What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Battery Tip

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HT4060_03-ipad--001-mul.jpg

Since the first days after buying my iPad 2 I have wondered whether my battery performance compared to Apples advertized battery life of 10 hours. At first, I thought I was getting exactly that. Getting up in the morning I would check my e-mail, update apps, surf a bit or read my local newspaper. Then off to work I would go, leaving my iPad at home. After work the iPad would be used heavily from 5 to 9 in the evening. If my battery wasn't drained it was awfully close and I would plug it in to recharge overnight. Doing the math, this adds up to 5 hours of heavy use. Sure it was on from 7 AM to 9 PM, but during the daylight hours it wasn't being used! Does this sound similar to your experience?

I started searching the web if others experienced the same thing. Here is what every iPad 2 owner needs to know. Since the release of iOS 4.3, Apple has inadvertantly introduced a bug (my assumption) that causes a battery drain. The culprit is Ping, Apple's failed social network. You must turn Ping off to regain normal battery performance.

To turn off "Ping"
• First, go to Settings
• Then General
• Then Restrictions

Settings.png

• Now click on "enable restrictions"
• Enter a pin code (don't forget it!)
• Finally, turn Ping off (while you're at it, turn other things off that you don't think you need)

Ping.png

I had a noticeable improvement. Has turning off Ping helped your battery life?

Here's hoping that Apple fixes this in a future iOS update.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to enable Ping in iTunes first - so if you haven't, it stays dormant. I never set it up and am getting about ten hours between charges. I do keep airplane mode on (unless 3G is needed). Ditto for WiFi.

OP
D

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that Aspasia. I NEVER enabled ping from iTunes or elsewhere and still had this issue.

What is the advantage to keeping Airplane mode on?

Thanks in advance.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that Aspasia. I NEVER enabled ping from iTunes or elsewhere and still had this issue.

What is the advantage to keeping Airplane mode on?

Thanks in advance.

If you haven't activated Ping at iTunes, then how can it be active? Could be that apps running in the background, fetch for email, or some other process is using battery juice.

Airplane mode keeps 3G from connecting when WiFi is not available and you don't need/want a connection. Like when you're driving, or in a store, etc. I read somewhere (probably here) that 3G and WiFi do increase battery consumption.

OP
D

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't activated Ping at iTunes, then how can it be active? Could be that apps running in the background, fetch for email, or some other process is using battery juice.

I KNOW it makes no sense, BUT since I have actually turned Ping off I'm up to & surpassing 10 hours of battery life! The solution is not mine, I found it scouring the internet. Maybe it affects only some devices...it sure as hell helped mine.

BTW, I always kill running apps and have limited fetching for e-mail and even tried turning down the brightness! None of that had an appreciable effect on my battery life.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Ping till this thread. (I try to use iTunes as little as possible. Hate it.) So I looked for it, and the first thing I saw on the iTunes Ping page was "Turn on Ping," which I ignored. I went to check my iPad 1, which I've had since debut day, and saw that Ping was on there. I don't know whether it matters if it's off on iTunes but on on iPad, but I switched off the iPad toggle anyway, to see whether there's any difference.

Like I said, I've had iPad 1 since day one. I've been getting at least 10 hours a day. I know because I'm semi-retired, and there have been plenty of days when I've used iPad for 10 hours straight. Longer battery life would be great, of course.

I don't know about iPad 2. I haven't used mine enough to gauge battery life.

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aspasia said:
You have to enable Ping in iTunes first - so if you haven't, it stays dormant. I never set it up and am getting about ten hours between charges. I do keep airplane mode on (unless 3G is needed). Ditto for WiFi.

I forgot what is airplane mode?
Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:

I forgot what is airplane mode?
Thanks

It blocks wi-fi and 3G, so signals won't interfere with an airplane's operations. (Layman's explanation.) You can use it at other times, too, basically blocking 3G and wi-fi so that you cut down on battery consumption. Of course, you can't go online without a connection.

I use airplane mode when I have iDevices nearby while I sleep. Maybe save myself some extra radiation exposure. Of course, I use iStuff so many hours I'm probably doomed anyway.

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It blocks wi-fi and 3G, so signals won't interfere with an airplane's operations. (Layman's explanation.) You can use it at other times, too, basically blocking 3G and wi-fi so that you cut down on battery consumption. Of course, you can't go online without a connection.

I use airplane mode when I have iDevices nearby while I sleep. Maybe save myself some extra radiation exposure. Of course, I use iStuff so many hours I'm probably doomed anyway.

LOL Thanks.

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
another Battery extender is to turn down your screen brightness to half, if not more. I've done some personall tests. One week I kept it fully lit and noted its charge every night abouth the same time. the next week I kept it at half and noted the charge. on the average I get another 10% with it dimmed down to 1/2 or less.

My usage habits are about the same M-F every day. AM podcast on the way in to work, emails, VPN to admin a server, Citrix usage, podcast on the way home. Goofing off at night.

OP
D

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'd never heard of Ping till this thread. (I try to use iTunes as little as possible. Hate it.) So I looked for it, and the first thing I saw on the iTunes Ping page was "Turn on Ping," which I ignored. I went to check my iPad 1, which I've had since debut day, and saw that Ping was on there. I don't know whether it matters if it's off on iTunes but on on iPad, but I switched off the iPad toggle anyway, to see whether there's any difference.

Like I said, I've had iPad 1 since day one. I've been getting at least 10 hours a day. I know because I'm semi-retired, and there have been plenty of days when I've used iPad for 10 hours straight. Longer battery life would be great, of course.

I don't know about iPad 2. I haven't used mine enough to gauge battery life.

Hi KayKaykay,

Apparently this is an issue that ONLY affects iPad2's. You DO NOT have to do this with your iPad 1. I was not getting anything like10 hours, but now I am...

Petdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the smart cover, and after closing it I hear the audible click that says it's shutting off, but the battery still seems to drain while it's just sitting on my desk. I thought it was due to the smart cover. I have my brightness turned way down. Is anyone else having this problem?

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The smart cover only puts it to sleep if I remember correctly. I have a cover that does that as well and I see some battery drain using it, buts it's only like 1-2% overnight. I just checked and Ping was on on my iPad and I never enabled it in iTunes either. Must be a default setting?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions