What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Display problem

Dannymik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with my son's iPad 2. The screen was cracked and I replaced it with a new screen/digitizer, but it's not displaying anything. Th iPad is getting power (or at least I think it is) as I can see a small white light activate on one of the corners of the LCD when I hit the power button. All my connections seem tight and without any visual issues. It looks like the problem exists with the LCD and not the new digitizer, but I'm not a technician to confirm that.

See the video below for a better description of what I'm experiencing. TIA
-Daniel

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the cable connecting to the back of the lcd may be partially disconnected. There should be a small piece of black tape covering the cable connector on the back of the lcd itself, remove that and inspect the connection. Other options include a damaged lcd board ( part of the back of the lcd), or logic board damage ( check the small components where the lcd cable plugs into the logic board).

OP
D

Dannymik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the cable connecting to the back of the lcd may be partially disconnected. There should be a small piece of black tape covering the cable connector on the back of the lcd itself, remove that and inspect the connection. Other options include a damaged lcd board ( part of the back of the lcd), or logic board damage ( check the small components where the lcd cable plugs into the logic board).

Thanks for your response. I did inspect the other LCD connection that you are referring to and it's fine. I also looked at the

OP
D

Dannymik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I did inspect the other LCD connection that you are referring to and it's fine. I also looked at the
Opps, hit the wrong button. I also inspected the immediate area around these connections and everything looks fine. When I plug the iPad into my laptop the computer recognizes it. I may have to take a chance and purchase a new LCD.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
did you power the iPad off before changing the digitizer and disconnecting the lcd? If you didn't that could cause issues with the backlight circuit. One last thing to try could be a hard reset, hold the power and home button for 10 seconds.

OP
D

Dannymik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using a 3rd party screen or a genuine Apple screen?

I purchased the screen off of eBay, probably a 3rd party. I know it's not the best replacement but this is my 4th time replacing a screen on an iPad (2nd time on this one) and I've never had an issue before.

When I unplug the digitizer the LCD does the same thing... little white light activates in the corner (of the LCD).

OP
D

Dannymik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
did you power the iPad off before changing the digitizer and disconnecting the lcd? If you didn't that could cause issues with the backlight circuit. One last thing to try could be a hard reset, hold the power and home button for 10 seconds.

The digitizer was damaged but I do recall powering it down. That's the first step I take when doing one of these repairs. When I went to power it back up, after the repair, I didn't see anything displayed. This is why I flipped the screen open, looking for a loose connection or any of mistake. I'm at a loss right now!

OP
D

Dannymik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to give an update on this iPad display problem as it may help others who come across this issue. I sent it in for an logic board backlight repair, which is somewhat common. The technician emailed me that he couldn't do the repair as the backlight was functioning 100%. I did some more searching around and found a company that does more extensive repairs on various Apple products. It turned out that the problem was the "LCD choke". Not sure where that is located on the motherboard/logic board but $50 later my iPad is back in business.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the follow up and the update! I'm sure it will help someone in the future.

Most reactions

Latest posts