What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 3 GPS question

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought a new IPAD3 (32 gig, WI + cellular). Before buying it, I called Apple to verify that the cellular model included a real (satellite based) GPS. I was assured that it did.

I have read the downloaded User Guide cover to cover and the word GPS doesn't appear once.

Among other things, I want to use this IPAD for marine navigation with the eSeaCharts app.

Where do I get info on the integral GPS (If it has one)

Thanks,

Larry Cruzen

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confirm that the 4g version does I use mine as my replacement sat nav and it's very accurate
The wifi version doesn't

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have one of the 4G/LTE models of the 2012 iPad, it indeed does have a GPS chip. It is included with the cellular chip. It is not included in the wifi only version of iPad. You don't need to activate a cellular plan to use it. Just open the map app when you are out and about (and not on Wifi) and see if it locates you on the map. It should.

You can also get the free GPS by TeleNav (depending on your country, that is) and test it that way.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try it next time I take it out. I thought maybe there would be some instructions somewhere for using the GPS with other navigation apps.

There is an iPad manual around someplace...on this forum I believe. I'm not sure if it gives instructions, but it cannot hurt to check.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any app which relies on GPS automatically knows how to use the hardware on the device since it has been coded that way. One of the advantages of the Apple approach to apps. You will simply be asked to give permission to the app to use location services the first time it is started. After that is it plain sailing (pun intended).

Just make sure you have Settings > Locations Services = ON, on your iPad. That enables the GPS.
On that same screen you will see all the specific apps you have given permission to use the feature to (they won't appear in there until the first time you have run them). Unless you have a good reason, they should all normally be set to ON.

Unlike other platforms you may have used, there is no in-built GPS app which will allow you, for example, to see your location coordinates. You need to install suitable apps from the App Store.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may obtain an electronic copy of the iPad User's Guide at apple.com. No Apple product, that I am aware of, ships with a printed manual. They are all available for free online. You may keep a copy, as I do, in iBooks on your new iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
You may obtain an electronic copy of the iPad User's Guide at apple.com. No Apple product, that I am aware of, ships with a printed manual. They are all available for free online. You may keep a copy, as I do, in iBooks on your new iPad.

The iPad user guide is also accessible by going to your bookmarks and selecting iPad user guide.

image-1936379874.jpg

image-4183306033.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts