please ensure your receipt is in attachment form and less than 1.5 MB**

I hope this helps

Chas

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Attachment size is not an issue (last one was 267KB). No attachments will download when sent from this company

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SR7133 said:
Attachment size is not an issue (last one was 267KB). No attachments will download when sent from this company

Must be a format issue then, could call them and ask to resend it in a different format. Or reduced in size.

I'm not sure what the actual size limit is, for our iPad's email, but I know it's not very large.
Perhaps someone who knows the actual limitations could chime in...

I hope that you can get it resolved in good order.

good luck

Chas

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chas

I think that you are correct. The attachments will not download in iPad, iPhone nor Blackberry (format not recognised). This problem is actually from a UK Government Agency & when I queried it with them the response was "wecannot comment on which documents are or are not compatible with differentmedia platforms" - really helpful!

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SR7133 said:
Chas

I think that you are correct. The attachments will not download in iPad, iPhone nor Blackberry (format not recognised). This problem is actually from a UK Government Agency & when I queried it with them the response was "we cannot comment on which documents are or are not compatible with different media platforms" - really helpful!

Hi SR7133,
Don't you love those 'authority figures'?? "It doesn't matter who you vote for, the Government, always gets in"
They make me ill...

I don't know how you can realize the content of that attachment, other than them sharing it in a different manner.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Perhaps Siri will know how. Smile

Ah, but only good luck though, I hope that you can get it straitened out sooner than later.

Chas

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the computer open the PDF and try to duplicate or save-as, making a new copy of the file. Check to see if the size has changed. If it has, then the computer re-formated it and there is a good chance that the new version will work on the iPad.

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Twerppoet

Thanks for that.

There is a difference in size when I copy the PDF File:

Size:266 KB (273,254 bytes)
Size on Disk: 268 KB (274,432 bytes)

However when I emailed it nothing changed - still will not open. Came in as a Winmail.dat file

My problem is that I receive these PDFs when I am on the move and need to respond to them. I don't always have access to my PC to open them immediately or copy & resend.

thanks for your suggestion.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SR7133 said:
Hi Twerppoet

Thanks for that.

There is a difference in size when I copy the PDF File:

Size:266 KB (273,254 bytes)
Size on Disk: 268 KB (274,432 bytes)

However when I emailed it nothing changed - still will not open. Came in as a Winmail.dat file

My problem is that I receive these PDFs when I am on the move and need to respond to them. I don't always have access to my PC to open them immediately or copy & resend.

thanks for your suggestion.

What do you mean when you say it came in as a winmail.dat file? Is that the name of the PDF file you are receiving? Are the people sending you these using MS outlook?

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The file on the PC is PDF but on the iPad it came in as a winmail.dat file and it just said that I should upgrade adobe reader - it is up to date.

I don't know where they are sending it from but I am checking to see what format they are using.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The file really should show up as a PDF in Mail. If it's not, that's a problem in of itself. The iPad won't handle the file as a PDF unless it actually has the .pdf extension.

If you have Dropbox try transferring the file that way instead. If you don't have Dropbox, now is good time to get it and try it out.

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it does show as a .pdf file and I have tried using Dropbox but still it will not open. It has to be the pdf format they are using which is not compatible with mobile equipment - iPad, iPhone or Blackberry phone

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Redhotpoker said:
Hi SR7133,
Don't you love those 'authority figures'?? "It doesn't matter who you vote for, the Government, always gets in"
They make me ill
Chas

That, Chas, made my evening. There are a few rare gems in this forum.
Regards, Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts