What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 build quality

jetsetter883

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just 'OCD' but I'm up to my fifth Ipad 2 and all five of them have had a slightly loose volume adjustment switch. This tends to irk me, as my father's second generation Ipad does not have this issue at all. His switch is rock solid. Yes, I am very picky about this above all other 'issues' since my finger tends to rest by this area while holding the device vertically and being able to 'play' with the volume switch is not a feature I'd like to have in a $500 device. I'd even take a bit of light bleed over this.

Anyone else familiar with this issue? Am I crazy or are others just not as particular?

OP
J

jetsetter883

iPF Noob
Reaction score
haha, thank you for your not-quite-helpful post. but i am just trying to find out if the vast majority of ipads are like this. if so i will rest easy.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW my volume rocker in not loose at all to any degree I can discern.

Last edited:

jeffreydc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have had five in a row with the same problem as you stated dont you think that the problem is with how you "perceive" it to be? You honestly think you just happended to pick up 5 in a row with the same defect. The odds of that would be 1 in billions if it were a true defect. What you think is loose may not be to anyone else. I would think after getting your third one with the same problem you would have realized that its just designed that way and move on with your life.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or maybe you could turn to a Apple Store and get the tech help from there, :)

OP
J

jetsetter883

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ i'm doubting the Apple store will be of much help.. or were you being sarcastic? Either way both of the ones I tried from there had varying degrees of wiggle along with the now 6 or so I've tried from other stores. Yea, I'm 'OCD' about my (expensive) toys but that's besides the point.

Does anyone else's Ipad 2 have this volume switch wiggle? Yes, we are talking around half a millimeter in wiggle room but the presence of the wiggle is what bothers me, considering my father's is damn near perfect (although coincidentally his mute switch is a bit wiggly).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've bought and synched two iPad 2s and returned another after deciding to upgrade for more storage. None of the volume switches wiggled.

OP
J

jetsetter883

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wiggle is extremely slight and occurs mostly when I toy around with the switch. But I am beginning to wonder two things: 1) if I'm only finding this 'wiggle' because I am looking for it, and 2) that others must have this as well but being as it's so slight they are just simply not noticing it.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Expensive toy no. It is not a toy I cannot understand your problem I suggest you go to an Apple store and arrange an appointment with one of the techs to discuss. The iPod is a top of the line product the only issue has been the lighting problem which was resolved by LG as it was in manufacturing. I have checked with 4 stores as part of our group here in Australia and the return rate is low. I mean less than .05 % return of product. customer satisfaction is the highest of any PC company. To have 5 iPads have same problem is real strange. In the 18 months I have been a member and in admin on this site I have not heard of a complaint like this. To describe the iPad as a toy does not cut it If so why did United Airlines issue iPads to all there pilots and so many schools world wide are providing iPads for students. I could go on. I wonder what you want from the products you buy......... Again go to an Apple store if you are still not satisfied return it....then purchase maybe the HP tablet oh I forgot not available or some android product.. And compare...... Best of luck.

OP
J

jetsetter883

iPF Noob
Reaction score
haha calm down dude. i used the word 'toy' in the sense that expensive electronic gadgets are a form of 'toys' for adults. i wasn't comparing it to a fisher price item. anyway, i think im going to return to the apple store and just get a final one from there, regardless of any imperfections (which is more accurate to say than defect). and like i said, having gone through several with the same 'imperfection', im willing to bet it is just part of the design. perhaps my dad's "rock solid" volume switch is more of a fluke. it must be.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm anal, so I generally notice imperfections, even if I can live with them. If I buy 12 cans of soup, I check every can for dents before I put them in my cart. If I buy 10 cushions, I check all the zippers for catches and look all over for sewing imperfections. If my iPad volume switches were weird, I'd have noticed by now, lol. But no such experience with any of the iPads I've owned or given away.

One of my iPads has developed a dying pixel, though, which I'm keeping an eye on.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just 'OCD' but I'm up to my fifth Ipad 2 and all five of them have had a slightly loose volume adjustment switch. This tends to irk me, as my father's second generation Ipad does not have this issue at all. His switch is rock solid. Yes, I am very picky about this above all other 'issues' since my finger tends to rest by this area while holding the device vertically and being able to 'play' with the volume switch is not a feature I'd like to have in a $500 device. I'd even take a bit of light bleed over this.

Anyone else familiar with this issue? Am I crazy or are others just not as particular?

Build quality might be an issue, but you must consider that the switches (NOT built by Apple or Fox, or other Contract Manufacturers) might be within specifications. So it might be that what appears to be faulty to you, is perfectly acceptable by the manufacturer or Apple. Apple does not inspect absolutely every iPad and neither does ANY other Contract Manufacturer.

Or . . .

Your friends iPad has a bad switch and its apparent "tightness" might be a defective switch; it is not supposed to be that tight, for example.

Or . . .

The specifications are different for the second generation iPad than the first version.

I prefer to quickly press the Home Button and drag the row of icons at the bottom of the screen to the right. You will be able to control volume and screen brightness from there.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FWIW my volume rocker in not loose at all to any degree I can discern.

On another forum (Yes, I am Bi-Forum) this issue was discussed. The OP mentioned his switch "wiggled." He mentioned it would wiggle about a quarter of a millimeter. That is NOT an issue.

OP
J

jetsetter883

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So.. does yours wiggle the same amount? And yes I do believe the machinery that cuts out the holes for the buttons needs to be fine-tuned a bit. Too much variation.

Most reactions

Latest posts