What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 battery draining faster since 6.1 JB

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing this? My iPad 2 was previously jailbroken (forget what firmware) and I upgraded to 6.1 and then did the jailbreak. I have noticed that my battery is draining quite a bit faster. I have the same tweaks installed that I did with the previous jailbreak. Last night I took it off the charger and it was at 100%, after about 10 minutes of use it still showed 100% and then about 3 minutes later it had dropped down to 97% and all I was doing was surfing the web and reading an article. If I watch videos it's even faster compared to my previous jailbreak. I used to maybe charge my iPad once a week but now it’s about 2-3 times a week. My usage hasn’t changed regarding the amount of time or videos/content (I don’t play video games or anything like that). I’m just curious if anyone else has noticed a more rapid battery drain, thanks!

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your screen brightness. I had it turned down, and I think the upgrade reset it to the default greater brightness. That will drain your battery...

OP
Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I will adjust it and keep an eye on the battery and see if that seems to make a difference.

OP
Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've been jailbroken now for a week or so and no matter the changes I make to settings the battery life still sucks compared to my JB on 5.1.1. I guess I'm gonna see if I'm able to revert back to that version, I have my blobs saved, the restore.ipsw and the JB software... just can't remember if it is possible to revert back regardless if I have all of this for my iPad 2 wifi only.

Update: It looks like it is possible unless I'm not reading this page right http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html Will find out this weekend. Surprised that it seems I'm the only one noticing faster battery drain, maybe a hiccup when I did restore or JB?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've been jailbroken now for a week or so and no matter the changes I make to settings the battery life still sucks compared to my JB on 5.1.1. I guess I'm gonna see if I'm able to revert back to that version, I have my blobs saved, the restore.ipsw and the JB software... just can't remember if it is possible to revert back regardless if I have all of this for my iPad 2 wifi only.

Update: It looks like it is possible unless I'm not reading this page right http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html Will find out this weekend. Surprised that it seems I'm the only one noticing faster battery drain, maybe a hiccup when I did restore or JB?

You will only be able to restore to 5.1.1 IF you have two sets of saved SHSH Blobs. One for any 4.x firmware, and the other set for 5.1.1. Without these you are stuck on the latest 6.x firmware for the time being.

As regards battery drain, you should not be noticing anything being significantly different unless...

1. You are experiencing the Exchange Calendar Bug issue (so only if you are actively using and syncing a Microsoft Exchange based Calendar to your iPad).

or

2. You have installed a tweak from Cydia which is not yet 6.x compatible.

If anything, my battery live has improved on 6.1 ;)

OP
Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
F4780y, thanks for the response. I do have a few of the 4.x firmware SHSH blobs so I should be good to go. I'm not using the exchange calendar, I will double check all my installed tweaks to make sure they are listed as compatible with 6.x but I'm pretty sure they are. I figured maybe because it's an older iPad2 maybe it wasn't handling the iOS 6 well and causing the battery to drain faster but thought it was odd that I seemed to be the only one. I turned off location services, alerts, bluetooth, lowered the brightness and everything else I could think of to no avail. Thanks again!

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, just read your original post, you're definitely not the only one experiencing that (I just posted to this forum also regarding the battery issue). I have the same problem on my iPad "3", despite being very meticulous (about closing all the apps and initiating airplane mode) when putting the device into standby. I also have the same set-up as before, and even less Cydia tweaks than before. I'm guessing it has something to do with either a "regular" app/service or one of the Cydia tweaks. Did you perhaps also notice anything else, such as keyboard being less responsive (or on some occasions, the scrolling not so smooth)?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, just read your original post, you're definitely not the only one experiencing that (I just posted to this forum also regarding the battery issue). I have the same problem on my iPad "3", despite being very meticulous (about closing all the apps and initiating airplane mode) when putting the device into standby. I also have the same set-up as before, and even less Cydia tweaks than before. I'm guessing it has something to do with either a "regular" app/service or one of the Cydia tweaks. Did you perhaps also notice anything else, such as keyboard being less responsive (or on some occasions, the scrolling not so smooth)?

