What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 is official..details here xoom owned by ipad 2

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It comes down to not having the technology. Nothing out there right now could push the pixels needed to double the resolution to create a retina display and still be able to play graphically intense games. This fall however that shouldn't be an issue if the rumors of quad core monsters are true.

There is also the factor that the increase in battery usage from the processor needs of a high resolution screen. From what I have read, 1600x1200 would be the highest resolution that would be cost and power effective. When the iPad frst came out, everyone was amazed at how great the picture was. Then they came out with Retina display and I think everyone looked more at the numbers than at the experience, especially the total impact.

Last edited:
OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
But the ipad2 having 2x CPU processing power thn orig. And 9x the graphical processing power thn original is a "Major" big deal. I want to have cams sooooo badly to be able to video chat my family as they all have EVO from sprint n video chat with each other all the time. I will be thinkn very hard on this new ipad2. It makes me wonder about ipad3 now. Should i hold out n wait or keep up with the jones's and get this ipad2 next week? Choices, choices, choices!

For me the choice is easy: skip iPad2 and wait for 3. Simple reason being hardware advancements will always follow new product releases, and I been through too many product launches to get sucked in by the initial wow factor. Ultimately, for this upgrade, cool as the updated specs are, there's nothing there which is "drop-dead must have" for me. The mileage may vary for other users, of course.
I see ur point. Ipad was my 1st major apple product. They trying to suck me in on the wo factor. I want to wait for ipad3 but i want those cams n faster cpu n better graphix. We will see as time passes. I wanna see a heavy duty app being pushed on ipad 2 to see how it really does.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In an interesting report this morning, a reputable Android app developer was shocked to find out that one of his apps was pulled by Google with no notice. he only found out because his royalties stopped coming in. When he tried to find out why, Google would not discuss it with him, and when he did get someone to talk, he was told he violated some rule, but not what rule, and that if he complained too much, or did it again, all his apps would be pulled. Talk about heavy handed! He is getting a coalition of android app developers together to force Google to listen to them.

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In an interesting report this morning, a reputable Android app developer was shocked to find out that one of his apps was pulled by Google with no notice. he only found out because his royalties stopped coming in. When he tried to find out why, Google would not discuss it with him, and when he did get someone to talk, he was told he violated some rule, but not what rule, and that if he complained too much, or did it again, all his apps would be pulled. Talk about heavy handed! He is getting a coalition of android app developers together to force Google to listen to them.

Dang, Android goin the route of charli sheen..lol google aint playing round since they prcious Android is fallin apart b4 their eyes.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google is trying to be Apple. The problem is they do not understand the finer points of how Apple works. Apple walks a fine line with the app developers. They understand the need to take a hard line when necessary, and when to make nice with developers. Look at who was the last app developer that Apple made a noise about rejecting: Sony. Better to piss off one of the big boys than to appear to be kicking the small outfits around. Google has a lot of lessons to learn and if they don't speed up the learning process, they will just wind up making Apple look better and better.

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Original 1st post updated with actual link to keynote video showcasing ipad2. Check it out!

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm half and half on iPad2 - impressed at dual-core processor (that must be a huge improvement), dissappointed at not more than 512MB RAM (1GB seems the obvious choice) and not more than 64GB storage. Thinner/lighter is always good, claimed 10 hour battery life is impressive with cpu and other enhancements. Cameras, phht, who cares? I'm not going to run around taking snaps with my huge iPad, and I'm not into webcams, etc.

Mainly seems to me they could have gone to a 128MB disk / 1 GB RAM model on this one, but then what would be left for iPad3? ;-)

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm half and half on iPad2 - impressed at dual-core processor (that must be a huge improvement), dissappointed at not more than 512MB RAM (1GB seems the obvious choice) and not more than 64GB storage. Thinner/lighter is always good, claimed 10 hour battery life is impressive with cpu and other enhancements. Cameras, phht, who cares? I'm not going to run around taking snaps with my huge iPad, and I'm not into webcams, etc.

Mainly seems to me they could have gone to a 128MB disk / 1 GB RAM model on this one, but then what would be left for iPad3? ;-)

Exactly..lol. Thats Apple's strategy. Overall despite not having 1gb ram, im impressed with it. Especially after watching the keynote release video.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"The Xoom tablet is trim, light, and very pretty ... but when you place it next to the iPad 2, it looks as though it was designed and built by angry Soviet prison labor instead of by Motorola."

Andy Ihnatko in todays Chicago Sun-Times

lennywc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If one doesn't buy the 3G model then you do not get gps and that cuts you off from using a lot of great apps . The gps should be in all models it is just too important a feature to not include it in all models. Why is it on the 3G model only ? Gps does not rquire 3G for any reason. I have the wifi only iPad and it is lousy not to be able to take advantage of all that gps offers. Do not make the mistake of buying the 3G only version.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If one doesn't buy the 3G model then you do not get gps and that cuts you off from using a lot of great apps . The gps should be in all models it is just too important a feature to not include it in all models. Why is it on the 3G model only ? Gps does not rquire 3G for any reason. I have the wifi only iPad and it is lousy not to be able to take advantage of all that gps offers. Do not make the mistake of buying the 3G only version.
The GPS chipset is part of the 3G radio. That is why.

They are not going to find a way to cram in another GPS-only chipset for wifi models which are meant to cost less in the first place.

If you want GPS you can get the 3G iPad and simply not activate 3G service. The GPS part still works.

That said I have not seen it confirmed that the iPad 2 is using the same 3G radio as the iPad 1. Apple is moving from Infineon to Qualcomm for the baseband so it could be that if they did go with Qualcomm GPS will be on both version of iPad: 3G and Wifi only.

BUT, since there is a separate model for AT&T and Verizon I would almost say they still are using Infineon on the AT&T iPad 2. The Qualcomm chipset will eventually allow iPhones/iPads to use the same radio for both AT&T and Verizon.

Michael

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does people with wifi only versions constantly complain about gps. Whether 3g or not, no ipad version has a "true" gps chipset like n mobile phones n other devices. My wifi version ipad is always right on the money when im pinpointing my location. Only difference is 3g version has built in internet access. So what, i just tether thru my win mo wifi router program n i got same fast 3g speeds. Sheeesh! Do the homework. Actually wifi uses triangulation methods which are actually better than satellite in the cities. True gps is satellite only. 3g version has assisted gps, NOT True gps!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the tech specs, A-GPS is still only available on 3G models.

Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

I will second that the GPS is a huge selling point, especially if you want to take advantage of the mobility that the iPad offers.

I returned my WiFi only model after realizing it didn't have A-GPS and will be getting an iPad2 next week.
The WiFi only 16GB iPad sold more than any other model. Methinks sale were pretty good even without GPS. One could argue that adding GPS and increasing the price higher than $499 might be over the sweet spot that helped those sales.

I should note I only have the WiFi version... But I didn't realize it didn't have GPS till return period was up, else I would have exchanged it for 3G (but would not have used 3G).

Also, my iPad is jailbroken so I am actually able to connect to a bluetooth gps unit if I wanted to... can get one for around $50 or so. But now I want iPad 2 so probably will go with 3G version. :)

Michael

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My win mo phome can act as a bluetooth gps...havent tried it out with the ipad yet though. Dont know how to go about doing it. Any thoughts?

Most reactions