What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 will not back up

Sargon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just acquired a new iPad pro and am trying to transfer all my apps, etc to it from my iPad 2. The problem is that my iPad 2 will not back up. I am running Windows 10 and am trying to backup the iPad 2 so I can "restore" to the new iPad pro. I have tried the iCloud backup but nothing happens. when I select backup to this computer nothing happens when I select Back Up Now under Manually Back Up and Restore.

I selected Encrypt local backup and entered a password. Got a pop up window saying it is backing up my iPad but latest backup message reads: your iPad has never been backed up to this computer.

How can I get a backup to work to use for a transfer or is there a different way I can transfer all my apps, etc to the new iPad? Any help will be appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just acquired a new iPad pro and am trying to transfer all my apps, etc to it from my iPad 2. The problem is that my iPad 2 will not back up. I am running Windows 10 and am trying to backup the iPad 2 so I can "restore" to the new iPad pro. I have tried the iCloud backup but nothing happens. when I select backup to this computer nothing happens when I select Back Up Now under Manually Back Up and Restore.

I selected Encrypt local backup and entered a password. Got a pop up window saying it is backing up my iPad but latest backup message reads: your iPad has never been backed up to this computer.

How can I get a backup to work to use for a transfer or is there a different way I can transfer all my apps, etc to the new iPad? Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Sargon - first, I'm not sure why you are having issues w/ backing up the iPad 2, either cabled or OTA (Over the Air) - have you done the backup before or is this your first attempt? Also, there are programs that can be used for iDevice backups; one of two that are on my Mac laptops is iMazing, which has a PC version - check the link as a possible alternative means of accomplishing the backup.

Second, your iPad 2 is locked at iOS 9.x (if you have upgraded to that version?) and you likely have a number and possibly a lot of 32-bit apps on the old device; your new iPad Pro is presumably running the newest iOS, i.e. 11.x - only 64-bit apps are compatible w/ that version; SO, if you have 32-bit apps that do not have newer 64-bit updates, then these cannot be transferred to your new iPad. You need to determine which apps you have that will not transfer and if data is stored in the app whether there is a means of saving that data - some more information on iOS 11 HERE. Dave :)

OP
Sargon

Sargon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Giradman. Checked all the apps and they all seem to be 64-bit so no problem there.

Read on an older thread that if the iPad fails to backup it means there is a corrupted backup. Do you know where the backups are stored - perhaps I can just delete it and try again.

If all else fails may just have to buy iMazing but I am trying to avoid that for now.

S

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Giradman. Checked all the apps and they all seem to be 64-bit so no problem there.

Read on an older thread that if the iPad fails to backup it means there is a corrupted backup. Do you know where the backups are stored - perhaps I can just delete it and try again.

If all else fails may just have to buy iMazing but I am trying to avoid that for now.

Hi Sargon - surprises me that all of your iPad 2 apps are 64-bit but great news! When I upgraded my iPad Air 2 to iOS 11.x, I had to delete/replace a half dozen 32-bit apps - cannot help w/ the backup location on a PC (since I'm on a Mac laptop for my backups) - you'll have to search in the PC iTunes Help menu or do some googling, sorry.

Finally, iMazing is an excellent program and useful to you w/ your new iPad and the investment is not that much - hope that the app helps if you decide on that route - good luck. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

S
You can find your backups in iTunes preferences on your computer. itunes preferences can be found in iTunes on a PC by clicking on the Edit menu button at the top of the iTunes page, preferences is at the bottom of the list. When the preferences page is open, click on Devices in the menu at the top of the page. If you then right click on the backup, you have the option to delete it.

Most reactions