What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD on Belkin N+

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI the 802.11n spec states that you must use WPA2 or your connection reverts to G speeds.
Also, unless your router is simultaneous dual band, if you have any device connecting to it via G, every device gets a G connection.

OP
C

clrk9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upon reading the previous post, I checked my connection speed. Yes, I am now connected at G Speed only ie. 54mbps instead of N as the router specs. No wonder my Apple 2G stutters a bit while playing HD movies while I surf the internet at the same time. VERY BAD. :mad:

I changed the security settings back to WPA2 and everything played smoothly but loses connection upon Sleeping applies to both Ipad and Apple TV2G.

It is not my internet connection as I have a 10mbps internet connection.

dafallrapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI the 802.11n spec states that you must use WPA2 or your connection reverts to G speeds.
Also, unless your router is simultaneous dual band, if you have any device connecting to it via G, every device gets a G connection.

That is true... Unfortunaly I have the same problem with my Belkin N+ and my Ipad. Downgrading to WEP is no option because of the safety and the speed downgrade. I think we have to wait for new firmware.

I'am going to make a case by Belkin, please do it too so Belkin now that they have to build new firmware

Dan Gambert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings that may help

In the "Wireless > Channel and SSID" options of the Belkin router, try setting "Protect Mode" to ON and also your wireless channel to something other than auto.

I had the same problem of constant disconnects with a MacBook Air and an iPad before those changes were made.

With those settings I was able to keep the WPA2 encryption enabled. Also experienced a significant internet speed boost on each device as well.

Best of luck.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you pay all this money for the iPad and it doesn't work ver frustrating. Apple needs t do a better job! I am starting to see the quality of their continually go down.

You have that so wrong the issue is many older wifi modems are not compatible or have issues with any of the latest devices Most people do not have issues. Unfortunately there is no one standard of n routers which creates havoc for some connections I recommend netgear as I have never had any real connection problems regardless what I connect to it. My installed base is more than 300 One has to make sure the security settings are correct as some devices including the ipad will not get a correct ip address

Apple's quality is one of the best that is also evident by the highest satisfaction rate out of all manufactures of computers and mobile devices world wide

dwille1498

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both the N+ and the Ipad. Both ran well since April 6 2010, until I decided life could be better/faster. Without boring you with details, I upated the firmware on the Belkin and it turned the Ipad into a wireless POC. This morning reset Belkin N+ to defaults WPA security and NO FIRMWARE update. Ver. 1.01.28 Running great again, I just can't leave well enough alone!!

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have the iPad 3G plus the Belkin N+, and it also has problem losing connection but it also happens during use!! I never had any problems when I first got it (which was at launch of the 3G) but with each upgrade of the OS I have various problems that required some tweeking of the router. I never have a problem when travelling and using wifi elsewhere, so assume it is the Belkin. I love my iPad too much to ever see any faults lol!

pacifent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, had this problem not only with the iPad, but also with my TiVo. Thank God for this thread showing me that I wasn't the only one with a Belkin N+ having this problem...since downgrading my security settings to WEP, I haven't had any problems whatsoever....

dafallrapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, had this problem not only with the iPad, but also with my TiVo. Thank God for this thread showing me that I wasn't the only one with a Belkin N+ having this problem...since downgrading my security settings to WEP, I haven't had any problems whatsoever....

Hello, downgrading to WEP is not only a downgrade of your security but also for speed. Hackers will find you an easier target using WEP and you will be able to use only 54mbps insteat of 300. That is not the intention of a 300mbps WPA2 wifi router! I called with Belkin and there is no solotion sofar.

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also had the Belkin N+ and we replaced it with the cisco linksys e3000 and everything works great!!

The Belkin N+ was not working all over our house when I went in to our masterber bedroom which behind our fireplace it did not work, and I could not VPN on my iPad to my laptop when I was out, but I can now. Love it!!!

pacifent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dafallrapper said:
Hello, downgrading to WEP is not only a downgrade of your security but also for speed. Hackers will find you an easier target using WEP and you will be able to use only 54mbps insteat of 300. That is not the intention of a 300mbps WPA2 wifi router! I called with Belkin and there is no solotion sofar.

I agree...not sure what to do but put up with it or get another router...such a bummer!

OP
C

clrk9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
new Belkin N+ firmware, now downloading. Not sure whether this will fix WIFI problem

dudewithanipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
clrk9000 --this is great!! I registered on this forum just to get on here and say thanks for the tip on the firmware update. I read somewhere that Belkin was done with firmware updates for the N+. Works perfectly now. My iPad is no longer an expensive solitaire player. Thanks!

padmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firmware update seems to be working

Man thanks for the heads up on the firmware update. That came out just in the nick of time. I almost went out and bought a new router.

The ipad seems to stay connected pretty well with the new firmware.
One weird thing on the update was that if I clicked "check firmware" on the router page it said it was already up to date but the version was not as current as the version on the Belkin website. I had to go to the Belkin site and download the new firmware and manually apply the update.

I am wondering though how everyones download speed is doing. I downloaded the speedtest app and my dl speeds while not too bad show up somewhat slower than my laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts