What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2, any aps for sending SMS or making calls other than Skype?

sivsura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Do any one know is there any aps available for ipad2 to send and receive text messages using 3G sim card? And also any aps for making calls?

Thanks,

Pazuzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.wtfcinema.com
I use my google voice/google account with Talkatone (VoIP caller and SMS sender) and I use GVConnect mainly for texts because talk atone has a clear button and I accidentally push it from time to time. GVConnect also works with talkatone. The only drawback was the lack of push notifications of texts/calls that happened right when someone would send me a text.. Luckily Boxcar works with GVConnect and sends you the notification.

It's kind of confusing setting it all up, but I'm kinda picky...
To just get by.. Try using Talkatone with a google account... It does the job

YOU ARE TEARIN ME APART, LISA!

OP
S

sivsura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pazuzu said:
I use my google voice/google account with Talkatone (VoIP caller and SMS sender) and I use GVConnect mainly for texts because talk atone has a clear button and I accidentally push it from time to time. GVConnect also works with talkatone. The only drawback was the lack of push notifications of texts/calls that happened right when someone would send me a text.. Luckily Boxcar works with GVConnect and sends you the notification.

It's kind of confusing setting it all up, but I'm kinda picky...
To just get by.. Try using Talkatone with a google account... It does the job

YOU ARE TEARIN ME APART, LISA!

Thanks for the details, but, looks like, this service is only for US, I live in India, so need to know any such service available.

Thanks,

deano2806

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes on 12th OS5 is coming with which have over 200 new cool features 1 of which will be iMessage which will allow you to send messages to other iPod/iPhone/iPad users. It's a messaging service exclusively for iOS users (irrespective of which device they're rocking), which comes with delivery and read receipts, an indicator for when the other party is typing, and the ability to push messages to all your devices. Kinda, sorta like BBM. You'll be able to send messages, photos, videos, and contacts. Group messaging will also be available. It works over either WiFi or 3G and looks to be making good use of Apple's new push notifications. I am Not sure though if it is cross platform as in Blackberry or HTC though, but I for 1 cannot wait as I currently use Pingchat & if this works better then I will most certainly be deleting it & this will be it's replacement :)

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Textplus is my favorite for text only. You can get your own Textplus number as well. I've used it on multiple platforms and it works nicely.

Whistle is not bad for free ad-based VOIP phone calls. I've only used it is the USA but it did come in handy when giving a phone number to a questionable source that required it before providing information I needed. That company followed up with spam calls and they had quite a surprise. :D

deano2806

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Skype, Teamspeak for when I am playing multiplayer gaming, but when OS5 goes live on Wednesday 12th it will have the new cool iMessage which looks really useful messaging feature......check it out on Apple's website......I mean if it is better then Pingchat then I will stop using this & use iMessage instead :)

Most reactions

Latest posts