What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Maps not working: is it GPS 3/4G "conflict"?

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Until recently, I had no 3G/4G contract and exclusively used wifi for connecting to the internet and all that time Apple Maps worked just fine (save for its well documented birth pangs) even when away from any wifi access point which, I presume, was via the GPS functionality of my 64GB 3rd generation iPad.

Recently (and coincidentally almost simultaneously to the release of iOS7, which fact I believe to be a red herring unless you know differently) I acquired a mini-SIM for 3G access via Samba Mobile. This is for "emergencies" only for the very few occasions when I need access and there is no wifi available.

Now, though, when I have Cellular Data set to off (so that I don't connect via 3G and eat up my data plan unless specifically "authorised") Apple Maps doesn't work unless I am on wifi.

From which, in my usual default position of congenital ignorance, I infer that turing off Cellular Data in Settings stops Apple Maps (and probably other as yet unnoticed apps) accessing the internet.

So - and please speak in simple terms here, for I am not a technodweeb - is there any way I can retain the previous GPS functionality for Apple Maps without removing the SIM card each and every time?

Is there another setting which I have overlooked or have I burnt my boat as far as GPS is concerned by installing a 3G SIM card?

Thanks in advance.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[snip]...

Now, though, when I have Cellular Data set to off (so that I don't connect via 3G and eat up my data plan unless specifically "authorised") Apple Maps doesn't work unless I am on wifi.

...[/snip]...

I'm pretty sure that turning off Cellular Data is what is stopping your Apple maps app from working unless you are on WiFi. The app works on data, and stopping access to data will stop it from"reaching out" and connecting.

Yes, it worked before, but you hadn't turned of Cellular Data before, which specifically stops the app from doing how it's designed. Before, without a SIM card, it stored the map info on your iPad. You didn't get map updates (unless you went back on WiFi), it was basically working from memory. But, you had Cellular Data on...

No, you are explicitly telling the app to not use data. So, it can't.

I am sure it's a programming issue affect by that cellular data switch. A matter of how the app recognizes its connection. At the user level, I'm pretty sure there's only two things you can do, (1) turn on cellular data when using the Maps app with the SIM card, or (2) take out the SIM card (with cellular data on) to not use data.

Marilyn

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, it looks as if I'll have to live with it!

Getting the SIM card in once, never mind in and out at whim, was an absolute nightmare - maybe the "slot" mechanism should have been designed by someone with arthritis in their fingers so that they could realize how fiddly and difficult it is!

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that turning off Cellular Data is what is stopping your Apple maps app from working unless you are on WiFi. The app works on data, and stopping access to data will stop it from"reaching out" and connecting.

Yes, it worked before, but you hadn't turned of Cellular Data before, which specifically stops the app from doing how it's designed. Before, without a SIM card, it stored the map info on your iPad. You didn't get map updates (unless you went back on WiFi), it was basically working from memory. But, you had Cellular Data on...

No, you are explicitly telling the app to not use data. So, it can't.

I am sure it's a programming issue affect by that cellular data switch. A matter of how the app recognizes its connection. At the user level, I'm pretty sure there's only two things you can do, (1) turn on cellular data when using the Maps app with the SIM card, or (2) take out the SIM card (with cellular data on) to not use data.

Marilyn

My iOS7.0.2 update went wrong (USB cable slipped out - D 'oh!) and I had to do a full restore from my iTunes backup. However, that restore also seems to have been flakey, or it reintroduced "a glitch" and following advice on another thread I did a Reset.

Now just where the change occurred in those processes I am not sure! but Apple Maps now works with the SIM card installed, wifi and Cellular set to off - presumably via the built in 3G/4G on my model.

Camera/Photos also places pictures correctly on the map, although I do need the iPad to be connected to wifi after the pictures are taken to get that part done.

I am assuming, therefore, that the failure of Apple Maps to work when I asked my original question was a glitch and not a "feature"!

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iOS7.0.2 update went wrong (USB cable slipped out - D 'oh!) and I had to do a full restore from my iTunes backup. However, that restore also seems to have been flakey, or it reintroduced "a glitch" and following advice on another thread I did a Reset.

Now just where the change occurred in those processes I am not sure! but Apple Maps now works with the SIM card installed, wifi and Cellular set to off - presumably via the built in 3G/4G on my model.

Camera/Photos also places pictures correctly on the map, although I do need the iPad to be connected to wifi after the pictures are taken to get that part done.

