What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 - Maps & GPS

AURORA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I don't have an iPad yet but am trying to decide if it will meet my mapping needs. I have been told that the iPad can be used to access marine GPS charts - but I can't understand how this would work as the specs for the iPad say that GPS is not enabled. Then again, for the land maps, there is 'talk' of positioning and GPS. Please can someone explain to me how maps work and where I can get information about marine charts on the iPad? Thanks

OP
A

AURORA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to understand the relationship between the 3G and GPS in the iPad - What I think I would like to know is: why wouldn't an iPad, without 3G, connected to an external mobile 3G modem receive GPS, as does iPad with 3G built in?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AURORA said:
I am trying to understand the relationship between the 3G and GPS in the iPad - What I think I would like to know is: why wouldn't an iPad, without 3G, connected to an external mobile 3G modem receive GPS, as does iPad with 3G built in?

The GPS and 3G share the same chip, no chip, no GPS.

The Archangel

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The GPS and 3G share the same chip, no chip, no GPS.

The Archangel

Yep, just like your cellphone has a GPS. The reason almost all smartphones have GPS units now is because the GPS is now built into all of the major cellphone chips. So if you don't have the cellular chip for 3G/4G data you also don't have any GPS chip. Apple does do some other things to give you a location via looking up Wifi hotspot locations on wifi only iPads but that is not accurate at all and only works when connected to a wifi hotspot with a known location.

The extra $120 for a 3G/4G model is well worth the cost just for the GPS alone. Plus not only do you have GPS but if you ever go out of town and want to have internet while on the trip you have that option. You cannot upgrade later on if you change your mind.

I use my iPad every day while driving to and from work for the live traffic info and interaction of other local drivers who report hazards, police, and other things.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
I use my iPad every day while driving to and from work for the live traffic info and interaction of other local drivers who report hazards, police, and other things.

I can't agree that GPS alone is worth $100 when you can have a full gps unit with built in maps these days for that price.

Also I hope you are not on my roads while driving and 'interacting' with your iPad and not with your car and the road. I don't think it's worth getting into an accident and killing someone over it.

When driving keep your eyes on the road and get a cheap gps unit that speaks turn by turn directions to you.

G

Grytpype

I hope you are not on my roads
He won't be on your roads (not that they are actually yours, by the way). Having had the benefit of traffic info from his iPad, he’ll be on a nice clear road while you are stuck in heavy traffic with your cheap GPS unit.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grytpype said:
He won't be on your roads (not that they are actually yours, by the way). Having had the benefit of traffic info from his iPad, he’ll be on a nice clear road while you are stuck in heavy traffic with your cheap GPS unit.

My cheap GPS does FM traffic, so we may still be on the same road, but don't worry I'll be watching for drivers that don't have their eye on the road and be extra cautious around you.

OP
A

AURORA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, just like your cellphone has a GPS. The reason almost all smartphones have GPS units now is because the GPS is now built into all of the major cellphone chips. So if you don't have the cellular chip for 3G/4G data you also don't have any GPS chip. Apple does do some other things to give you a location via looking up Wifi hotspot locations on wifi only iPads but that is not accurate at all and only works when connected to a wifi hotspot with a known location.

The extra $120 for a 3G/4G model is well worth the cost just for the GPS alone. Plus not only do you have GPS but if you ever go out of town and want to have internet while on the trip you have that option. You cannot upgrade later on if you change your mind.

Thanks for the info. I am happy to purchase an iPad with 3G - up front cost is not the issue, it is the long term cost of connecting to internet through plans directly for the iPad. So this leads me to other questions.
My mobile wi-fi modem uses a 4G sim to connect to the internet. Would this wi-fi modem then have a GPS chip too?
Also, could I connect through the wi-fi modem to the GPS, even if the iPad I purchase has an internal 3G modem?

Most reactions