What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2, I'll just wait for #3

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a first gen iPad, I would have bought one if it had a decent display like the current iPhone 4 's Retina. I was really hoping the iPad 2 would have a better display than the 1st gen. So I guess I'll wait for the iPad3.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good points, no rush but its still the best on the market or coming to the market regardless odf missing those things. I still luv my original ipad so i do see where u comin from. N remember even on ipad1, theres a work around for most things not abke to be done stock.

It also depends on one's personal expectations. Many of the perceived shortcomings which some fanboys take on an almost personal level are non-issues to the vast majority of potential customers who will be happy to own an iPad, whether 1 or 2.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's kind of funny - but I've got little urge to rush out and buy an iPad 2. Looking at my current iPad - it's exactly what I want. Speed isn't an issue, USB or SD isn't an issue, weight isn't an issue, I'm a photographer and already have a $3K camera. Buy buying an iPad 2 right now the main thing I would do is make my 5 cases obsolete.

Sure I will buy one eventually - but I might wait a year and keep going with what I have.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that iOS 4.3 will make safari a fair bit faster on the original ipad since they adding the new nitro JavaScript into safari. Which should match the speed of the new iPad (probably few secs slower if that)

When iOS 5 lands we might see some differences but the original iPad will run it smoothly. Once iOS 5 is out, iPad 3 will show up in 2012 and that would be the perfect time for an original iPad owner to consider upgrading.

Something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Dvmpiper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won my iPad in a drawing, so not sure if I'll go to the iPad 2. The one I have is convenient enough for me to use at work in a vet clinic for drug calculations and keeping reference material on. The only thing I will like to have is the ability to use my smartphone, a BB Torch, as a hotspot to connect to the Net occasionally. I haven't ever been a huge Apple fan over the years, so not sure that my current Apple product will keep me getting them. Personally, the constant getting the newest and latest as soon as it comes out is more expensive in the long run versus using what you have and are used to already. But, that is a frugal upbringing.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh more despondency at the failure of speculation and hype.
So much of this thinking is based on perceptions of computers and their hardware.
I see Firemint has already announced they will be releasing software to take advantage of the new hardware as will the dev of Photogene. They are obvious deeply disappointed too....

As Jobs stresssed at the end of his presentation the iPad is a post pc gadget and needs to be judged on it's utility. Take a look at that garageband demo and think of the quality of software this device will now support.
I for one will be ordering one despite it being only an incremental upgrade :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good points, no rush but its still the best on the market or coming to the market regardless odf missing those things. I still luv my original ipad so i do see where u comin from. N remember even on ipad1, theres a work around for most things not abke to be done stock.

It also depends on one's personal expectations. Many of the perceived shortcomings which some fanboys take on an almost personal level are non-issues to the vast majority of potential customers who will be happy to own an iPad, whether 1 or 2.

Couldnt be said any better. Your post is so true!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heh more despondency at the failure of speculation and hype.
So much of this thinking is based on perceptions of computers and their hardware.
I see Firemint has already announced they will be releasing software to take advantage of the new hardware as will the dev of Photogene. They are obvious deeply disappointed too....

As Jobs stresssed at the end of his presentation the iPad is a post pc gadget and needs to be judged on it's utility. Take a look at that garageband demo and think of the quality of software this device will now support.
I for one will be ordering one despite it being only an incremental upgrade :)

Yeah, i have some heavy duty beat making and studio apps on my ipad but that garage band demo is ecerything rolled into one. I really liked it. The imovies editing capabilities looks great also.

Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Yeah, i have some heavy duty beat making and studio apps on my ipad but that garage band demo is ecerything rolled into one. I really liked it. The imovies editing capabilities looks great also.

One of the better parts about Garageband is, that it will work on iPad 1 also. I am seriously considering to buy that app on March 11, except it has no mention of MIDI support.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not see getting the iPad 2, even though the geek in my wants one. The Scot in me is too cheap, and the Irish in me is afraid of the German in my wife.:) I do wonder one thing. If I were to get one, or even the next one, how hard would it be to swap my 3G SD card? When I get my next model, my wife will get the original an she would have little need for 3G.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:

One of the better parts about Garageband is, that it will work on iPad 1 also. I am seriously considering to buy that app on March 11, except it has no mention of MIDI support.

I was wkndering about that. Thnkx for th info. I want that imovies app also. Hopefully be able to load our own movies or clips into it. I wonder if those apps will only work if u upgrade to ios 4.3. Anyone knows?

Reaction score
Seadog said:
I do not see getting the iPad 2, even though the geek in my wants one. The Scot in me is too cheap, and the Irish in me is afraid of the German in my wife.:) I do wonder one thing. If I were to get one, or even the next one, how hard would it be to swap my 3G SD card? When I get my next model, my wife will get the original an she would have little need for 3G.

You use the mini SIM puncher to open the slot, take the SIM out and place it inside the iPad 2. It's a matter of seconds at most, depending on how long you have to search for that SIM slot opener.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Apple store there is a SD card reader. I'd honestly much rather have that than a built in one.

That makes absolutely no sense. You would rather have to carry an accessory with you than have it just built into the tablet?
Personal preference, that's all. I like the idea of having as few openings in the case as possible. Less places for dust or moisture to get into and it just looks cleaner aesthetically. In all reality though, when I'm traveling I have a bag full of electronic crap with me anyway (camera, etc.) so what's adding one little SD card reader dongle to the mix going to hurt?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's kind of funny - but I've got little urge to rush out and buy an iPad 2. Looking at my current iPad - it's exactly what I want.

That "wow" feeling will pass quickly enough. Sure, it's nice to have and I'd love to win one in a raffle or lucky draw, but the reality is that I'm quite happy with what I have. There will always be something else better/faster/cooler out there.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's kind of funny - but I've got little urge to rush out and buy an iPad 2. Looking at my current iPad - it's exactly what I want.

That "wow" feeling will pass quickly enough. Sure, it's nice to have and I'd love to win one in a raffle or lucky draw, but the reality is that I'm quite happy with what I have. There will always be something else better/faster/cooler out there.

You right, but if i dont get an ipad2, im definitely getting 3rd generstion as soon as it drops. Gotta admit it though, the new ipad is a complete redisgn that if side by side to original, it beats it, hands down. Faster cpu,gpu, dual cams, lighter, thinner, just better overall. Im just glad those new apps gonna be able to run on ipad1 also once ios 4.3 comes. A good refresh for original ipad owners with new ios coming. Plis imfinity blade just got updated again finally, ipad is great!

Most reactions

Latest posts