What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating new Ipad software

deanlufc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Iv plugged my iPad into computer and iTunes to update my software and it took 60mins to fully complete. Then I got this message "There was a problem downloading the software for iPad. The network connection timed out" this has happened twice now can any1 help thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, things to try.

Disable your firewall during the download. (don't forget to reenable it after). There are have been problems in the past with Apple downloads and firewalls.

Same for anti-virus software. Be sure to run a scan when you are done, just in case.

If your computer is set to go to sleep after a certain time, temporarily turn that off.

When you get the option to upgrade from iTunes, choose the download only option. That way you don't have to leave your iPad connected while it does it's thing. The next time (after the download) that you connect the iPad you'll get the chance to upgrade. This also seems to have a lower failure rate than the download and update at the same time option. There is less to go wrong at any one time.

It is also possible to download the update directly using a browser and do the update manually. You'll have to do a search for that. I can not remember the site or exact method off the top of my head. Or maybe someone who does know will wander along.

OP
deanlufc

deanlufc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, things to try.

Disable your firewall during the download. (don't forget to reenable it after). There are have been problems in the past with Apple downloads and firewalls.

Same for anti-virus software. Be sure to run a scan when you are done, just in case.

If your computer is set to go to sleep after a certain time, temporarily turn that off.

When you get the option to upgrade from iTunes, choose the download only option. That way you don't have to leave your iPad connected while it does it's thing. The next time (after the download) that you connect the iPad you'll get the chance to upgrade. This also seems to have a lower failure rate than the download and update at the same time option. There is less to go wrong at any one time.

It is also possible to download the update directly using a browser and do the update manually. You'll have to do a search for that. I can not remember the site or exact method off the top of my head. Or maybe someone who does know will wander along.

Thanks alot pal I'll try that now then, am glad some1 can help

david412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deanlufc said:
Iv plugged my iPad into computer and iTunes to update my software and it took 60mins to fully complete. Then I got this message "There was a problem downloading the software for iPad. The network connection timed out" this has happened twice now can any1 help thanks

The same thing happened to me you have to sit there and babysit it or it will time out

Reaction score
Ok, things to try.

I've had a 100% success rate since going to the download only method ( 4 updates) vs 100% failure (at least 6 attempts) trying to download and install together.
I plug it in, it says an update is available,I check download only, go to bed, its ready the next morning to install . With trying to do both in 1 shot it would get about half an hour into the download then time out. I did the download only the first time from fatigue, after it timed out 3 times, and have stuck with it

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
deanlufc

deanlufc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No problem. Let us know if it does or does not work.

Cheers pal it worked I downloaded the software first then updated it after, still took me an hour to complete tho but worth it. I so want the iOS 5 do you have any idea when it's out?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you. iOS 5 is still scheduled for sometime this Fall. Towards the end is the safer bet.

Having been through this sort of waiting game on several occasions, it's perhaps worth noting that "fall" lasts until December 21, 2011. This should be remembered when the first desperate complaints start showing up on September 21, 2011. :D

Lionelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update download conntion problems

Ok, things to try.

I "kind of" have the same problem updating.

First off I have tried to disconnect the firewall and antivirus software.

Still no go.

I have no problems downloading apps and apps updates. Can connect to iTunes without a problem. Just can't update iOS.

Now, if I connect my iPad 2 to my laptop, I can get the updates. However, I don't want to sync my iPad with the laptop. The Internet connections with the laptop is wireless. PC is hardwired.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lionelman said:

Still no go.

I have no problems downloading apps and apps updates. Can connect to iTunes without a problem. Just can't update iOS.

Now, if I connect my iPad 2 to my laptop, I can get the updates. However, I don't want to sync my iPad with the laptop. The Internet connections with the laptop is wireless. PC is hardwired.

Are you running the most recent version of iTunes on the PC? That is all I can think of at the moment.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know some computers will shut off the network after a period of inactivity. Hit "download only" and move the mouse every couple of minutes especially if you have a screensaver or something.

Lionelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lionelman said:

Still no go.

Are you running the most recent version of iTunes on the PC? That is all I can think of at the moment.

Yes, I am running the latest version of iTunes.

Just don't know why I can do everything else in iTunes but I can't get updates.

Lionelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know some computers will shut off the network after a period of inactivity. Hit "download only" and move the mouse every couple of minutes especially if you have a screensaver or something.

My problem is that I can't even start the update procedure. It says I'm not connected to the Internet, but I know that I am.

I can do everything else in iTunes but get updates.

Most reactions