What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 / Speed Test

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all....just did one of those speed tests here...U Tube always stopped and started.

Have the Verizon DSL... Both 5GHZ and the 2.4 were.....

Ping 75MS
Download 0.70MBPS
Upload 0.13MBPS

Is this really to slow for decent video?

Our TV is wireless and does the same thing on videos....Netflix and so on

Thanks!! Ken

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer to your question is YES that is really slow.

L

Lunar

As the previous poster stated, the speeds you are getting is very slow, and very likely too low for viewing video without severe buffering.

Mine is not super fast but my download speed over wifi is approx 15mb with upload being 0.94mb. That's with TalkTalk in the UK, my wired connection to my PC is 18.5mb d/load.

If I was you, I would have a look to see what other ISP's can offer in your area, I used to get very slow speeds when I was on Sky, at busy times I was unable to stream anything from the net. I now get much better speeds at half the price I was previously paying, so it really does pay to research what alternatives there are... You may be pleasantly surprised....good luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kenworth - just to confirm the opinion given already - I ran the 'speed test' on my iPad (we have cabled Road Runner as our ISP).

Ping, 99ms; Download, 4.32 Mbps; and Upload, 0.78 Mbps - these are my usual speeds, and I've had no major issues w/ using Pandora internet radio or streaming movies from Netflix or Amazon (using my Roku device). I'm also using an older Linksys router, 802.11 b/g and still have streamed HD films w/o a problem.

Just a couple of questions: 1) Have you been streaming movies and having problems?; 2) If so, HD or standard resolution for the films?; and 3) Have you power recycled your modem & router?

s_tevep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to jump on this thread but Lunar mentioned something that I have been trying to find an answer to. Hem entwined he was getting 15mb down but 18.5mb when wired. Is this normal? I get about 10 wired and only 6.5 on my iPad. Strangely enough I also seem to get better speeds wirelessly on a windows pc than on any Mac product (mb pro, iPad and iPhone). Is there something in apple's settings that slows things up?

Cheers, Steve.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Steve - well, this is a complicated question, especially w/ the Wi-Fi standards so numerous and changing to achieve higher transmission rates - wired 'fast' ethernet is rated at 100 Mbps (of course, not usually achieved); the Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n protocols have widely varying speeds - I have a b/g router so my maximum 'wireless' speed would be 54 Mbps; now the n standards offer potential speeds of a wired connection.

But out of interest, I just ran a speed test on my 'Wired PC' (w/ fast ethernet card), VISTA laptop, & iPad (re-tested) - the results are shown below (top row is the ping test, second the download speed, and lower the upload values). First, my wired computer was best at the ping & download tests; second, the VISTA laptop was better than the iPad in those same categories (note that both were tested in my den chair using the same Wi-Fi router in the adjacent room). Now, I'm not sure why my iPad 2 had only half of the DL speed? :)

Wired PCVista LaptopiPad Re-Test
29 ms39 ms79 ms
31.0 Mbps19.3 Mbps8.8 Mbps
0.98 Mbps0.98 Mbps0.93 Mbps

L

Lunar

Sorry to jump on this thread but Lunar mentioned something that I have been trying to find an answer to. Hem entwined he was getting 15mb down but 18.5mb when wired. Is this normal? I get about 10 wired and only 6.5 on my iPad. Strangely enough I also seem to get better speeds wirelessly on a windows pc than on any Mac product (mb pro, iPad and iPhone). Is there something in apple's settings that slows things up?

Cheers, Steve.

Further on this...I've noted that sometimes my wifi speedtest Will be a bit higher up in the 16.5mb range occasionally touching 17mb download 15.5 is probably the slowest I get. Strangely my wife's Acer laptop seems to perform equally well whether its connected by wifi or cable, though it's generally used close to the router, as being a couple of rooms away from the router can also affect speeds somewhat.
Also the type/brand of router can definitely affect speeds, I'm using a fairly new N router, where my older router was about 3mb slower.

One has to bear in mind that the speed itself can vary slightly so should be taken as a guide, also having other wifi devices in the home will affect speeds, ie phones ect. But generally ime a wired connection will generally give better speeds, which is why my PC and PS3 are both wired, though obviously again that can vary depending on the network card in the PC ect.

I would have thought you need close to 2mb to get stutter free video streaming and much more for HD.

Last edited by a moderator:

s_tevep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Lunar. I've tried my MacBook pro wired and things speeded up a bit so that must be it.

santhan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, It is slow. For the speed assistance, you can place a gadget to check your internet speed anytime which is available at Scanmyspeed.com free of cost.

Last edited:
OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Isp ??

Further on this...I've noted that sometimes my wifi speedtest Will be a bit higher up in the 16.5mb range occasionally touching 17mb download 15.5 is probably the slowest I get. Strangely my wife's Acer laptop seems to perform equally well whether its connected by wifi or cable, though it's generally used close to the router, as being a couple of rooms away from the router can also affect speeds somewhat.
Also the type/brand of router can definitely affect speeds, I'm using a fairly new N router, where my older router was about 3mb slower.

One has to bear in mind that the speed itself can vary slightly so should be taken as a guide, also having other wifi devices in the home will affect speeds, ie phones ect. But generally ime a wired connection will generally give better speeds, which is why my PC and PS3 are both wired, though obviously again that can vary depending on the network card in the PC ect.

I would have thought you need close to 2mb to get stutter free video streaming and much more for HD.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input Lunar, along with everyone else.......I have to ask what on earth your ISP is since you mention. 15.5mb of download, when I'm getting 0.70 !!! Ken

L

Lunar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input Lunar, along with everyone else.......I have to ask what on earth your ISP is since you mention. 15.5mb of download, when I'm getting 0.70 !!! Ken

That was 15.5mbps pers sec not MB...lol.
Speeds are often more to do with your local exchange, luckily our local exchange was upgraded last October, before then I was lucky to get 5 or 6 Mbps download speeds.

For people in the UK, a worthwhile tip is to check your master BT box and if the bell wire is connected, then dis-connect it, as on most modern exchanges it is no longer needed, when connected it can introduce noise on the line and has the effect of reducing your speed slightly. I gained an increase in speed of nearly 2 Mbps by just disconnecting the bell wire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts