What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot save e-mail attachment

Reaction score
I have an attachment to an e-mail which is a PDF document. This PDF contains an image (no text) and when I tap on it it opens directly in my e-mail client and does not give me the opportunity to open it in Adobe Reader. I don't have problems opening PDF documents which contain text in Adobe Reader.

If anyone can explain why this happens or what I am doing wrong then I shall be very grateful. Thank you!

David

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an attachment to an e-mail which is a PDF document. This PDF contains an image (no text) and when I tap on it it opens directly in my e-mail client and does not give me the opportunity to open it in Adobe Reader. I don't have problems opening PDF documents which contain text in Adobe Reader.

If anyone can explain why this happens or what I am doing wrong then I shall be very grateful. Thank you!

David

When you go to open the PDF, don't just tap on it. Tapping only activates the Mail app's "quick view." What you want to do is tap and hold the PDF file. Then, you should get a mini pop-up with choices, one of which is "Open In..." Press that line and then you should be offered a list of apps that can read that file. Press the one you wish to use and then that app should open with your PDF.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, when an attachment is opened in Mail, you should be able to tap in the center of the display and get sharing or Open In options at the top right. This menu/option tends to disappear (for better viewing) shortly after the document is opened. It doesn't stay long after you tap on the display either.

Yianibb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my ipad when I tap and hold, there are the optios : open, reading list and save. Also when I open it, in share options are : Open in Safari, and copy link only. My aim is to have it somewhere so, i can use it as an attachment in another email of me

David

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my ipad when I tap and hold, there are the optios : open, reading list and save. Also when I open it, in share options are : Open in Safari, and copy link only. My aim is to have it somewhere so, i can use it as an attachment in another email of me

Well, the way the iPad is built, with it's "sandboxing" restrictions, prevents you from just saving the file as you would do on a laptop or desktop computer. The iPad is not file-centric (where you find a program to use a file) - its app-centric, where you have to have the app first. Completely opposite than what we're used to. I like the idea (once I got used to it) because it keeps my iPad more secure (IMO).

But, that doesn't help you. So, all I can suggest is one of two things:

(1) Keep the e-mail with its attachment and forward it to another when you need to (after "cleaning" up the old e-mail to make it look as if its new). Or,

(2) Use the "Open In" option to open the attachment in another app. The act of opening the attachment makes the opening app create a copy of the attachment in its files so you can save the attachment in that app. Then, when needed, most apps have an e-mail (or "share") function where you can e-mail that attachment to another.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Yianibb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but...

Well, the way the iPad is built, with it's "sandboxing" restrictions, prevents you from just saving the file as you would do on a laptop or desktop computer. The iPad is not file-centric (where you find a program to use a file) - its app-centric, where you have to have the app first. Completely opposite than what we're used to. I like the idea (once I got used to it) because it keeps my iPad more secure (IMO).

But, that doesn't help you. So, all I can suggest is one of two things:

(1) Keep the e-mail with its attachment and forward it to another when you need to (after "cleaning" up the old e-mail to make it look as if its new). Or,

(2) Use the "Open In" option to open the attachment in another app. The act of opening the attachment makes the opening app create a copy of the attachment in its files so you can save the attachment in that app. Then, when needed, most apps have an e-mail (or "share") function where you can e-mail that attachment to another.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

The problem is ( I did wrote again ), It doesn't give the option "Open in" , but a) Open in Safari and b) copy link.

This is with a PDF file and I do have two PDF readers .

Yiannis, Athens ,Greece

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you running iOS 6? Things are slightly different between iOS 5 and 6, though, in general, things are in the same place.

When the PDF file is open in Mail (viewed full screen), do not tap and hold. Just tap in the center of the screen. The share icon (a square with an arrow coming out of it) should be at the top right. Tap this and you'll get several icons. Some are system options like Copy and Print. Others should be your PDF Reader apps and any other PDF compatible apps you have. In iOS 5, you should get a list of options instead of the icons. One of those options should be Open In.

Alternately, if you tap and hold on the PDF in the email's body, you should get the same list of icons and/or options.

If your PDF apps are not showing up, please let us know what apps they are. It's up to the developer's to enable their apps for Open In with whatever files they are compatible with. All the popular apps (that I know of) work fine: Adobe Reader, GoodReader, iBooks, PDF Expert, and many more.

Also, in iOS 6, the list of icons that show up make take up more than one page. You can swipe through multiple pages of icons just like you do on the main screen.

Because it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll include a list of common fixes below. If the problem persists and you have not tried them yet, please do. It's a good idea to restart your iPad every so often anyway.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

Most reactions

Latest posts