What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2

jerryew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All! Got and Ipad for Christmas. I've been running windows for 30 years (I'M 77), and it has been a real experience playing with the pad. I have a couple of questions I wonder if someone can help with.

1. Is iCloud something the apps use to store documents etc and you really cannot get to it? Or, do I not really understand the concept.

2. Reading a lot about Jailbreak. It allows you to run apps other than Apple? Is it really worth the effort? I've read all I need, downloaded the proper files, just a question of why do it. Can you do irreversible damage?

If anyone would comment on these items I would really appreciate it.... I hope to become a regular here, cuz I do like the Ipad, its format and apps.
It is a real learning curve though, considering all the time on windows..... My thanks in advance,

Jerry

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jerryew said:
Hi All! Got and Ipad for Christmas. I've been running windows for 30 years (I'M 77), and it has been a real experience playing with the pad. I have a couple of questions I wonder if someone can help with.

1. Is iCloud something the apps use to store documents etc and you really cannot get to it? Or, do I not really understand the concept.

2. Reading a lot about Jailbreak. It allows you to run apps other than Apple? Is it really worth the effort? I've read all I need, downloaded the proper files, just a question of why do it. Can you do irreversible damage?

If anyone would comment on these items I would really appreciate it.... I hope to become a regular here, cuz I do like the Ipad, its format and apps.
It is a real learning curve though, considering all the time on windows..... My thanks in advance,

Jerry

Hi Jerry and welcome to the Forum!

Yes iCloud is a storage backup for your apps and you access this data through your apps.
Jailbreaking does have its own app store which is called Cydia, and you buy apps through here. Apple has control with what we can do on a stock iPad, Jailbreaking gives the user the control and allows you to do much more. No it doesn't do irreversible damage and we have a lot of info here about it all as well as very knowledgeable staff and members here who can help and guide you. Apple does frown on it but you can take the jailbreak away without leaving evidence that it was ever in this state, which is what you would do if ever you needed to take it to Apple for some reason.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

jerryew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments and your welcome leelai. I plan on hanging around here to pick the brains of the "experts". I'm 77 years old, just don't have
the stamina for manuals etc. I really am enjoying my learning curve with this Apple stuff though. I've been on Windows so long, its interesting to see
another approach! Apple does a good job. I still like the pc, just have two loves now!!
Thanks again
Jerry

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just found a link to the iCloud support page. It's probably not the best way to introduce what iCloud does, but it's the most complete lists of services I've seen, even if you do have to read in-between the lines a bit.

Apple - Support - iCloud

Most reactions

Latest posts