What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 it crashes

Flypoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! Suddenly I have a problem. At times when I open an email or an app. It seems like the iPad crashes as it goes back to my opening screen.
This has been happening for a couple of days now.
I first thought that it was my server playing up. But why would this happen when playing a game such as 'Angry birds'?
This has also happened when writing a text message and I loose what I have written and have to do it all again.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Flypoppa--

What is your current OS on your ipad? You can verify this by going to ipad settings/genera/about. The latest version is iOS 5.01.

I am not sure what you have tried to help resolve this problem. However some of the immediate fixes it to force some of the problematic apps down. You can do this by double hitting the home button or doing a 4 finger swipe to bring you to the multi-task bar below. These are all the apps that you have visited. Find the problem app and long press until it shakes. Press the red circle in the corner of the app. This will close the app. Than re-open and test out.

If this doesn't help, try to restart your device by pressing the power switch and slide the lock to power off.

Let us know if this helps.

OP
F

Flypoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The version is 5.0.1 I updated this recently.
I regularly close down the apps like you suggest. ie a double tap on the on button and remove the shaking icons.
I also remove the pages on the top when in safari mode.
This is a puzzle for me and wonder if there is a fault with my iPad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to restart your device than power back on and test out.

If that doesn't help-than do a reset by holding the home and power button at the same time until you see the power slide to power off.

See if that helps.

OP
F

Flypoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mate who also has an iPad ( he is Apple mad) told me to try that as he said maybe there is not enough memory and that is why it is 'crashing,.
I did that last evening and so far it is behaving as it should.
Thanks guys for your help and advice.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My mate who also has an iPad ( he is Apple mad) told me to try that as he said maybe there is not enough memory and that is why it is 'crashing,.
I did that last evening and so far it is behaving as it should.
Thanks guys for your help and advice.

Good to hear that it is working for you. There is some very good information, which Kaykaykay provided below for you to see. This speaks about the issues of Safari shutting down.

RAM crashes have become more frequent since iOS 5. You might try this thread:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/61044-safari-shuts-down.html

The thread is about Safari, but RAM crashes can affect all apps, depending on what you've got open, etc.

I have iPad 1 and 2 and am seeing RAM crashes in both diagnostics logs, though fewer on iPad 2, which has twice as much RAM as iPad 1.

Thanks, Kaykaykay for adding this for the OP! :)

OP
F

Flypoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. So it seems that it is a common problem.
What I shall be doing, is that I shall 'reset'

OP
F

Flypoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Continue from my last post. Dog jumped on me whilst typing and posted post prematurely.
So as I was saying. I shall reset at the end of my daily use or first thing of the day.
That can't do any harm surely?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I would give the reset a try. Since you have already shut down the apps and re-started your device regularly--try the reset. Holding the power switch and home button at the same time.

OP
F

Flypoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Yes, I would give the reset a try. Since you have already shut down the apps and re-started your device regularly--try the reset. Holding the power switch and home button at the same time.

But would it do any harm if I did it daily?

Most reactions

Latest posts