What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 Wifi G and/or N Connection to Belkin Router Problem

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad 1 (refurb) working great. Quick question though, I understand the iPad is 11N capable, yes?

All my devices are N capable now, so was resetting my Belkin router to N only, but the iPad can't connect (error message). My Windows laptop connects OK, Droid X also.

I "forgot" the connection then re-added it with no luck. Pulled power on router, still nothing. Router has latest firmware updates.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. May be a mute point anyway, is there an advantage to going "N" only vs G+N?

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad 1 (refurb) working great. Quick question though, I understand the iPad is 11N capable, yes?

All my devices are N capable now, so was resetting my Belkin router to N only, but the iPad can't connect (error message). My Windows laptop connects OK, Droid X also.

I "forgot" the connection then re-added it with no luck. Pulled power on router, still nothing. Router has latest firmware updates.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. May be a mute point anyway, is there an advantage to going "N" only vs G+N?

Thanks.

Yes - the iPad1 was 802.11n compliant but there were issues because some chipsets used in early 802.11n devices were compliant with the Draft Standard issued by the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). As a result, there were some incompatibilities between devices sold that were based on this draft standard. Although the standard is now finalised there are certain to be products out there that are still Draft 802.11n compliant. Most manufacturers who sold Draft Standard products undertook to make firmware upgrades available to consumers should the finally published standard differ from the draft one.

So you say that your router has the latest firmware upgrades - so it should be fully compatible with the published standard.

What is less clear - and I'd be happy if someone out there in Forum-land knows the answer - is whether the chipsets used in the iPad1 were draft or published-standard compliant or, indeed, whether there were changes made during the production run of the iPad1.

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thumbs up to Apple customer care. Used the call back feature and they checked a few things, then sent me an email with a help sheet showing the settings, and after getting everything lined up - bingo, worked like a charm.

Thanks Apple, I'm digging experience again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to hear. Apple Care does get some good reports from users but it's typically only the people who don't get a good service that we hear from. Thanks for letting us know it worked out OK.

I should, of course, say that iPad Forum is in no way affiliated with Apple - it's entirely independent. Hey - we even criticise Apple some times....

Tim
Scotland

Josr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you post up the settings they gave you?
I'm having the same issue.
Thanks
Josr

Reaction score
Just a little side information.

The iPad 1&2 don't have a real 11n antenna. It can connect to the network alright, but due to a crippled antenna is the max. throughput limited to 65Mbps, not much faster then the 54Mbps of 11g.

"There are three 802.11n improvements that bump up the maximum data rate from the 54 Mbps we had with 802.11a/g: more efficient (5/6 instead of 3/4) OFDM coding, double-wide (40 MHz instead of 20 MHz) channels and MIMO antenna systems (for spatial multiplexing)."

The iPad only sports the first improvement.

http://www.sniffwifi.com/2010/04/apple-i-love-ya-but-youre-shady-another.html

Josr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you,
That explains a lot.
I did want the settings tho cause for some reason this belkin won't let me connect in n only.
I see now after reading your post is doesn't matter much.
Still I like to know how things work an to be able to get them to work.
I read that article and it does seem dubious of Apple.but that's nothing new in this country

Josr

Most reactions