What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 iMessage and factime problems

Rude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello people

I have just recieved my new ipad (32gb 4g) and im having difficulty signing into iMessage and facetime. When i input my apple id and password it comes up with an error "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

My ipad is currently connected to my home network and everything else works on the ipad apart from these 2 programs which both come up with the same error" I have tried resetting the ipad and started all over and that didn't solve the issue either.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Alex

Becky49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have the same problem, this is my 3rd iPad. When I try to connect to iMessage, it asks me to log into my iTunes account, and when I do, I get the message: cannot sign in, please check your network connection and try again. I don't have a problem connecting to my browser, email or directly to the iTunes store. I have spent hours trying to connect, resetting network settings etc. Then calling for help to Apple Care to no avail. I am frustrated as we are travelling and rely heavily on the iMessage to communicate with family.

Lichodite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here.... My sister and I got Ipads third generation 32gb-wi-fi... But imessage and facetime doesn't work....

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First check that FaceTime is not disabled in general/restrictions. If that isn't the problem try changing dns servers on your iPad.

1. Go to the Settings App.
2. Tap on Wi-Fi
3. Your chosen network will be ticked. Tap on its white arrow over a blue circle button to its right
4. Tap on DNS
5. Replace the current information with 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
6. Try visiting a website with Safari to see if this works
7. Try registering iMessage / FaceTime

If still not working...

Settings -> General -> Date & Time -> Set Automatically: ON

Yes date time setting has been known to cause issue.

Last edited:

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What works is to go to contacts and make yourself a contact if you're not in there and add your number and email on both. That way it'll detect it faster

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FaceTime and iMessage are interconnected at OS level so if FaceTime is disabled iMessage won't work.

Lichodite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First check that FaceTime is not disabled in general/restrictions. If that isn't the problem try changing dns servers on your iPad.

1. Go to the Settings App.
2. Tap on Wi-Fi
3. Your chosen network will be ticked. Tap on its white arrow over a blue circle button to its right
4. Tap on DNS
5. Replace the current information with 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
6. Try visiting a website with Safari to see if this works
7. Try registering iMessage / FaceTime

If still not working...

Settings -> General -> Date & Time -> Set Automatically: ON

Yes date time setting has been known to cause issue.

This worked just fine.... Thank you so much...

arlenesf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(I have ipad 3 wi-fi 16GB) Setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 worked for me too. Thank you very much!

But is it OK to keep it like that? Will it cause problems over other networks in other places? I spent several hours the last two days on the phone with Apple support, and while both people were wonderful, neither one gave me this solution. Their solution... send my ipad 3 back and they will replace it. They think it is a firmware problem. I have the box they sent for me to use, but I think another call is in order. I'd rather keep this one.

fznajar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This works. I do not understand though why changing the DNS information from the current setting helped.
Thanks for the tip

zarasda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,same problem as original post,tried all of above,plus many more tips,same response....could not sign in.please check your network connection and try again....... everyyhing else wifi , works fine even going in itunes....stumped.oh.its fourteen days old,and only started doing this 3days ago. thanks in advance for any help.

kkcheat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the first option worked like a charm thx! i found this while on phone with apple lol

Rosieisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi so ive been having the some problems with my iMessage and FaceTime. I changed the date and time and my FaceTime was sorted except the iMessage still can't verify my email. Any help? I'm signed into mail on the ipad but I'm just not receiving anything

Most reactions

Latest posts