What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 3 not charging

U3045901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my brand new IPAD 3 2 weeks ago. I've tried to charge it using the wall socket and left it overnight. It actually lost charge (33% down to 28%). BTW it did not display the Not Charging message.

I tested the power point and it works for other appliances. I plugged the IPAD into my laptop via the USB port and got the message Not Charging.

Last week I did manage to charge it, albeit not fully and it did take a while.

Do you think there is a problem with the battery?:thumbsdown:

Disappointed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should be able to fully charge it using the wall charge that came with your iPad. It might take a while because it has a large battery. I usually put mine on the charge when I go to bed and it will be fully charged in the morning. If yours doesn't charge when using the apple charger that it came with, I suggest a visit to the apple store as soon as possible.

cjburr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem, took it into the Apple store and was told the charge port wasn't working on the iPad and was given a new one. Had trouble getting the new one to charge yesterday and after playing around with it it seems the iPad won't charge unless you turn the screen off...........very strange, hope you get your problem worked out

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forget trying to use the USB port, that does not put out the wattage needed to charge an iPad. Use only the 10 watt charger they gave you with the iPad. If that does not do the job, get a new one for free.

oaussieo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your iPad have iOS6? I ask as I have been having similar issues since upgrading.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cjburr said:
I had the same problem, took it into the Apple store and was told the charge port wasn't working on the iPad and was given a new one. Had trouble getting the new one to charge yesterday and after playing around with it it seems the iPad won't charge unless you turn the screen off...........very strange, hope you get your problem worked out

I have the same experience. The iPad does charge when the screen is on, however, the retina display sucks so much power that the battery drains faster than the charger can replenish it. Therefore, I have to turn the screen off to make headway.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did find one time when I expected my iPad to be charging it did not. I unplugged the charger at the wall and the iPad and replugged both. I noticed that the battery symbol had not changed to a charging symbol previously. Now I leave the screen on to be sure that the symbol changes to charging. Then I close the cover to turn off the screen.

I do sometimes use the iPad while it is charging, and it continues to charge, but more slowly.

Most reactions

Latest posts