What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 is official..details here xoom owned by ipad 2

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been supplying Apple solutions since 1983 and since I sold my Apple solutions reseller business (VAR) 3 years ago I have been employed by a major electrical reseller in Australia in Tech zone selling Win 7 computers plus Apple's iOS products

I agree with the above post and what amazes me is that a lot of users believe on Pc or Apple Laptop that they need 4 mb of ram to access face book, get email surf the web, Internet banking etc. Every day I have users saying that is what they need to operate Win 7 laptops is 4gb of ram as it is what they are told by friends , so call IT nerds and others. The real funny part is 80% of the PC's we sell under $800 have only 2 gbs of ram why because cost of memory 3 months ago was expensive and that is when our orders were placed. The manufactures removed the extra ram so they could hit an affordable price point for the entry level user. These computers run fine for the average user.

The other part that is interesting no one and I mean no one ever asks how much ram the iPods or iPads have because no one has said you need da da da more ram for it to work. One other compelling reason is many users are already using iPhones and iPods that have apps installed so why would they even think that the iPad would not have adequate memory to do what they need to do on a day to day basis.
It is all about software and iOS apps are so small it is not funny compared to say Office student or any applications like paint program etc. Most of these applications are so bloated and overloaded with extra features that most users never use. I remember the day when office Mac was on 20 floppies now you need a DVD to load it. Power users for example Architects, graphic designers, Video production companies, prepress companies and publishing companies not to forget digital photographers Oh I almost forgot On line gamers need as much ram and the fastest drives and the fastest computers with dedicated video cards they can get regardless of platform.

I have 100 plus apps on my iPad version 1 and not once have i had issues where my iPad locked up or would not work. I have had apps that were as one would say slow to open or crash but in every case it was an issue with the App not the iPad.and it's 256mb internal memory. I just deleted the App sent an email to the developer and waited for the upgrade. The bottom line is Apple is making products that are memory efficient and can quite happily operate in the 512mb bucket on the new iPad 2.

I personally believe that give it one year max and you will see a big drop in retail sales of the average PC that the so call general public or home users are using. That market will be replace by IPads and similar competing products.

Last edited:

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other part that is interesting no one and I mean no one ever asks how much ram the iPods or iPads have because no one has said you need da da da more ram for it to work.
one reason is b/c of the clientele you're addressing. the average person doesn't even know what ram is for. so know how much they have really doesn't matter.

256 MB is fine for a single task OS - except when browsing with multiple tabs or loading tons of feeds in pulse, i always have to mind the memory usage there. it's frustrating to have a bunch of saved tabs and have the browser crash. for a multitasking OS you need more memory to keep all the apps active. PC/Macs can get around not having enough memory by using swap/vm, but most mobile devices can't (you can set up swap on some rooted android devices).

the average user on win 7 doesn't need more that 2GB. a gamer needs at least 4GB.

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been supplying Apple solutions since 1983 and since I sold my Apple solutions reseller business (VAR) 3 years ago I have been employed by a major electrical reseller in Australia in Tech zone selling Win 7 computers plus Apple's iOS products

I agree with the above post and what amazes me is that a lot of users believe on Pc or Apple Laptop that they need 4 mb of ram to access face book, get email surf the web, Internet banking etc. Every day I have users saying that is what they need to operate Win 7 laptops is 4gb of ram as it is what they are told by friends , so call IT nerds and others. The real funny part is 80% of the PC's we sell under $800 have only 2 gbs of ram why because cost of memory 3 months ago was expensive and that is when our orders were placed. The manufactures removed the extra ram so they could hit an affordable price point for the entry level user. These computers run fine for the average user.

The other part that is interesting no one and I mean no one ever asks how much ram the iPods or iPads have because no one has said you need da da da more ram for it to work. One other compelling reason is many users are already using iPhones and iPods that have apps installed so why would they even think that the iPad would not have adequate memory to do what they need to do on a day to day basis.
It is all about software and iOS apps are so small it is not funny compared to say Office student or any applications like paint program etc. Most of these applications are so bloated and overloaded with extra features that most users never use. I remember the day when office Mac was on 20 floppies now you need a DVD to load it. Power users for example Architects, graphic designers, Video production companies, prepress companies and publishing companies not to forget digital photographers Oh I almost forgot On line gamers need as much ram and the fastest drives and the fastest computers with dedicated video cards they can get regardless of platform.

I have 100 plus apps on my iPad version 1 and not once have i had issues where my iPad locked up or would not work. I have had apps that were as one would say slow to open or crash but in every case it was an issue with the App not the iPad.and it's 256mb internal memory. I just deleted the App sent an email to the developer and waited for the upgrade. The bottom line is Apple is making products that are memory efficient and can quite happily operate in the 512mb bucket on the new iPad 2.

