What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 not giving option for upgrade ios6 ?

prasnnabhansali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, i am having i pad1. I am checking the updates while its not giving option to upgrade to ios6?

NormaGonzales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 iOS 6.0

I, i am having i pad1. I am checking the updates while its not giving option to upgrade to ios6?

I have the iPad 1 and mine doesn't give the option either, however I have read and heard it is not available for it and that when the other iPads have been recently updated that they have lost many of there apps and are not happy.

wjb216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple really has gone too far this time! My original iPad is less then 2 years old, was the newest version available when I bought it, and is still under AppleCare. Now it's an orphan! I doubt there has ever been a computer product in history that has been orphaned so quickly. I also own an iMac and an iPhone, but I am no longer an Apple fan! Good companies just don't desert customers that quickly!

alijafri72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should I throw away my iPad 1? Probably just give it to my 5 year old to put away with her other toys.Why does Apple assume its customers would automatically upgrade to iPad2 and iPad3 just because they're out? Its hardly been 2 years! Nobody told me that iPads are disposable. It'll be interesting to see how long the "new" iPad remains new.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Calm down, calm down, calm down, everyone. If you have iOS 5 on your original first generation iPad, you most likely know what I talking about. iOS 5 is running very slow on iPad 1, and iOS 6 is likely to be even worse. Even if Apple allowed it on iPad 1, you would most likely want to downgrade.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Goofy is correct. Ios6 would be awful on your iPad. Most apps still work. My daughter has my old one and she hasn't complained yet!!! She is 18 and trust me, she would let me know straight away. I'm sorry about this but they did warn us in June, I think, that this would happen. It will still do most things.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

wjb216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wrong and you guys are correct if (this is a big if) Apple continues to maintain and improve iOS 5 for the iPad one. All indications are that they won't. IPads should not become disposable in less then 2 years!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody, including Apple is suggesting you dispose of it...

Your iPad should be happily running IOS 5.1.1 and ALL the apps you have purchased for it. You will not be able to upgrade to IOS6 and you will not be able to upgrade to new versions of apps which require IOS6, but you are still entitled to continue using your iPad1 for as long as it remains useful. The vast majority of new apps will NOT require IOS 6 install. Only ones that use exclusive features, such as the latest Keynote, Pages, and Numbers. But if you are already owners of those products the existing versions continue to work just fine on your iPad1.

Apple won't continue to improve IOS 5. They may issue bug fixes. However, it IS a stable and reliable operating system with little or no issues I am aware of. Show me any other tablet platform which has been given better support by its manufacturer and I'll happily eat my words.

Personally, I'll be happily using my iPad1 on 5.1.1 in the office for many months to come...

Last edited:

alijafri72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess iOS5.1.1 does work well enough and almost all apps still do run fine, even the latest ones, and will continue to do so. So we're not really complaining about that, I guess we're just sore that Apple kinda left us in the cold without even a mention - after all, we were the first people to adopt the new iPad 1 when it first came out, when everyone was still skeptical about it, calling it a giant iPhone. We had faith, and we invested our money in it, and we, all us iPad 1 owners are what made the iPads 2 & 3 possible - we caused the revolution - and for Apple not to acknowledge that with even a cursory mention hurts a little bit. That's all.Of course I still value my iPad 1, I still use it all the time, and its still good enough for me not to upgrade, even with the swanky retina screen and HD cameras of the iPad 3 and its new OS. IPad 1 holds its ground.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Of course the iPad original is great. It still beats everything out there, even now! But unfortunately, technology moves on, why wouldn't it? The original iPhone isn't supported anymore and that is just life! It was just a matter of time! iPad 3 won't be supported in a few years either so take comfort in that! Enjoy your baby. We still do.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

wjb216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The original iPhone is six years old and cost $199, my iPad 1 is less then two years old and cost over $600. Clearly it was orphaned too quickly! Even an Apple apologist should be able to see that!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wjb216 said:
The original iPhone is six years old and cost $199, my iPad 1 is less then two years old and cost over $600. Clearly it was orphaned too quickly! Even an Apple apologist should be able to see that!

The pace of technological change is accelerating and today's devices will become outdated even faster. Your iPad 1 will still do all it was designed to do for quite some time to come.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People still use VCR's,Cassette players today and even vinyl players are making a comeback so just because technology is moving fast doesn't mean you have to keep up with the pace.

Old tech still gets used even today.

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I have a different perspective because I bought my iPad 1 a few months after the two came out, knowing I was buying yesterday's tech. But, it is still in brand new condition, under Apple care, and running 5.1.1 like some of you.

I understand that this is the new world of disposable electronics, with 2 year life cycles vs 3-5 years.

My suspicion is this... soon, there will be no more support for 5.1.1, and iPad 1 users will have a choice 1) jailbreak and rely on 3rd party support, which is a very simple (for non techies) and very viable solution, or upgrade. I hope to get another year, or so, out of my ipad.

Whatever any of you choose to do, it's important to understand that this is not personal, and it's not money grubbing. It's business and it's progress. The annual ipad release isn't geared towards existing ipad users, it is for whomever hasn't bought one yet. We are just a bonus. But, we have to understand that they can't support us forever. If we don't want to upgrade, we need to support ourselves, and live with the limitations of our devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts