What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 - no software update button help!

redreggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 since Dec 11, I have tried to update the software from 4.3.5 to 5.0 but have failed miserably. The screen on my laptop, which I use to sync my iPhone and iPad with displays this message after approx 50 mins of updating/downloading new software.

There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad. The network connection timed out.
Make sure your network settings and your network connection is activated, or try again later.

I have tried to do this at different times of the day, the apple store staff told me to turn off my firewall and then try, but that didn't work either, does anyone have any ideas on how to update or why there is no software button under general in settings?

Thanks, I am new to the forum and have had a look at some of the threads but haven't found this problem.

Redreggie

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you are definitely having troubles. So, if I may suggest an alternative way. Go to this link we have here of official Apple firmware and pick the iOS 5.1 version for your device: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=24939. Download it and see if the download finishes. If it successfully downloads, remember where you put it. Oh, and if you are using Internet Explorere, it will try to download the file as a .zip file. If that happens, change the extension to .ipsw (and whatever you do, don't unzip it!).

Or, don't use Internet Explorer ... :D

Then, after a successful download, connect your iPad to iTunes. It should tell you that your iPad needs upgrading. Accept that message. Then, you should have the main iTunes screen showing with a big old Restore button right there in the middle.

Before you press that restore button, hold down the Shift key and then click on the button. You should get a browser window that'll open and you'll be able to browse to/find the .ipsw file you just downloaded. Click on it and then let iTunes start it's magic - it should go normally from there.

Sometimes, there's a delay in connecting to Apple's computers, which is why it's easier to get the firmware from another place, then let iTunes do the restore ( instead of having it try to do both steps).

That should do it for you to successfully upgrade to iOS 5.1. Give that a try and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts