What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Sleep function not working with my smart cover anymore

OP
A

ash303

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I've replaced the broken one (the down volume AND smart cover sensor didn't work) with a new one. The sensor works! ....but the down volume doesn't. I wish I was a millionaire so I could throw this into a fire and get a new one. Is it really possible to have FOUR bad cables in a row?

Department Q

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tips and ideas

Ok, I've replaced the broken one (the down volume AND smart cover sensor didn't work) with a new one. The sensor works! ....but the down volume doesn't. I wish I was a millionaire so I could throw this into a fire and get a new one. Is it really possible to have FOUR bad cables in a row?

Sounds frustrating. Try re-seating the flex cable connector. It took me a couple tries to get it positioned correctly and it didn't work right until it was correctly seated. Remember to use plastic and not metal tools to prevent shorts. I think its easier to work from the connection up, towards the power button. Also, when tightening the screws around the volume, I noticed that its possible to over tighten the volume buttons. This keeps them from working right. Try adjusting the tightness of the screw near the down volume button. Good luck. I am praying that it works for you.

OP
A

ash303

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds frustrating. Try re-seating the flex cable connector. It took me a couple tries to get it positioned correctly and it didn't work right until it was correctly seated. Remember to use plastic and not metal tools to prevent shorts. I think its easier to work from the connection up, towards the power button. Also, when tightening the screws around the volume, I noticed that its possible to over tighten the volume buttons. This keeps them from working right. Try adjusting the tightness of the screw near the down volume button. Good luck. I am praying that it works for you.

Hey, thanks for the prayers, I need em :p

I'm gonna try pulling the PCB board out and reapplying the tape that holds the connector down and see if that helps. If not, then I'll try one more cable. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to live with it I suppose.

Department Q

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the prayers, I need em :p

I'm gonna try pulling the PCB board out and reapplying the tape that holds the connector down and see if that helps. If not, then I'll try one more cable. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to live with it I suppose.

I just ordered a digitizer and it was bad. It made the device think it was being touched when it was not. It's a pain ordering junk from far away countries. I don't think its that unusual to get a non working part. Keep trying until you get one that works.

Anyone have advice as to where to purchase quality parts? Experiences good or bad?

OP
A

ash303

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered a digitizer and it was bad. It made the device think it was being touched when it was not. It's a pain ordering junk from far away countries. I don't think its that unusual to get a non working part. Keep trying until you get one that works.

Anyone have advice as to where to purchase quality parts? Experiences good or bad?

I'm dealing with the same thing. This is the 2nd digitizer from china that does it's goofy ghosting routine. If you find an OEM from America let me know.

xStatiCa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I got 2 bad cables according to this thread. I replaced the screen and cable 8 months ago on my wife's ipad 2 after I accidentally cut the ribbon cable fixing the screen. Everything worked except the cover sensor after I fixed it. I just now did another broken screen repair on the same ipad and i went ahead and replaced the ribbon cable again to try and fix the cover sensor. Same problem. The cover does not trigger the screen. Very frustrating. Everything else works great.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try taking the cover, rotate it 180 degrees and line the original ends up (switching the magnetic polarity) and see if it works.

xStatiCa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that and didn't make a difference. I experimented with a neomagnet right around the sensor area too to see if I could trigger it but I could not. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Weldinfool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smart Cover not working.

Hi, I know this is an old thread but for people that end up having this same issue here's how it worked out for me. I too had accidentally tore my power flex cable & had to replace it with the iPad turned on. I got the same clicking noise as though the unit was turning on & off when connecting the silver connector on the end of the new flex cable to the power control (PCB) board. After this my sleep function did not work any longer with the Smart Cover. I replaced the ribbon again as my first action, thinking I may have shorted it out & when it still did not fix the issue I even replaced the PCB board with a new one & replaced the power flex cable 2 more times. I think the cables were poor quality aftermarket cables because this is how I ended up solving the problem.

I bought a more expensive ($10) OEM flex cable on eBay

Before doing the replacement of the cable I turned off the Smart Cover function in settings->general->turn switch to off next to Smart Cover function. (I don't know if turning off this function was necessary but I'm just saying what I did).

Turned off the iPad & replaced the flex cable with the higher quality one.

When reassembled & turned back on....also turning back on the Smart Cover function....it worked perfectly!

So it is possible that I received 4 bad flex cables in a row or that turning off the Smart Cover function was the key to this repair. Either way this worked for me & I hope this helps someone else having this same issue.

xStatiCa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know if that actually makes a difference but I would think it wouldn't. I have a feeling we just got a bunch of old faulty cables that apple rejected and someone grabbed them and decided to sell them. I replaced mine twice a year ago or so which neither worked so I just live without the feature. I don't know if it is worth it to me to take it apart again and deal with the tape or possibly breaking the glass even if I know that they work. I wish apple would make them easier to take apart. I would rather it be 1mm thicker and weigh a little more and be serviceable.

Can you post the ebay auction for the seller that worked for you? I might get one just to have in case I do feel like trying it again. I at least want to know someone got one working from a seller before buying another one.

Weldinfool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know if that actually makes a difference but I would think it wouldn't. I have a feeling we just got a bunch of old faulty cables that apple rejected and someone grabbed them and decided to sell them. I replaced mine twice a year ago or so which neither worked so I just live without the feature. I don't know if it is worth it to me to take it apart again and deal with the tape or possibly breaking the glass even if I know that they work. I wish apple would make them easier to take apart. I would rather it be 1mm thicker and weigh a little more and be serviceable.

Can you post the ebay auction for the seller that worked for you? I might get one just to have in case I do feel like trying it again. I at least want to know someone got one working from a seller before buying another one.

I agree, I could live with a slightly thicker ipad & have it more serviceable and I really do believe we are getting bad cables more than turning off the function made a difference before replacing them but I wanted to post it just in case.

Here is the eBay seller link pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=120745781553&globalID=EBAY-US
You will see immediately that the cable is much better quality & heavier construction....even the adhesive actually sticks! Good luck & let me know if it works out for you!

It wouldn't let me post that as a link because I don't have at least 3 posts on here??? so please just copy & paste what I wrote for a link & add http// to the front. Sorry.

babylonx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this thread online. I do occasional repairs like this and I also teared this flex while removing a smashed ipad 2 digitizer. I have ordered this cables 3 times, twice from eBay and one time from AliExpress. They are ALL defective when it comes to the smart cover function.

It is very common that the C3 capacitor is missing in these cheap cables. But that wouldn't be a big issue. The important thing is that there is also a line missing, the one that travels bellow the U2 chip, between its two legs to the opposite side of this chip. This chip is supposed to be the hall effect sensor which is probably replaced by a cheaper part (diode maybe?) that just makes a controlled short between the two connected lines (there should be 3 lines if the cable was correct) and that is why the cable triggers the function when connected or disconnected. The third time i bought a pair of these the seller had pictures where the third line was actually visible but the line is not there in the cables I received. These last two cables are so fake that they are actually different with each other since the C3 capacitor is there on one and is missing on the other.

So I said all these because I wouldn't call these cables just defective. They are FAKE products that are sold to steal us. No seller is going to say "it has no smart cover function but it is $2 so that is a good deal". They all sell the product as fully operational when it was actually designed not to be.

I might now have to apologize to the owner and return his iPad unfixed because I have it with me for months and he wants it back of course! All this because the Internet is lately so full of bad sellers...

Most reactions