What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 Scenarios

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always wondered this about the iPad 1 but couldn't find a definite answer online:

Lets say you have an app, like DailyMotion on your iPad 1. You can't install the latest update that is compatible with iOS 6, since iPad 1 only can run up to iOS 5. You connect your iPad 1 to your Mac to back-up but ACCIDENTALLY update all apps on your Mac and you iPad gets updated. Will the app (DailyMotion) still be able to run? What if you payed for that app or any app for that matter?

Secondly, lets say I don't have Pages but want to buy it later on. Unfortunately, it gets updated to iOS 6 only. Can I download a previous version?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't buy an earlier version of an app from the AppStore, only the latest version is available.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't buy an earlier version of an app from the AppStore, only the latest version is available.

Well, I spoke to AppleCare and they say that if you sync your iPad 1 to your MacBook and click "update all", you won't loose your app that doesn't run on iOS 5. (In other words, if an app you have like TED gets updated to iOS 6 only, and you have iOS 5, it won't sync with your iPad 1)

Is this correct information? It would be a bummer to buy a paid app, have it get updated to an iOS version that doesn't work on your iPad, and then end up loosing it all together.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. The information is correct. Apps will not update past the operating system. When there is an iOS update available, and apps are updated to take advantage of the changes, it is necessary to update iOS first. Attempting to Update the app first simply throws an error, and a reminder that the app requires iOS X.XX.

So if your device cannot run the latest version of iOS, it will not attempt to download the latest versions of apps if they require it.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. The information is correct. Apps will not update past the operating system. When there is an iOS update available, and apps are updated to take advantage of the changes, it is necessary to update iOS first. Attempting to Update the app first simply throws an error, and a reminder that the app requires iOS X.XX.

So if your device cannot run the latest version of iOS, it will not attempt to download the latest versions of apps if they require it.

I think I didn't word it right. I meant if you click "update all" on iTunes, NOT the iPad. In that case, it would update all your apps on iTunes to the latest version, right? And if your iPad needed to be restored from iTunes, you would loose those apps?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I didn't word it right. I meant if you click "update all" on iTunes, NOT the iPad. In that case, it would update all your apps on iTunes to the latest version, right? And if your iPad needed to be restored from iTunes, you would loose those apps?

Damn. I didn't read it right, either.

I'm not sure. I assume that whether the update is on iTunes (i.e. your local computer) or Apple's server, the effect will be the same. It won't attempt to update. Where you might run into trouble is if you delete it from your iPad, then try to reinstall it.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn. I didn't read it right, either.

I'm not sure. I assume that whether the update is on iTunes (i.e. your local computer) or Apple's server, the effect will be the same. It won't attempt to update. Where you might run into trouble is if you delete it from your iPad, then try to reinstall it.

Thanks for the reply.

Reinstalling directly from the App Store would be a big problem in this scenario. I would hope there would be measures in place to prevent this but there really isn't, other than copying a backup of the iPad to the Mac/PC.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, thanks for bringing this up. I don't recall the subject coming up on the forum before (although I don't read EVERY post).

Right now, we only have the original iPad left behind, as far as the OS is concerned, but as time goes on, and later versions aren't able to be updated, it will become more critical.

It's going to be important to figure out the answers now. The iPad 2 could be next. Hopefully it will get some version of iOS 7, but who knows? We could well see an optimized version of iOS 6 that will take iPad 2 development to the end of the road.

Your scenario could be quite commonplace in a year or so.

OP
D

davyvfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thanks for bringing this up. I don't recall the subject coming up on the forum before (although I don't read EVERY post).

Right now, we only have the original iPad left behind, as far as the OS is concerned, but as time goes on, and later versions aren't able to be updated, it will become more critical.

It's going to be important to figure out the answers now. The iPad 2 could be next. Hopefully it will get some version of iOS 7, but who knows? We could well see an optimized version of iOS 6 that will take iPad 2 development to the end of the road.

Your scenario could be quite commonplace in a year or so.

On iTunes 11, you can select the apps you want to update thankfully. So, its a good idea to not "update all" if the apps do not work on the current operating system you have. I just talked with 1Password, the company who makes the best password protection for iOS and Mac/PC devices. Their app only supports current operating systems (which means no iOS 5 or lower). According to them, any iOS that does not get updates is "extremely dangerous". Likewise, they did have an iOS 5 version at some point but that got updated.

Its kind of unfortunate for those of us who can't buy an iPad every 2 years as we are just left behind. If Apple allowed downloading of previous versions on older devices I really think it would increase resale value of iPads. I could easily update my iPhone every two years but an iPad at $500 a pop is just expensive to me.

And if you don't make backups, you are left in the dust. Since if you re-download it from the App Store on the iPad, you can't if its not supported. iPad 2 could very well get a limited iOS 7, but at least its still the latest and can still run the latest apps. If they get nothing, then there goes iPad 2.

Also, as you stated, iPad 1 is the only iPad that has this problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts