What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 lock button and up volume bouton not working after digitizer replacement

Adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so what did I break or do wrong here? Would this be related to where the digitizer flex cable connects into those two black housings? Or is there another type of cable that I maybe ripped or broke.

The iPad works fine other than:

The lock button doesn't work. Doesn't turn on or off.
And
The up volume button doesn't work.

Also, my buddy said that his black case would turn it off when closing the lid. (Not a smart case). It doesn't now and I didn't think it would do that but maybe that is related. Everything else works and looks great.

Please help me out guys/gals!? I've already ordered new double sided tape and have been looking at the different parts it could be to replace.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should probably have another look to see if anything appears damaged. Check all cables and connectors are properly connected.

OP
A

Adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did see that where the digitizer flex cable goes into, the top of the plastic housing that kind of holds the cable down was cracked. You flip up the back sides of these so that the ribbon cable can slide in and then you lock them down. They did lock down and stay in but the again, 1 side had the plastic cracked. Would this actually cause the problems I'm having?? Please don't answer if your not absolutely sure. I don't want anyone to just say yes because it makes sense. It seemed like that ribbon seated fine even though the plastic was cracked. Is there something else that I damaged or is this port hole for the digitizer flex cable.

I wouldn't think the digitizer flex cable has anything to do with the volume button and lock button not working. I'm thinking there's another issue I caused that's stopped the lock and volume button from working.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may have to replace the power/mute/volume flex. It's a common problem when opening up the ipad.

OP
A

Adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait! Which flex cable do I need? Lol. There's 2 styles, a normal version and then a after 2012 version. My pad doesn't have that black bar thing across the top like I see some do.... .??

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 2011 A1395 16, 32, and 64 GB

iPad 2 (CDMA model) 2011 A1397 16, 32, and 64 GB

iPad 2 (GSM model) 2011 A1396 16, 32, and 64 GB

The numbers are on the back of the ipad.

OP
A

Adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's actually a 2012 version believe it or not and it has an updated power cable. Weird that apple doesn't show this version but you can sure order parts for it.... Figure that out.... I'm hoping mines the first version which fits both the models you listed above.

Most reactions