What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 is unable to join network while other media can

razaliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need help; my ipad2 is unable to join network at home wifi while others like laptop and handphone can. I have done so many things to the extend buy a new wifi router but still fail.
Ironically, the ipad can connect to other wifi else where like at office, starbucks and etc.
Does anyone has idea to solve this problem?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need help; my ipad2 is unable to join network at home wifi while others like laptop and handphone can. I have done so many things to the extend buy a new wifi router but still fail.
Ironically, the ipad can connect to other wifi else where like at office, starbucks and etc.
Does anyone has idea to solve this problem?

It does not seem that it is, or has been, a router problem. Try this for a solution, and apologies if you have already tried:
Tap Settings>General>WiFi and then tap the blue arrow next to your Internet providers account. Then tap "Forget this Network".
Then go back to WiFi and re-enter your ISP's Internet login info just like you did when you first set up your Internet account.
If no go come back, there are other options. If OK let us know anyway, as others may learn from your experience.
Regards, Andrew

OP
R

razaliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andrew,
Thanks for the reply..but under Setting>General no "WiFi options. I have on Reset that can be used to erase all configured network. If this the same thing that you're suggesting. I have done this many times but the result the same. I have just recently tried to change the network name as suggested by someone. But still no success.

To make thing worst, my new Apple Tv also cannot connected. again, my laptop and hp are able to do so..really hope somebody can help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could also try resetting your network settings. To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew,
Thanks for the reply..but under Setting>General no "WiFi options. I have on Reset that can be used to erase all configured network. If this the same thing that you're suggesting. I have done this many times but the result the same. I have just recently tried to change the network name as suggested by someone. But still no success.

To make thing worst, my new Apple Tv also cannot connected. again, my laptop and hp are able to do so..really hope somebody can help.

No, I have given you a bum steer in what I said and I apologise. It is not Settings>General but Settings>WiFi, and then tap the ">" symbol next to your Internet account, and then "Forget this Network" and then re-enter your ISPs log-in info as I mentioned before. Do give this a try and come back with the result. I still do not think it is a modem/router problem, but at least try this before you get onto other actions. The suggestion by scifan above is also an action that has worked before.
Regards, Andrew

Last edited:

jch_nj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds like a problem I just fixed today. Have your laptop and phone been able to connect previously, but your new ipod can't? I went through my router settings and discovered MAC filtering was enabled. Disabling it allowed me access. Try doing that. You can turn it back on once the new MAC address is known by the router.

If you don't know what to do, on your browser type 192.168.1.1, enter the admin name and p/w. Go through the options until you find MAC filtering. Disable it and save. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

Ipadusernow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds like a problem I just fixed today. Have your laptop and phone been able to connect previously, but your new ipod can't? I went through my router settings and discovered MAC filtering was enabled. Disabling it allowed me access. Try doing that. You can turn it back on once the new MAC address is known by the router.

If you don't know what to do, on your browser type 192.168.1.1, enter the admin name and p/w. Go through the options until you find MAC filtering. Disable it and save. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

This solved my problem. Been messing around for hours, turned off Mac filtering and bam fixed. Thank you

Maggie May

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my iPad 2 – it will not connect to my Thomson TG782T router/modem. I went to 192.168.1.1, "server was not responding") then went to 192.168.1.254 but couldn't find anything in relation to settings or Mac filtering. My Samsung mobile connected first go but iPad simply says "Unable to join the network". Am I being as thick as a brick? Can you tell me where to find the settings.
Many thanks,Maggie May

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my iPad 2 – it will not connect to my Thomson TG782T router/modem. I went to 192.168.1.1, "server was not responding") then went to 192.168.1.254 but couldn't find anything in relation to settings or Mac filtering. My Samsung mobile connected first go but iPad simply says "Unable to join the network". Am I being as thick as a brick? Can you tell me where to find the settings.
Many thanks,Maggie May

Hi Maggie May and welcome to the forum from a fellow Aussie. First, just try this and see how you go. Disconnect your router/modem for a minute then reconnect again. Restart your iPad. If that has not helped come back, there may be other solutions.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maggie May

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Maggie May and welcome to the forum from a fellow Aussie. First, just try this and see how you go. Disconnect your router/modem for a minute then reconnect again. Restart your iPad. If that has not helped come back, there may be other solutions.
Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for replying. Unfortunately I am still getting the same reply from the iPad "unable to join the network". I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Cheers,Maggie May

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for replying. Unfortunately I am still getting the same reply from the iPad "unable to join the network". I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Cheers,Maggie May

Try this. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, it may work. No data will be lost if you do this.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many thanks,Maggie May

Quick question, did you try 192.168... From the iPad or another device? If you tried from the iPad it will not work until MAC filtering is either disabled or you add the iPad MAC address to the authorized list. The other possibility is the router uses a different internal IP address. Check the paperwork/instructions for your router to verify.

Edit:

Attachments

• image-3583834496.jpg
    image-3583834496.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the WiFi on the iPwhatever is just flaky.

I use Fing on the iPad to check the status and number of devices on my home WiFi. Not counting the router itself there are 12 devices listed with 8 currently active tonight.

I have 3 laptops and a Toshiba Netbook that can be shutdown for days and always reconnect with no issue when started up. I have an XBox that has never had an issue with connecting when turned on. My Grand-Daughters Android tablet connects when she walks in the door. Same with a friend's Nook. Brother wireless printer is rock solid.

2 iPhones and 1 iPad that frequently needs to have wireless turned off on the device and restarted before they will connect. Occasionally they will connect two or three days in a row but those days are very rare. Frequently the wireless connection on the iPxx devices needs reset more than once during the day.

So the count is 9 non-iPxxxxx devices with no issues versus all three iPxxxx devices that are flakey.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Next time one won't connect try this:

Turn off the cellular data for about 10 seconds and see if the iDevice will automatically connect to wifi.

This sometimes happens, an iThingy will lock onto cellular and not release the connection. If it works can you let me know?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

Cheers,Maggie May

Hi again Maggie May. I'm wondering whether you had recently upgraded the operating system. That sometimes gives a differing default connection. Whether you have or not, try this. It has been known to help.
General>WiFi, then tap the arrow next to your Internet Service Provider's name. Then tap on "Forget this Network". Then go back to WiFi and re-enter your ISP's requested info, just like you did when you first set up your ISP account.
Regards, Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts