What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearing old emails from iPad -- how???

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the "new" ipad (or iPad #3) I have just finished deleting hundreds of old emails that I very carefully "deleted" or "trashed" months ago:confused:. I have been unable to stop this seemingly forever back up of old deleted emails and I'd really like to find a more efficient method of clearing them out than highlighting them one at a time. Hope someone can let me know what the secret is.

Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you tap "Edit" and check mark emails that you want to delete, you can do so with more than one at a time.

If you want to clear your whole Inbox, then this is what to do:

Tap "Edit" in your Inbox at the top. At the bottom, select "Mark all" and then "Mark as read".

Then tap "Edit" again. Check mark the first message. Tap "Move" at the bottom and hold it. Now uncheck the first message and release the Move button afterwards. Wait for the emails to "pile up" at the right side of the app. You'll see the number of emails at the top. At the left, the options where to move them will appear: the email account with all it's folders. Select "Trash" to delete them from your Inbox.

Hope that helps.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my query. I have printed out your solution and will definitely be using it in the future.

Wish me luck!

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Johanna,

Before I launch this process -- let me clarify something: I have several email accounts on my iPad. Do I have to do the above process with each and every email account I have on the iPad separately?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the folder "All Inboxes", it should be possible to remove them from all accounts at once. The procedure is the same.
image.jpg

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes -- I do use the All Inboxes folder. Thanks for the reply!

Most reactions

Latest posts