I personally believe that give it one year max and you will see a big drop in retail sales of the average PC that the so call general public or home users are using. That market will be replace by IPads and similar competing products.

Really great and informative post. I have been enlightened and see RAM in a new light. U hit it right on the nail. Ipad 1 only has 256mb of Ram and look at all the wonders it does. Ill give it to apple for making these devices so memory efficient. Its like comparing to cars with smaller engines and turbos. Same overall power output plus more efficient on gas.
P.s. New Infinity Blade update released yesterday, Get it! I love that game n how it showcases how much the ipad can do along with Dead Space n Broken Sword.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In an interesting report this morning, a reputable Android app developer was shocked to find out that one of his apps was pulled by Google with no notice. he only found out because his royalties stopped coming in. When he tried to find out why, Google would not discuss it with him, and when he did get someone to talk, he was told he violated some rule, but not what rule, and that if he complained too much, or did it again, all his apps would be pulled. Talk about heavy handed! He is getting a coalition of android app developers together to force Google to listen to them.

You mean the guy who was blatantly promoting piracy??

Disgruntled Android developer sounds battle cry, rallies troops, demands Market tweaks from Google (updated) -- Engadget

Check the update.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh, I think I am going to vomit if I hear another person quote Steve Jobs with regards to Apple creating "post-pc" devices. If its so post-pc, then why does it REQUIRE a PC to even be activated, updated, loaded with music or movies, etc. People repeating marketing jargon to make a point is seriously annoying.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh, I think I am going to vomit if I hear another person quote Steve Jobs with regards to Apple creating "post-pc" devices. If its so post-pc, then why does it REQUIRE a PC to even be activated, updated, loaded with music or movies, etc. People repeating marketing jargon to make a point is seriously annoying.

lmao ... I have to admit I am already tired of this latest talking point. It is interesting to note that Apple just rolled out one of their most impressive updates to the MacBook Pro line ever. Still, I think Steve probably has a valid point. Most of the people I know (almost all "non-tech" people) care much more about what smart phone or other portable gadget they own than their computer. In a large way consumers have already moved into a "post-PC" era for better or worse. Still, it seems like a convenient excuse to not have to talk about the hardware running these devices.

What I am really hoping for is that Steve will hurry up and declare that we are in a "post-tax" era so I don't have to send this check into the IRS this year.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The whole "post-pc" thing is nonsense at this point. Its not post-pc until it severs completely from the PC. What he should be saying is that Apple offers amazing mobile offerings through their ipod, iphone and ipad lines of devices and that these devices have allowed people access to much of the functionality of a PC in a cheaper and simpler to use package.

KHB1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IGonz said:
If I can transfer my AT&T unlimited 3G I would buy one.

I called ATT they said you can transfer. Well we will see!

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KHB1 said:
I called ATT they said you can transfer. Well we will see!

Article on being grandfathered in on the unlimited 3g through At&t oopps I lied would let me post link...its on engadget site

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the top, alot of useless threads being made..lmao

Wbslaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
I know right..got dangggg...ipad 2 is da bomb!!! It has me really contimplating getting one now ;-). They pulled out all the stops on this one. Now im torn between wanting this ipad2 or waiting for ipad3 b4 end of year..damn, Apple just set the bar very high again. They even made a joke reference of Android honeycomb only having 100 apps...lmfao

Is there really a reason to believe that an iPad3 will come out this year? What is that based upon?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
I know right..got dangggg...ipad 2 is da bomb!!! It has me really contimplating getting one now ;-). They pulled out all the stops on this one. Now im torn between wanting this ipad2 or waiting for ipad3 b4 end of year..damn, Apple just set the bar very high again. They even made a joke reference of Android honeycomb only having 100 apps...lmfao

Is there really a reason to believe that an iPad3 will come out this year? What is that based upon?

The ONLY reason they release an iPad 3 before Christmas is if Android starts really eating into their marketshare. There is literally no other reason to update the tablet that fast other than staying competitive with Android with regards to hardware, which Steve Jobs seemed to specifically dismiss in his presentation. So no, it will not be happening. For many reasons. First, Android will not be competitive with the iPad that quickly. Second, it goes against what Apple has always done in the past. Third it would piss off a lot of Apple consumers. Fourth, Steve Jobs said that it isn't just hardware but the entire ecosystem, and releasing a new model would directly contradict that.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When iPad has an SD slot and a USB slot talk to me about it being "da bomb". Until then it is a great piece of equipment with unacceptable and unnecessary limitations.

Most reactions

Latest posts