What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 battery life

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone got any suggestions? I'd hate to have to bring it back.. The closest Apple store is three hours away I think. Today, for the second time, my iPad died before the end of the day. I took it off the charger at 1:30pm today and by 1:45am it was dead. I use it for school, but it couldn't have been on more than half the time. I charged my iPad 1 every other day, and I never once had it die on me. I had the tethered jailbreak on there for at least 4 months before I decided to restart it one day and realized I had to do something with it.

I've actually heard that iPad 2 should lasts slightly longer than the iPad 1. Maybe I should try wiping it?

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad idea to restore if you have done ALL the steps mentioned in this thread.

Ping is apparently a major issue.

Did you turn that off?

Did you upgrade to 4.3.1?

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ping is off. I haven't upgraded yet because I've been waiting to see if a JB is released for 4.3, but I'll run Tiny Umbrella now. It shouldn't make a difference that I don't really close out of things in the multitasking bar should it?

Just tried Tiny Umbrella and it looks like Apple has stopped signing 4.3. I'd like to avoid upgrading if possible, but I'd imagine Apple is weird about replacing iPads for battery issues, so maybe I should do it sooner rather than later.

Just tried this: http://deepakjulien.com/battery-draining-fast-in-ios-4-3-fixing.html

I'll back tomorrow to tell you if it works

Edit: Something to consider: The above post links the battery life to Mail settings which need to be manually forced to a particular setting. An earlier poster said he gets better life with 3G on vs 3G off. Perhaps if Mail settings are the culprit, turning 3G on forces Mail to use settings that are more data friendly than when it is off. I'm not sure if this makes sense though, because my battery life is less than 7 hours. I can't imagine anything short of a highly graphics intensive online game killing my battery life by 33%

Last edited:

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without a doubt, my battery life is infinitely better. I'm trying to be careful not to fall for a placebo, but seriously, I've been playing Tower Madness for an hour at least and I used it today at school. My battery is now at 88%, which is back in the category where I am amazed at how good the battery life is on the iPad. To anyone with issues, try the fix in the link I posted!

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgrade to 4.3.1 before you do a wipe. Installing that upgrade over 4.3.0 has made a Hugh difference in the length of use for my iPad 2 in-between charges. At least it did for me. Give it a try you have noting to loose since you can always go back and do the wipe at any time.

ChrisL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the previous poster suggested, Netflix is only available in the US because of copyright issues. In addition, even if you have the Netflix app on your iPad you cannot access from outside the US - the app checks your IP address; while this is not an absolute guarantee that the user is in the US (and it sometimes wrongly identifies someone as being outside the US when they are, in fact, inside the US) it works reasonably well. So this means that US citizens on vacation overseas cannot use Netflix from the beaches of bleak and cold Scotland to watch their favourite movies ......

Tim
Scotland

Netflix was introduced in Canada a few months ago and works just fine.

cemturc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how come that my ipad 2 spends 1% in less 4 minutes, while in the first days it was spending about 1% in 6 minutes (in same conditions of course, full browsing in 3g and applications). i bought the gadget just 1 week ago!
i can understand a baterry lasting lesser in a year.. but only one week! does it make sense to anyone??

thanks in advance.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
cemturc said:
how come that my ipad 2 spends 1% in less 4 minutes, while in the first days it was spending about 1% in 6 minutes (in same conditions of course, full browsing in 3g and applications). i bought the gadget just 1 week ago!
i can understand a baterry lasting lesser in a year.. but only one week! does it make sense to anyone??

thanks in advance.

3G signal strength? volume? same sites? as the site contents could have more demanding content such as video, sound etc

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the previous poster suggested, Netflix is only available in the US because of copyright issues. In addition, even if you have the Netflix app on your iPad you cannot access from outside the US - the app checks your IP address; while this is not an absolute guarantee that the user is in the US (and it sometimes wrongly identifies someone as being outside the US when they are, in fact, inside the US) it works reasonably well. So this means that US citizens on vacation overseas cannot use Netflix from the beaches of bleak and cold Scotland to watch their favourite movies ......

Tim
Scotland

Netflix was introduced in Canada a few months ago and works just fine.

Good to know! Thanks!

htowngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
never quite understood why people keep it at 100% brightness unless they were outside

my eyes would be hurting after viewing a super bright screen indoors

cemturc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cemturc said:

thanks in advance.

3G signal strength? volume? same sites? as the site contents could have more demanding content such as video, sound etc

i only discharged the battery once or twice. i dont wait anymore the battery to reach down to 1% to start charging. can this be the one of causes??

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I am just wondering how long the battery life is meant to last as I have disabled ping, used the calender but I have been playing some games one of which is dead space so it uses graphics

All in all 3 hours maximum, maybe around 2.5 hours and my battery is at 58% (oh I have things running in the background and full brightness)

Is this normal (never had an iPad before so just want to double check)

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF
I took a workshop at an Apple Store last week. The instructor said that when you close the "smart cover" programs running in the background continue to run. To stop this you have to shut down the IPad with the switch. They also said not to leave Ipad charging overnight as this will reduce the number of charge cycles over the life of the battery. Charge when below 20%. Normally the battery should be good for over 1000 charge cycles. Hope any of this helps.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
willywonka said:
I took a workshop at an Apple Store last week. The instructor said that when you close the "smart cover" programs running in the background continue to run. To stop this you have to shut down the IPad with the switch. They also said not to leave Ipad charging overnight as this will reduce the number of charge cycles over the life of the battery. Charge when below 20%. Normally the battery should be good for over 1000 charge cycles. Hope any of this helps.

don't over charge, and don't run the battery completely down

but to be honest, if I remember correctly, the battery in the iPad is huge, so should last a long time regardless of how you charge it

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I am just wondering how long the battery life is meant to last as I have disabled ping, used the calender but I have been playing some games one of which is dead space so it uses graphics

All in all 3 hours maximum, maybe around 2.5 hours and my battery is at 58% (oh I have things running in the background and full brightness)

Is this normal (never had an iPad before so just want to double check)

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Interesting post. Was this instructor an Apple employee? To stop programs from running the background you just have to shut down the app, not turn off the iPad.

I never turn off my iPad ~ except I let it drain completely around once a month ~ I think Apple tells you this in the manual. And I always charge my iPad at night all night over night.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
only time my iPads or iPhones are not charging is when I either forget to plug it in :p or I am using them out and about otherwise, they are sat on my desk charging away ready to go at short notice

Most reactions

Latest posts