What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 camera

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why people want high quality cameras on a device that is clumsy when used as a still camera. The cameras are ideal when used for FaceTime and Skype, and we're never intended to function as still cameras. Video quality is very good. Check out my video "Downhill all the way" on YouTube. It was shot out of the windshield of my truck, with my iPhone supplying the soundtrack (Chris Rea: Road To Hell).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the iPads aren't designed to take good quality pictures why even have a rear facing camera??? Why not just have a camcorder???

Some people use the rear-facing camera to video chat, Skype, FaceTime. You can show what you're looking at and still see whomever you're talking with. For instance, you can show grandparents their grandkids at play; real estate people can show houses as they chat; business people can show products; etc.

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's surprising how many people I see take pictures with the iPad. Obviously it is something people want to do, and I think we will see an updated camera on the iPad 3.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's surprising how many people I see take pictures with the iPad. Obviously it is something people want to do, and I think we will see an updated camera on the iPad 3.

It'll be interesting to see what emerges, because higher-resolution cameras might create probs for some people using FaceTime, Skype, etc., because their wifi or 3G connections might not be fast enough to handle high-res video chats. There are many variables to consider besides just tossing in a better camera or two because some people want to take better-quality photos.

Last edited:

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice insight. But I also think if they don't upgrade the camera and they do double the resolution of the screen, people are going to be unhappy with FaceTime. It just won't look good with such a low resolution camera.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice insight. But I also think if they don't upgrade the camera and they do double the resolution of the screen, people are going to be unhappy with FaceTime. It just won't look good with such a low resolution camera.

Apple will have considered the variables, I expect. A lot of the same people who complain about camera quality now probably would complain if the cameras were upgraded and they suddenly found Skype, FaceTime, etc., unusable because their wifi or 3G connections were too slow to keep up.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It'll be interesting to see what emerges, because higher-resolution cameras might create probs for some people using FaceTime, Skype, etc., because their wifi or 3G connections might not be fast enough to handle high-res video chats. There are many variables to consider besides just tossing in a better camera or two because some people want to take better-quality photos.

My point exactly. I use Skype and FaceTime for transAtlantic calls. The iPad cameras are fine for that, and the extra bandwidth required for hires video would probably affect the call quality adversely. There are times even now where I have to turn off the video because the network is too slow.

Now if the camera was switchable between 8mp and 1mp...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now if the camera was switchable between 8mp and 1mp...

Yes, I was thinking that that might be a possibility, but I don't know how much cost diff there'd be and whether it would create other demands technically that would have to be factored into production and servicing.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple delivers.

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if... It does an auto adjust depending on your bandwidth. It will do a higher resolution with less compression if both parties are on a good connection, lower res with more compression on a slow connection. Espn 3 does it, why can't apple?

That way we get upgraded cameras, folks with slow bandwidth can still have a smooth streaming video.

Most reactions

Latest posts