What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 keeps loading up old emails to inbox?

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I got my replacement iPad 2 as my old ones microphone stopped working. But since it's been set up as soon as I open my emails it starts to load old emails from months ago that weren't deleted and marks them as unread?

This is very frustrating as my old one never done this, any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is normal as all your emails are stored on your ISP server. Your new iPad picks up ALL the email stored there as this is it's first time checking mail from the server. When you delete email, you delete from your device but NOT the server. The device remembers what you have deleted and does not fetch another copy.

Your new iPad has a "fresh" memory. You will have to tell it again to ignore those emails (by deleting them). This problem is not created by the iPad but is due to your server suppling your email.

I went through the same LONG process. Have fun!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your mail provider has the option of setting your email up as IMAP, do so. It will prevent this. But once you do, remember that deleting an email on the iPad will delete it on the server too.

Carlloch90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I remember correctly there is a choice to delete emails from the server after 7 or 30 days. Go into your account and go advanced then the 2nd last option is delete from server and in there are a few options. If you select never all emails stay on your ISP server so when you use a laptop it will download them and then delete them from your ISP server. If you chose any other option it will automatically delete them from the option u chose.

Hope this helps.

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old post but got my replacement iPad 2 today and it keeps loading ALL my old emails on to the device. I really don't want to have to delete them all in groups as there's over 2500 now:(

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening, it's so frustrating

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends entirely on your email provider, but chances are the best you can do is visit your email website and delete them there instead. Check and see if your provider offers an IMAP service instead of POP. It works much better.

Or get a GMail account and set it up to check your old account.

suzleigh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had this problem since loading ios 5. It only occurs on Comcast which is my primary account. I already have three other email accounts and I really don't want to get on my pc to move around Comcast emails so they don't all show up on my iPad every day.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had this problem since loading ios 5. It only occurs on Comcast which is my primary account. I already have three other email accounts and I really don't want to get on my pc to move around Comcast emails so they don't all show up on my iPad every day.
You'll need to change the Mail settings on your iPad to delete messages from the server when you delete them from your iPad.
  1. Open your iPad's Settings App
  2. Tap Mail, Contact, Calendars
  3. Tap your email account
  4. Tap Account
  5. Tap Mail
  6. Tap Advanced
  7. Tap Deleted Mailbox
  8. Tap Trash (under "On the Server")
​That should do it! Keep in mind that once the email is deleted from the server it's not recoverable.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, so I tapped on delete from server when deleted from mailbox? Will I still have to go through the whole process of deleting them myself tho?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, so I tapped on delete from server when deleted from mailbox? Will I still have to go through the whole process of deleting them myself tho?
Any emails that have been downloaded to your iPad (that you no longer want) will still have to be deleted by you. After that when you delete them from your iPad they will be history (if you used those settings).

suzleigh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to delete messages from the server. My online mailbox is where I keep messages that I might have interest in later. I use my iPad to check messages... it's not where I maintain them. Will the next iOS update fix this problem that started when the 5 was installed?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suzleigh said:
I don't want to delete messages from the server. My online mailbox is where I keep messages that I might have interest in later. I use my iPad to check messages... it's not where I maintain them. Will the next iOS update fix this problem that started when the 5 was installed?
it all has to do with your mail settings, nothing's wrong with your iPad or iOS 5 (else this would be a problem for millions ;) ). What type of mail account do you have, POP3 or IMAP?

In the meantime try these settings (last item is different)...

Open your iPad's Settings App
[*]Tap Mail, Contact, Calendars
[*]Tap your email account
[*]Tap Account
[*]Tap Mail
[*]Tap Advanced
[*]Tap Deleted Mailbox
[*]Tap Trash (under "On my iPad")

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts