What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 wifi jailbroken stuck in recovery, and wont restore,

Kipperg1578

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have jailbroken my ipad its on ios 5.1 and i tried updating it and it put my ipad in recovery and now its stuck, and wont restore, i have tried using tinyumbrella to fix recovery by putting it in dfu mode, but it wont fix it. When i try to restore i get error 3194, any suggestions? I know this has something to do with hosts file

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A quick search of the forum for "3194" would have revealed this - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-how-resolve-itunes-unknown-error-3194-a.html

If you follow the instructions, it will resolve the problem. Just to be clear, you cannot UPDATE a jailbroken iPad. You should only be using the iTunes "restore" option, and the only version of IOS which you should be trying to restore in this way is the current version, 6.1.

If you really get into problems, follow this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kipperg1578

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how to find hosts file?

hello i jailbroke my ipad 2 and its stuck in recovery after trying to update, recovery wont fix on tinyumbrella and i cant restore, i have bo saved shsh, how can i get to my hosts file to fix it?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hello i jailbroke my ipad 2 and its stuck in recovery after trying to update, recovery wont fix on tinyumbrella and i cant restore, i have bo saved shsh, how can i get to my hosts file to fix it?

I have moved your post to this thread you created earlier and what you are asking ties into this previous post.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The guide I pointed you to should help - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-how-resolve-itunes-unknown-error-3194-a.html

The location of the hosts file is mentioned at the end! PLEASE READ IT.

hosts is typically a hidden system file, so you must normally unhide it on your OS, and use full administrator privileges to edit it, if you are going to do it manually.

If you are still stuck, follow the SECOND tutorial I linked to.

OP
K

Kipperg1578

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive tried this, thanks for the help, i have located my hosts file and it only had 1 apple reference and thats it, i removed it and its completely blank, i still get the error, i even tried moving the hosts file to another computer, Any suggestions?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What versions iOS are you trying to restore? It can ONLY be the latest...

OP
K

Kipperg1578

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem fixed, Thanks for all the help guy! I can't thank you enough!

Most reactions