What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Shipping by the end of February 2011?

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is exciting. If there's anything I've learned about electronics, its that you never buy first generation. I'm especially excited about the chance of there being a giant retina display. the iphone 4 looks amazing, so its going to look even better on a larger scale

There is not going to Retina display on he iPad. thats a dead cert. Also, it hasbalready been confirmed that thbdisplay is goingbto be LED.

Only real difference is going to be the camera...

Damn edit button

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys no one knows what Apple will produce so stop going around in circles enjoy Xmas vacation and wait until next year around early April maybe maybe late Feb for the
Announcement . One can expect a stream of changes upgrades or what ever as that is the pattern Apple has followed every year. One can read rumors and speculate how ever that is all they are. At the end of the day one can be assured iPad version2 will be a big improvement on the current models.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm very glad we bought a couple of first generation.
We've had seven months of great fun. Worth every penny/dime.

We'll definitely be buying the second generation model for the camera but I envision the current pads will still be getting a lot of usage as it's the apps that are important.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not wanting to add any fuel to the fire because I don't think the ipad 2 will arrive before April but the current model has started showing up in TK Maxx stores in UK discounted by £100. First time I have ever heard this store selling Apple products and quite a discount for the current model. Not sure why this is but I'll leave it to you to speculate.

TJ Maxx did the same here but it was just an advertising stunt. They bought $40,000 worth of 16gb WiFi iPads, paying retail. They they put a few in every store for $399. They lost $8000 but gained millions of dollars of free publicity as people swarmed to the stores looking for them. They're not an authorized dealer.

Yes, I have since read these stories so it looks much the same here - just a couple of units per store and more on the way, keep coming back to check. Nice tactics.

Free iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'll play the devil's advocate here, and assume a lot of people (maybe most) will give serious thought to upgrading to a faster, lighter, better model that has new and improved features. It's easy enough to upgrade with a PC, so why not with an iPad?

Maybe, but maybe not... Will you be able to transfer all your apps & other items from one iPad to another? Will the iTunes program let you do that, or will you have to start over and buy all the apps again? What about all your Kindle books?

Upgrading with a PC is easy while your computer doesnt have obsolete technology in it. You can upgrade it by buying a part or two. With the iPad (Or any Apple product, for that matter), you have to get a whole new one.

AE1M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can see I am a new member here and was about to purchase an iPad for my wife for xmas, and seriously thinking about one for me at the same time...., now it makes no sense with the newer models coming out in 2-3 months.

This announcement may really hurt Apple's holiday sales and I wonder if Apple will take any action against the supplier who leaked this info (maybe to bump up sales of models with their cameras in them?)

Bob

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can see I am a new member here and was about to purchase an iPad for my wife for xmas, and seriously thinking about one for me at the same time...., now it makes no sense with the newer models coming out in 2-3 months.

This announcement may really hurt Apple's holiday sales and I wonder if Apple will take any action against the supplier who leaked this info (maybe to bump up sales of models with their cameras in them?)

Bob

It's very common for Apple to stick to a yearly cycle for their hardware product releases so most people take it as a given that a new iPad will arrive around April time regardless of who says what. By releasing it in April they will sell a lot at initial release and then another high volume during the holiday period. There will obviously be those people who are happy to wait for the new release but otherwise there will be a high amount of sales for the iPad over the next couple of weeks.
In your case, if you can wait for the new model then it is worth waiting but if you need or want one now then the advice is just to go for it - Apple products hold their value well.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I'll play the devil's advocate here, and assume a lot of people (maybe most) will give serious thought to upgrading to a faster, lighter, better model that has new and improved features. It's easy enough to upgrade with a PC, so why not with an iPad?

Maybe, but maybe not... Will you be able to transfer all your apps & other items from one iPad to another? Will the iTunes program let you do that, or will you have to start over and buy all the apps again? What about all your Kindle books?

Upgrading with a PC is easy while your computer doesnt have obsolete technology in it. You can upgrade it by buying a part or two. With the iPad (Or any Apple product, for that matter), you have to get a whole new one.

Any manufactured phone, tablet ipad has to be replaced. In respect to Apple main computer products one can upgrade hard drives, video cards and memory in some cases add multiple internal drives as well for the masses in this world that is more than most people want to do only a very small number of users these days want to roll their own or change out mother boards etc. Most technology is out dated within 2 years any way and there is a point in time it is not cost effective to upgrade bits and pieces. Technology like the ipad etc are designed to be replaced

With iTunes back up the old and connect the new all can be transferred without problems one may need to remove the old device from the list on iTunes store but that is easy

CjChronos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest; I went through the entire upgrade series with the iPod Touch when It came out. I first bought the 1st Gen, then the 2nd and 3rd. I could afford it with the iPod Touch but with the iPad coming in at a minimum price of $500, this isn't happening. I have the 1st Gen iPad and I'm gonna stick with it until the end. They could put a fan, microwave and a porta-potty in this damn thing; I'm not buying anything but the 1st gen. lmao

Most reactions

Latest posts