I am assuming, therefore, that the failure of Apple Maps to work when I asked my original question was a glitch and not a "feature"!

Ha! Guess that'll show me to use logic and common sense when talking about a computer! :D

Regardless, I'm glad it's working for you, whether it was a glitch then or a glitch now. :) Thanks for coming back with the update. Always nice to hear back on successes...

Computers. Harrumph! :)

Marilyn

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, another bite of the cherry, I'm afraid.

I have just returned from an area miles from anywhere (The Duddon Valley in UK Lake District) where there is no wi-fi, no 3G, no mobile phone signal and, rather more seriously, only one pub which was some several miles cross-country hike away from where I was sleeping! :eek:

I could not get any maps to display and I have:

NavFree UK & ROI (paid version)
Apple Maps
Maps+
Google Maps
OutSide
Google Earth

All of these, according to App Store updates, are the latest versions and I am running on a 3rd Generation iPad under iOS.7.1. I have a Samba Mobile 3G SIM installed but usually use wi-fi.

Not one of those maps would display!

I was unable to remove the 3G SIM, as inferred from Mickey330 posting above, as I did not have the relevant tool with me and the SIM holder appears to be pretty well wedged into the iPad and I didn't have anything else which could reasonably have been used to replace the proper tool.

So, why can I not get any map to display when there is no wi-fi, no 3G or any other mobile signal available?

Surely there must be a map app which downloads the map data for use when off-line, even if that is a user selectable option? I would have the thought that the need to know precisely where you are would be much greater when "away from civilisation" than it is when seated in a local coffee shop! The GPS system which is in my iPad will be able to tell where I am but it isn't much use if it cannot use that information to plot me onto a map of some sort.

It would seem odd that the insertion of a SIM card, even though "Cellular Data" is switched off, would cause the GPS functions to be cancelled.

Is this a bug, have I overlooked a user setting in any or all of those apps, do I really have to eject the SIM if I am in the middle of the mountains somewhere just to read a map or am I just being incerdibly stupid and overlooking the bleeding obvious which is staring me in the face?

Is there a UK and ROI map which will work when off-line?

Thanks in advance!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The maps wouldn't display as you didn't have an internet signal, either cellular or wifi.

Not all apps allow you to download maps but there are some available.....I use Maps With Me from where you can download maps for just about any part of the world......UK maps are listed under Europe.

I myself go on long drives where there is no cellular connection and these maps work fine for me on my cellular iPad without a charged sim.

And such a pain that the only pub was so far away, but at least you were able to find it! ;)

I hope this helps you!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The maps wouldn't display as you didn't have an internet signal, either cellular of wifi.

Not all apps allow you to download maps but there are some available.....I use Maps Free from where you can download maps for just about any part of the world......UK maps are listed under Europe.

I myself go on long drives where there is no cellular connection and these maps work fine for me on my cellular iPad without a charged sim.

And such a pain that the only pub was so far away, but at least you were able to find it! ;)

I hope this helps you!

Sorry to hijack this thread leelai, but I am interested in that "Maps Free" app you are using. Couldn't see it as such in the App Store listing. Would you have a link handy?
Thanks, Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread leelai, but I am interested in that "Maps Free" app you are using. Couldn't see it as such in the App Store listing. Would you have a link handy? Thanks, Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Oh gosh Andrew.....so glad you did pop up here, I've put the wrong name.

It's Maps with Me! What can I say, I had a brain freeze! ;) Or perhaps I got auto corrected! That sounds better! ;)

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/maps-with-me-lite-offline-map/id431183278?mt=8

I'll go edit that now! Thank you!! See teamwork at work again!! :D

I hope you like the app!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh gosh Andrew.....so glad you did pop up here, I've put the wrong name.

It's Maps with Me! What can I say, I had a brain freeze! ;) Or perhaps I got auto corrected! That sounds better! ;)

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/maps-with-me-lite-offline-map/id431183278?mt=8

I'll go edit that now! Thank you!! See teamwork at work again!! :D

I hope you like the app!

Thanks leelai, very much appreciated. Teamwork indeed! I look forward to trying out that app.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you do a lot of travelling and are going to places with no wifi then you can buy personal bluetooth gps systems. I have GNS 5870 MFI unit which cost me about £70 and it works brilliantly. No sim needed, no contract either. Just the initial outlay and no more getting lost :)

Most reactions