What you are describing is a serious issue. You need to backup the device and fully restore it. Nothing should be lagging! If it happens again after that, then you certainly have a tweak which is not designed for ios6.

I have dozens of tweaks on my iPads and the performance on iOS 6.1.2 is fine, as is the battery.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
What you are describing is a serious issue. You need to backup the device and fully restore it. Nothing should be lagging! If it happens again after that, then you certainly have a tweak which is not designed for ios6.

I have dozens of tweaks on my iPads and the performance on iOS 6.1.2 is fine, as is the battery.

Yup, same here, I've actually found that my iPad is less laggy and the battery is just as good as ever since the 6.1.2 Jailbreak!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guess I'll first try to disable tweaks one by one, starting with adblock and Siri (not a tweak though :) ). I suppose there could probably be some leftovers from 5.1.1 clashing with the current system. If I do the big reinstall, I'd like start with a complete deletion this time, and setting things up gradually. Where does one start this -- is the reset/delete from the Settings also valid for a jailbroken device?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I'll first try to disable ... [snip] ... setting things up gradually. Where does one start this -- is the reset/delete from the Settings also valid for a jailbroken device?

Oh, no, please don't ever use the Reset tab on a jail broken iPad. When an iPad is jail broken, some of its system files get moved around and the Reset function(s) will not work. Guaranteed, you will bork up your iPad and have to start all over with a fresh install [anyway].

Your best bet is to download the 6.1.2 iOS (if you don't already have it) and use DFU mode to install it "fresh." Then, you can start all over again with a new jail break. Do note that if you don't put your backup on - you'll REALLY be starting from scratch; it'll be like new. Of course, you'll have to manually put everything back on and reset your Settings. But, sometimes, the effort helps in "cleaning" up.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, no, please don't ever use the Reset tab on a jail broken iPad. When an iPad is jail broken, some of its system files get moved around and the Reset function(s) will not work. Guaranteed, you will bork up your iPad and have to start all over with a fresh install [anyway].

Your best bet is to download the 6.1.2 iOS (if you don't already have it) and use DFU mode to install it "fresh." Then, you can start all over again with a new jail break. Do note that if you don't put your backup on - you'll REALLY be starting from scratch; it'll be like new. Of course, you'll have to manually put everything back on and reset your Settings. But, sometimes, the effort helps in "cleaning" up.

Marilyn

I lol'd at bork.

If you do indeed have a Siriport on your iPad, take special care in removing and clearing out the modded/moved files because restoring can brick your device even in DFU mode, which is why it's important to backup the original system files before you install Siriport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I lol'd at bork.

If you do indeed have a Siriport on your iPad, take special care in removing and clearing out the modded/moved files because restoring can brick your device even in DFU mode, which is why it's important to backup the original system files before you install Siriport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Can you provide some evidence of this Jon? I've been jailbreaking since 2007, I've never come across a single bricked iPad, according to the proper definition of a bricked device, although I've seen the odd phone (but not for a few years now).

Since you say this can happen "even in DFU mode", you can only be referring to a "hard brick" (i.e irrecoverable) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_(electronics), no?

A Siri port (aside from probably being illegal) does not alter the baseband of a wireless enabled iPad, and in common with the iPhone, a corrupted baseband is the only way to "hard brick" an idevice, notwithstanding a hardware failure AFAIK.

Since DFU is cooked into the bootrom, a DFU restore cannot be effected by anything installed on the device, no matter how corrupted. That's the reason Apple designed it that way... Whilst I detest the use of the term brick when used in the context of a "soft brick" as we take great pains to explain to our members that you cannot brick an iPad, a so called "soft brick" can always be recovered fully via DFU mode unless something serious has passed me by ;)

Most reactions